Renault Captur Forums banner

2020 Captur

13K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  Oldboy 
#1 ·
Just been to doctor and read October auto Express with first look at new captur due 2020. Will have plug in hybrid 1.6 Nissan petrol and the new 1.3 petrol engine so if I can hang on I may get another captur if it's a 1.3 auto. Looks like captur but "different" Lots of driver aid gizmos. I suppose we will start getting more info next year.

#5 ·
Just been to view the 2020 Captur and had a test drive in the 1.3TCE Auto. (I'm not a previous model Captur owner but hired one on holiday and liked it). So here are a few thoughts and a couple of questions.
I liked the drive. The engine was more powerful than I was expecting. Pretty quiet even when accelerating quickly. I would say the autobox was very smooth and possibly less hesitant than my Audi A3 DSG auto. Bit of a jolt on a particularly bad pothole, my Audi coping slightly better with the same one but generally road noise was low and handling and ride fine for me. I really liked it but a couple of things. The door pocket has a bulge in the front for the speaker and doesn't open that wide. I am six foot and getting out not that easy even with door fully open and seat fully back but I do have limited bend (90deg) in my right knee so I doubt it would affect "normal" people. Also I sat in the 'S' version with a sunroof and in my normal driving position my hair was brushing against the headlining. This surprised me because I don't get that in the Audi and I thought this was a taller car although perhaps the seat is higher to start. I could lower the seat but that kind of defeats the object of a mini SUV. It is extremely well specced even at the lower end but the top spec I think has less than the GT-line in the old model which had hands free park assist and possibly a couple of other things. The park assist doesn't even seem to be an option with just a 360 degree camera, which brings me on to the next question - is it useful or is it just a gimmick?

#6 ·
I go on several car forums especially when researching a new car. They are usually pretty vibrant, especially when a brand new version is released. The new Captur has been in the showrooms for 3 weeks now. Is there really that little enthusiasm for it and if so why before I decide to buy one? They are reviewed as a vast improvement over the previous model so not sure why the apathy. Perhaps it is because there aren't any actual owners and it does say "Owners Club" but you'd have thought there would have been some ifs and buts discussed by now.

#8 · (Edited)
#10 · (Edited)
Hi
joined a couple of weeks or so ago and couldn’t find a dedicated 2020 Captur thread at the time so I posted in the newbies section

I’ve ordered a 155TCE S edition 3 weeks ago and have just emailed the dealer for a more accurate delivery date as they are made in Spain and am worried about timings due to the Corona Virus
I’ve only ordered a new car once before a Qashqai+2 9 years ago and that’s what I’m trading in.
I’m 6’4” and didn’t find the driving position uncomfortable and was overall impressed, especially with the looks and Tech. I jumped from a 6 year old Zafira to the Qashqai and was astounded with the improved tech then but now it’s a massive jump in 9 years.
I have trawled through reviews, What Car gave it 3 Stars others 4.
What I do find is that obviously reviews from reviewers that seem to make a living reviewing numerous and at times top end cars give far lower ratings than the ’Mr Average’ reviewers, who at times seem to love the car so much they want to take it to bed...?
As I class myself as Mr Average I was suitably impressed and really don’t see the point in spending double the money for a BMW or Mercedes badge and am eagerly awaiting delivery content that I’ve saved 20k...??
PS...Though I would say I do love the new car I won’t be buying a super,super Kingsize bed as dont think the wife would appreciate it...??

PPS...couldn’t see the auto express UTube review?
link below if not already posted

#11 ·
Ordered mine - also S version but 130TCE which seemed plenty enough power for my driving style. At the time the dealer said end of April/May but as things stand I am thinking I will be lucky if I get it this year! Agree with you about the reviews, especially What Car who I don't believe have driven the UK version on the 17" wheels. They can be odd because they reviewed the Puma which had more criticisms than the Captur in many areas then gave it 4 or 5 *! The problem is with these journalist reviews is they are often fairly young drivers whose priorities are often completely different to the target market. My priorities are comfort, quiet and not too bumpy! Incidentally my only criticism was I have limited knee flexion and found the door doesn't open that wide and the bulging speaker in the door further restricts getting out of the car in tight parking spots.

#12 ·
I am old enough now to think that there is too much tech in a modern car. I have had scores of engines and gearboxes apart in my life and career but I balked at working on my Scenic EDC box last year. Every new car needs a different diagnostic system and, even if you can get your hands down as far as the auxiliary belt, you have to remove half the car bodywork to get at a bolt. Just look at the reversing light on your new Captur - imagine needing a new bulb (I hate that word). Despite that, it is not a bad car. Could be better though. Forget the What Car reviews unless you only carry rectangular suitcases of various sizes and really need a cupholder. Don't forget that car reviewers are running out of new things to comment on. For a sensible comment look at @dcweather above. Explains why my driver's door speaker is scratched up. I bet What Car didn't mention that. Also, internal storage is poor for a Renault, but compares well with BMW.

#13 ·
Mine is supposed to land as he put it on the 10th May
Wanted it for the 14th for a few days away for anniversary so doubt that will happen especially with the world crisis.
I’m 54 but a very young 54...?
I think it looks a lot more sporty than the out going model which I very nearly bought but thought I’d regret it as the newer model impressed me so much.
I’m looking forward to it even more now as with the Crisis it looks like the only thing I’ll be doing this year, unless they ban driving...??

#14 ·
I popped into my dealer yesterday after he called me about changing mine on my PCP.
Had a test drive of the new 1.0Tce and I was very impressed, much more refined and perky compared to the 0.9 I currently have. I must say also the new Captur is a lovely drive and feels very upmarket compared to my current one.
Anyway after a chat about waiting times and delivery delays due to the virus he found an Iconic 1.0Tce in Iron Blue in stock which should be ready for pick up next week if we don't get locked down!
  • I didn't mind the all over blue as I thought the silver roof rails took the edge off ?

#17 ·
Finally collected my S Line 130 TCE auto yesterday. Not really driven it much yet but first impressions are great. Got Highland Grey with black roof and it looks stunning - one of the attractions and a couple of neighbours already complimentary about appearance. Big infotainment system works well and Sat nav and radio leave Audi A3 in the dark ages. Might have helped as I set each pre-set station each one seemed to be playing one of my favourites! The biggest downside for me is the ridiculous keyless fob. It's nearly the size that a mobile phone was a few years back and has no loop or hole for a key ring. I've kept my car key on a ring with my house keys for 50 years and never lost them. I'm gonna lose this thing. Whoever thought it was a chic design should be sacked! Only other thing, as I mentioned before is the bulge in the door caused by the speaker which restricts getting out of the car in tight situations. A shame because the decent height would have been a great asset for people with restricted knee flexibility. I will do a more in depth review when I've had it longer.

#22 ·
Hi, I just bought one exactly like your a month ago and its having problems with the AC. Does yours work fine. I took it back to the house and they reset the system .It worked for a couple of days and now is having the same issues. It switches to fan by itself and then back to AC again. I´m looking for owners just to double check if theirs are ok so I can go back to the house again and get the AC replaced. Thanks a lot for your reviews. I really like the car and the model but its just this what is getting on my nerves now..

#18 ·
Sounds like you are getting on well with the new version of the Captur! Renault has ironed out a lot of the bugs that infested earlier models but I would still beware the dreaded electronic glitches that plague cars with so much tech on board. Just wait till the autonomous driving stuff arrives. Would you trust such cars like Renault and Fiat to drive for you? :). Hope you enjoy the car as much as I certainly do with my 65 plate dci90 automatic. Bought from new. No significant problems and coming up to 5 years old. My biggest gripe about Renault is the dealerships. They don't give a **** about warranty work and will lie their way out of any claim. I suspect that Renault don't pay them enough for warranty jobs so they try to avoid them

#19 ·
...... a few more observations. All very nice really. I can only really compare with my Audi A3 Sportback really. The way the multimedia system and sat nav work seem much better. There is a bit more road noise though but it's not bad. I was slightly surprised as the Audi had quite low profile tyres. I like the driving aids, particularly blind spot monitoring and the reversing camera is very bright and has nice wide angle. One thing that may be a step back from the previous multi-media systems is it doesn't appear that you can upload speed cameras and your own POIs which is a bit of a bummer.

#20 ·
Renault's infotainment systems always have seemed to be behind the times. It's a bit of an oddity really because the cars take a while to develop, but you would think that at launch, they would want to have the most up-to-date system that they could get.... and the new Captur is a really new design

#21 · (Edited)
Well it is pretty smart and functions really well. Very easy to use ...... but I now find there isn't even an SD card slot despite it being shown in the handbook. Unless it's hidden elsewhere.
There seems to be a completely useless 12v cigarette lighter type socket in its place. I mean who smokes in a car these days? Oh, I guess the French !

#23 ·
The A/C seems okay on mine but I haven't really used it much yet so I will keep an eye on it and give you an update on here in a week or two.
A couple of updates - of the gimmicks I am finding the auto high beam and blind spot monitoring very good. I can't make my mind up yet about auto lane control but seems ok and quite useful. Now I have perfected my seat adjustment I am not finding the bulky door speaker so bad for access but my foot does just touch it but I accept people with normal knees wouldn't have a problem. Again, not done many long journeys yet but mpg appears promising considering the engine is still tight. Got just over 50 mpg on a journey and driving style that probably would have got about 52mpg in my 1.0l Tfsi Audi A3 auto. So far i have found the autobox superior to the VW group 7speed DSG, It is equally smooth but much less hesitant pulling away at roundabouts etc.

#25 ·
Just driven from Essex to Brighton and back. There was a long stretch along the M23 that was 50mph average and I didn't go over 70mph much on M25 and A23 as still "running in" but I got an astonishing average 68 mpg in Eco mode and it was actually on 70 mpg till I was about 5 miles from home when I hit heavy slow moving traffic queue.

#26 ·
Heck, I was feeling quite pleased with my average of 48mpg until I read this. I have just completed 2000 miles in my S Edition 130 TCE auto. This is made up of a mix of motorway/dual carriage way, country A roads and a fair chunk of town driving. Still very good compared to the ~35mpg I used to get from my 2 litre Kuga. I will own up to not using eco-mode and perhaps being a bit brisk on motorways (although I have been good and keeping the revs below 2000 as I have been running in throughout). My longer runs include Wiltshire to Southampton and back and Wiltshire to South Devon and back. I do find the Capture to be a relaxed and comfortable cruiser both on motorways and country roads.

#27 ·
@Oldboy, as a fellow old boy I am pretty good at extracting max mpg from cars. I always seem to get the top end or higher of what people quote! If it helps, since then on a more normal long journey round M25 and A21 and a few lanes, at night, and little traffic I got 53 mpg which is a more realistic target. I wasn't trying that hard and there were no long constant 50mph stretches which is pretty much optimum for max fuel consumption. Around town it seems to be about 46mpg but they are never accurate measurements on short journeys.
I'm not finding it quite as comfortable as my Audi A3 as it sways and joggles about more but that is to be expected for any SUV vs a hatchback I guess. Bit more tyre noise as well but nothing too intrusive. I'm six foot and I have to say the seat position and pedals could have been designed better. I like the seat right back with a slight recline but the steering wheel fully out only just lets me reach it so you would have to drive with locked out straight arms. So I come forward a notch and then my right thigh is very slightly unsupported. This is partly because the accelerator pedal is too high and so you have to raise your leg slightly at low speeds. There is also nowhere to put your accelerator foot to the side if you want to stretch or rest it on a long journey. I realise most people wouldn't notice any of this but if you are older with two dodgy knees you would! I would also have liked to be able to put in my own POI's like speed cameras and Nature Reserve locations but otherwise I think the Info system is pretty good although voice recognition is a bit patchy. The Navigation seems to let you either have metric or ridiculously miles and feet !! Surely somebody could have told the French it should be miles and yards.
But despite these gripes I am pretty pleased overall and no faults in the first 700 miles.

#28 ·
I have now had my Capture for three months, and have driven some 2250 miles. Still sitting at around 48mpg but I am more than happy with that. My town driving is often very stop start which will drive the rate down, while I am perhaps cruising at 70 rather than 50 on some of the longer runs.

I too am pleased with my Captur. There are minor gripes. I have the "check tyre pressure" issue which is mildly irritating. Our expectations are set by our previous experiences though and for me the Captur was a deliberate move to a smaller car and it has been a success. I too am over six foot tall, but with long arms and legs seem to be able to find good driving positions. The key for me is to be able to get the driver seat as high as possible so cabin height is an issue for me. Even with the sunroof the Captur is tall enough to accommodate me. I find the Captur very quiet after my Kuga. I have been pleasantly surprised by what I feel is a low level of tyre noise, which was a pleasant surprise given they have the same 18 inch wheels and similar tyres.

The SatNav has been idiosyncratic at times, but no worse than the Google and Gamin systems I have used in the past. It is clear and simple to use. I also find the media system easy to use - but have not tried voice control yet. The driver aids all seem to work well (although speed limit recognition occasionally misses changes and does not seem to always understand the 30 mph default in built up areas).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.