Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying the Captur EDC and have read reports that say there is a delay when exiting a junction etc., and that the auto can be a "bit slow witted". Their words not mine . Has anybody had that experience? Your comments would be welcome

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi John
welcome to the Forum

I am sure someone will be able to help you with this

I test drove the auto and didn't find any problems with it at all

I actually purchased the 90tce which pulls away nicely but it is manual

Lyn

·
Registered
84 Posts
have auto and no problems....driving in ECO mode slows things down a bit as you expect...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
IIt's a great car and especially in auto form! The car is not a boy racer...but saying that it responds quickly...once run in ..
IF you want quick acceleration, then leave it out of eco mode.. or the usual kick down on the accelerator will get you moving quickly.
You're chosing the BEST combination by going 120..auto..and petrol. It is truly a joy to drive and with all the right choices made, it performs well, smoothly, and economically.
The choices are suited to the body size and weight, and it's a great car!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the reply. Obviosly the answer is to keep it out of ECO mode to avoid the hesitation. All I have to do now is order it and wait until August.

Your comments have been most helpful.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Howdy Mr Cooper sir, i have the 1.5 manual and i have learned to click it out of ECO as i approach a roundabout to give me that extra needed power when exiting to keep me out of everyone's way, then pop it back into ECO when i'm up to speed.

I know that's not terribly relevant to you but it's a similar tale to what Ythsie was saying.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There is a slight hesitation in eco mode...but honestly nothing much.. As everyone has commented previously...fast take off??...out of eco..to make sure!
Best automatic box used in this car segment and in many above!!

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Do you have to press the footbrake to move the transmission lever from "N" to "D" when accelerating away from a standstill (even if the handbrake is applied)?

·
Registered
924 Posts
There is no need to move into N when waiting at junctions. The EDC computer takes care of the clutch control. Also if you use the footbrake you get the hill start assist; like the manual versions.
The hesitation talked about is more than likely the small engine not developing its full potential until the turbo kicks in. Whilst the 1.2 is often likened to the older Renault 1.6 (ie 110BHP) you do have to get the turbo to spool up to achieve that power. However unlike older engines, it does not max out at 80% of its revs. There is an "overpower" profile which will keep increasing power until 5000rpm is achieved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi have had 1.2 auto for 6weeks but pleased so far but am not a boy racer so could be me going steady on hols this weekend so it's first long run will give my verdict then

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Marvin 63 it's so minimal, that it's hardly noticeable...smooth as silk really as you must have realised by now...A great car in the model that we've chosen...

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Can one of you with an EDC answer my question please - do you have to press the footbrake to move the selector form "N" to "D" when the car is stationary?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The answer is yes, however there is no need to put it into N unless it's a long stop.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
I've been used to driving older autos that don't have all these silly interlocks brought about by paranoid lawyers, scared of the slightest incident becoming a major claim.
Bit of a nightmare as far as I am concerned if you have to press the brake pedal each time you want to move out of neutral

·
Registered
924 Posts
It is not necessary to either have the handbrake on or put your foot on the footbraketo move from neutral to drive.
There is a large button on the leading edge of the gear lever. This is used to put the car into reverse from neutral. Again the gear shift will move into reverse from neutral without the handbrake on, or the footbrake pressed.

That button is also used to move the car from Park to Reverse. But this time the footbrake must be pressed.

So the gear sequence is this:
- press footbrake, press gear shift button,pull leverfrom park to reverse.
- pull lever from reverse to neutral. no need to touch any other controls.
- pull lever from neutral to drive. no need to touch any other controls.
- push lever from drive to neutral. no need to touch any other controls.
- press gear lever button, push lever from neutral to reverse. no need to touch any other controls.
- press gear lever button, push lever from reverse to park. no need to touch any other controls.

Does seem to be a bit wacky, and it is possible for the lever to be "accidentally" moved into drive, and start the car moving, even if there is no handbrake applied. The car could shoot forward.

The same thing can happen in reverse, although, this time the reverse button will need to be pressed before moving the lever into reverse from neutral.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts