FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the brand new Renault Captur Forums. Our forums are open now and are free to join - please signup, pop in and say hello!

We're aiming to keep you all updated with the latest news, ordering information and any other Captur gossip we can find. Let us know if you have any Captur information to share.

1.2TCE timing chain & bad MPG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Biggeege View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggeege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.2TCE timing chain & bad MPG
    Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:35pm
Afternoon,

1st thing ! Our 1.2tce developed a rattle, I asked for it to be checked out and it turned out to be the timing chain tensioner was loosening! apparently a common problem on the 1.2TCE engine! So it has a new tensioner kit fitted under warrenty and its quiet again now.

2nd thing - we are currently getting 270-300miles from a tank. its working out at 32mpg. shocking seeming its supposed to be about 50mpg in the book (yes I know they all lie)
Just wonder if others are suffering from bad mpg from mixed driving, my wife drives 50 miles a day, start stop and motorway. My 308 gti with 270 bhp gets 34-36mpg. so my mrs is quite annoyed at having to refuel after 270 miles!

I'm wondering if there is an issue causing it to over fuel, compression problem maybe.

Sponsored Links

Smoke1958 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 6:07pm
The car is telling me I'm getting just over 38mpg and considering the way I drive I'm not too bothered with that.
Dynamique S Nav TCe120 Manual Arizona with Diamond Black Roof
terryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 6:09pm
Needless to say, fuel economy varies according to driving conditions. 
On my 1.2Tce Auto, mpg improved as the engine "loosened up" and got to about 42 mpg after a few thousand miles. This gave a driving range of about 400 miles, although I usually didn't push it quite that far.
I drive with quite a light right foot so not everyone will get (or want to get) that return.
STEVEA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STEVEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:09pm
Wow! I'm shocked by those figures. I drive an astra estate, 2.0 diesel auto, and I get 44mpg around and about....no motorway driving.
1.5 dci
grumpy crdi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy crdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by STEVEA STEVEA wrote:

Wow! I'm shocked by those figures. I drive an astra estate, 2.0 diesel auto, and I get 44mpg around and about....no motorway driving.

That's comparing apples and oranges with the petrol versus your diesel. My dci90 auto is averaging 48mpg. Bit of mixed motoring and crawling around greater Manchester. Slightly less in this crap weather. Petrol auto will never compete with that
Biggeege View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggeege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by terryp terryp wrote:

Needless to say, fuel economy varies according to driving conditions. 
On my 1.2Tce Auto, mpg improved as the engine "loosened up" and got to about 42 mpg after a few thousand miles. This gave a driving range of about 400 miles, although I usually didn't push it quite that far.
I drive with quite a light right foot so not everyone will get (or want to get) that return.

this car is on 20,000 miles, problem is my wife has a horribly busy route to work so much the start stop doesn't kick in. she also has heaters full blast in the winter. plus she drives like the pedals are on and off buttons so its not helping the situation.

using the eco button is making hardly any difference due to the conditions above.

a hybrid would be the best option so all the time queuing would be on battery power, but the cost to change to something like a Kia niro wipes out the money spent on fuel.

I have seen on the kajar forum other people struggleing to see 300 miles from a tank.

tempted to book it in for a health check after they did the timing chain. but I think I will be wasting my time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic