Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a brand new Captur from the Westcroft Milton Keynes Renault dealer on the 22nd of Feb and I was told 8-12 weeks delivery time as I wanted an auto. I didn't really want to wait that long but said it was ok. I was told in late march that it would be delivered to the dealer on June 10th and ready for me a few days later...that's 16 weeks! They said that it's possible it may be ready for my birthday on the 19th of June! That's17 weeks!

I called Renault direct who said that the dealer should not have said 8 weeks...but they couldn't do anything as it was between myself and the dealer. I was told that I could not cancel the car without loosing my deposit, even though the delivery time was doubled....surely that's not legal?

Note: This is my first new car so I am really excited about it :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
You will likely see that car in July; what is written on your order in terms of a delivery date?

They are saying it is "possible" that the car "may" be ready by your birthday, they aren't commiting themselves to a date as they know that most likely it wont be the 19th June; the dealer will already have a very clear indication of when the car will arrive with them; I have three auto's on order and all three were ordered around February time, I know when they will be with me as I have dates already, ask them to check Distrinet for a delivery to them date, the "AAD" and not do give "possibles" or "mays", ask them for the date!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Andyherts said:
I ordered a brand new Captur from the Westcroft Milton Keynes Renault dealer on the 22nd of Feb and I was told 8-12 weeks delivery time as I wanted an auto. I didn't really want to wait that long but said it was ok. I was told in late march that it would be delivered to the dealer on June 10th and ready for me a few days later...that's 16 weeks! They said that it's possible it may be ready for my birthday on the 19th of June! That's17 weeks!

I called Renault direct who said that the dealer should not have said 8 weeks...but they couldn't do anything as it was between myself and the dealer. I was told that I could not cancel the car without loosing my deposit, even though the delivery time was doubled....surely that's not legal?

Note: This is my first new car so I am really excited about it :)
You can cancel your order and demand your deposit back. How do I know this? Because I did just that with a Mazda last year after taking legal advice. If no goods have changed hands, if the car has not been registered in your name and if the dealer can resell the car without incurring financial loss you are entitled to a refund. Contract law does not allow the seller to be in a better financial position by keeping hold of your deposit and then reselling the car for the original price. If you have a legal helpline as part of your home insurance give them a call. The Mazda dealer initially told me I would lose my deposit but on taking advice from another Mazda dealer and the legal helpline I backed the original dealer into a corner and he refunded the full deposit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This was exactly my gripe when it came to ordering the car. Initially, I was given a false impression of when it would be available and then when I actually signed, it was always "maybe this date" or "possibly this date".
If I were given a definite period between two reasonable dates, then it would have saved a lot of hassle and stress.
It would have also helped my sales rep as I would not have had to bother him all of the time, not to mention the sales company itself who felt that they should compensate me when I filled in a customer survey.

Edited by: awq

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies
They've confirmed that the car will be delivered to the dealer on the 10th of June...but they won't give me a date when I can collect it as they have to do 'things' to it before it's ready....so no idea what I do about insurance etc...I've always been a named driver until this car.

The dealer seemed very blasé about it all..perhaps I should speak to the dealer principle once I can collect? I'll have to go with what they're telling me...I'd just like an apology and recognition that the delivery time was unacceptable....just a 'sorry' would do lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I signed up for my black beauty Tce90 3 weeks ago I was told : week 25 which was 8 weeks / then app 2 weeks after the dealer called me to tell they couldn't deliver my car before week 34.
So it turned out not to be 8 weeks !!! But 17 weeks.

A fellow countryman had exactly the same experience so they seem to know it from the we're beginning.

Anyway if that's the car we want - and it is - we will as he said : just have to enjoy the excitement a little longer

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
Andy, how have you managed such a short delivery delay for an auto? I ordered mine within days of you, 27 Feb, and a week later was given the news that it should be with the dealer on 15 July, and with me hopefully before the end of that week. The only factory "extra" I'm getting is the space-saver wheel/tyre. Parking sensors and the alarm are apparently fitted at the UK import centre (which worries me immensely, they should be done at the factory IMHO).

The tax and MOT on my present Renault run out in August so if the car doesn't arrive in time, I have already stated that I will cancel (and I guess I'll just go out and buy a used Toyota instead). This will be my second new Renault (if it makes it) and the first one was fraught with delays. I doubt that there will be a third if Renault UK carry on treating us private buyers like this; I've not even been given a build date yet although I have asked

Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey IvorETower,
I've also asked for a spacesaver wheel and as far as I know I've got just about every option you can have on a captur...for £19,000 it BETTER turn up in June lol...as it's already been said..more time to be excited.

I was also concerned that the final ballon payment was due on my Rangerover in late June...which I am trading in...it's a lovely car but I want something a little smaller and more economical. As I won't have the money for my balloon payment (didn't expect to have the car by now) I have managed to get the dealership to email a confirmation that they will do a private purchase of my rangerover if my Captur isn't there in time...I have explained that if they try to offer me considerabley less for the trade in because the mileage has gone up that I will stomp my feet like they've never seen and so will my 7,000 twitter followers lol...it's not my fault I had to drive it for another 2 months...the delay is theirs

I'm sure it will be fine...and if not...well I'll cross that bridge blah blah blah

·
Registered
921 Posts
Andyherts said:
Thanks for your replies
They've confirmed that the car will be delivered to the dealer on the 10th of June...but they won't give me a date when I can collect it as they have to do 'things' to it before it's ready....so no idea what I do about insurance etc...I've always been a named driver until this car.

The dealer seemed very blasé about it all..perhaps I should speak to the dealer principle once I can collect? I'll have to go with what they're telling me...I'd just like an apology and recognition that the delivery time was unacceptable....just a 'sorry' would do lol

Hi
get a quote for your insurance
You know the make and model
Your quote will ask if you know your car reg yet just say or tick NO
Your quote will be in place for usually I think 90 days but check that out
when you have your car reg you can then fulfil your quote
You might also find that Renault do a 7 day cover period.......

Lyn

·
Registered
7 Posts
just to add my comments as its slightly relevant - I ordered on Feb 3rd - the Captur Dynamique S MediaNav dci 90Auto EDC eco2 with ivory paint, black roof, alloys andtrim, plus the r-link system and charcoal seat covers.

I was told 12 weeks when considering the purchase and when I finally signed, the delivery date was sold to me as 'yeah about 12 weeks away', it was actually 16 weeks. Which I was very annoyed with but they have you over a barrel. You can choose to pull out but then you don't get the car you want.

I am due to pick it up next Friday 30th May. fingers crossed!

The excuse that your issue is with Renault though and not the dealeris utter rubbish. The agreement is with the company named on the order form not Renault. Therefore they are beholden to everything that document implies. In fact Renault can fail some or all of their responsibilities but at the end of the day you can hold the dealership accountable. It is up to them to then take the issues up with Renault.

If you were to buy an electrical item and it break you would take it back to the shop or store you bought it not the manufacturer and the same applies here.

Good luck and I hope you all get your cars in a timely fashion

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all I ordered my captur on the 7th march and I was told I'd get it on the 30th April I had to phone them for an update delivery date they then they now told me end of June it will be in Southampton 10 days before they get it cardiff renault hope I do get it this time

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
Andyherts said:
I ordered a brand new Captur from the Westcroft Milton Keynes Renault dealer on the 22nd of Feb and I was told 8-12 weeks delivery time as I wanted an auto. I didn't really want to wait that long but said it was ok. I was told in late march that it would be delivered to the dealer on June 10th and ready for me a few days later...that's 16 weeks!
I wonder if maybe the best time to buy a new car is a wet Bank Holiday Monday? I spend Monday morning going round a few dealers and all were deserted. A not-that-local Renault dealer proved very interesting; apparently all the dealers should have been told from launch of the Captur that autos would be in very limited supply until mid 2014 at the earliest. People ordering at the UK launch had to wait 9 or 10 months for an auto, and even now the delay for autos is only just starting to reduce from 20 weeks as availability increases slightly. However the huge demand for the Captur won't stop the only factory where they are built from having its summer shutdown for 10 days !
Clio factory orders are even worse (so I was told) with certain combinations probably not now available until the end of the year if ordered now.

I'm due an update on my delivery date in the next few days but TBH I've been waiting so long (13 weeks tomorrow) that I've lost all excitement and would quite happily cancel and buy something else if only I could find something that I liked and can afford !

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hang in there my friend!! It's a great car! I ordered my one in June last year and got it in 16 weekd..
RHD are still taking that amount of time at least for the auto from what I see, but you will be totally satisfied if you can hold out.
Saying that, this forum kept me sane as it was the first new car we purchased and being so enthusiastic about it didn't really help...lol!
Patience is a virtue....and with Renaults they seem to try that out to the full!
I can assure you that waiting for the auto version is well worth while and it really is a dream car for the kind of cash you pay for it!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good news!
I rang the dealer today just to see if I needed to do anything about insurance etc (yes I'm totally useless lol) as it was due into the dealer on the 10th and they said it's arrived! That's 2 weeks earlier than I was expecting...so still much later than when I was originally told...but completely awesome that I should have my Captur in a few days! YAYYYYYYYYYYY haha

The dealer said they're going to sort out the finance paperwork and other details and get back to me...so it should be WELL before my birthday on the 19th..happy birthday to me!

Edited by: Andyherts

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi all I posted earlier stating that I was expecting receipt of my auto diesel captur on 29th/30th May. They have just told me today that it will now be the 17th June. I extremely annoyed about this obviously on a couple of fronts.
1) The fact that on the 21st May things were still on schedule when I spoke to the dealer but in the space of 7 days they've extended by a further 3 weeks!!
2) the fact that if and its a big IF they deliver on 17th June it'll be 19 weeks, when I was originally told 10-12.
I am seriously considering withdrawing as nothing deserves this much disappointment, I am now car less as I sold my car less week once I had confirmation from the dealer that we were on target with only 8 days to go (I figured their might be an odd day or delay but not 3 weeks!).
Can someone/anyone advise me on my rights regarding my £500 deposit.
The dealership are saying its not their problem as usual and have provided me with a number to contact at Renault Customer Services.
Incredibly upset and frustrated.
Thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi pk30015,
When I rang Renault direct they agreed the delivery times quoted never should have been quoted...but they told me that they could not help as only the dealer was responsible for what I was told during the sales process.

I was told that I would loose my deposit if I cancelled...but I'm not sure that's legal if the sale/contract has not been completed and they cannot complete on time.

However, I have decided to go with the flow and expect more delays...don't cut your nose off to spite your face...the dealer won't be that fussed as they will be able to sell it onto someone else but you'll be without a car...my opinion is just hang on a bit longer...it'll be worth it and once your're in your Captur you'll forget all about the delay

Edited by: Andyherts

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
Tell the dealer that unless they can lend you a car you will have to cancel your order and go out and buy a used car immediately since they told you when your new car would be ready. Be prepared for some haggling; they'll probably try to say that the possibility of a delay was on the order paperwork somewhere, but you can counter by telling them that 3 weeks ago they confirmed the date to you, and at that stage they should have known that the car had been built and was on its way from the factory. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
I face a similar situation as I have to sell my old Scenic before I take delivery of the Captur, although in my case I can just drive it to a scrapyard if worse scenario occurs. ALternatively I just say that I want the Captur SORN'd until I have sold, but they may say that it cannot be registered unless I insure it, but I won't insure it until the Scenic is sold

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on my Captur...I've just been called by the dealer and they have confirmed I can pick it up next Wednesday!
7 day insurance is sorted and beginning Wednesday and I'm now off to get some quotes

1 - 20 of 51 Posts