Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any point to having 17 inch wheels? Is there an advantage over the 16 inch? Is it just aesthetic or does it improve something like:<ul>[*]Ride[*]Handling[*]Ground clearance[*]Grip[*]Wear[*]Profile[/list]
Any thoughts would be welcome.

You can bet your life they are more expensive

·
Registered
47 Posts
There willbe lesstilting inside the turns, better braking, better grip at highway but worse when the road is bumpy, usuallymore wear and less comfort.

I really like the comfort of the 16". For less tiltingI would go for lower springs instead of 17".

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just wait until you come to replace them. There is a **** of a difference in price.

·
Registered
921 Posts
awq said:
Just wait until you come to replace them. There is a **** of a difference in price.

I wish you hadn't said that
Mine came as standard

·
Registered
428 Posts
As did mine. Don't know if I would have gone for them had I the option. You cannot really tell the difference.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
BigPete said:
Is there any point to having 17 inch wheels? Is there an advantage over the 16 inch?
The overall diameter of wheel and tyre will be the same, so a 16 inch wheel means tyres with deeper sidewalls when compared to 17" wheels.
Deeper sidewalls means more comfort as the tyre sidewall flexing is part of the suspension... however this flexing also means less precision in handling due to the deflection of the tyre tread from the intended path when you corner. With the larger diameter wheels, and tyres having stiffer, shorter sidewalls, there is less "squirm" when you corner so in theory they should last longer too; however you may find that you corner faster on 17" wheels than 16" ones,so any advantage could easily be wiped out.

In the UK it appears that only Expression and Expression Plus models come with 16" wheels as standard; all other models have 17" fitted. Whilst 17" tyres appear to be more expensive than 16" at the moment, this may be due to their limited fitting. Once they become more popular the prices should fall in relation to 16"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts