Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you more knowledgable folks help me out as I'm stuck!

ECO mode - how do I get the display to show me my driving style etc? I can see the word ECO on the dash shows up but nothing else and I can't find where the settings are to make it show up?

Roll back - my captur seems to roll back terribly on hills and it scares the life out of me when I'm stuck in traffic or at traffic Lights on hills. I've taken to changing my
Route if I can. Aren't I supposed to have hill start assist? Might this be switched off too and if so how do I turn it back on. The rolling back is far worse than any car I've ever driven before and it's scaring me.

Cheers
Lisa

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
Hill assist is supposed to hold the car on the brakes for up to 2 seconds after you release the footbrake.

You have EDC (auto)? You may find you have to use both feet on hills, one on the brake and the other on the accelerator pedal.... or use the handbrake, releasing it gently. When I drive autos, I generally prefer to use the handbrake, one reason why I hate the new-fangled electronic handbrakes with a passion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the EDC auto yeah. The roll back is horrific tho. I really have to press on the accelerator to stop the car rolling back and this causes me to lurch forward uncontrollably. I don't like it at all.

It also means I can park facing up hills near other cars as I have no control to get the car out of the space.

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
I use the two-feet method for parking. Moving an auto just a few centimetres is often very difficult.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The Eco mode display is only available through the R-Link.

As for rolling back, I thought the EDC held the car like an old school torque converter auto?

·
Registered
921 Posts
my ECO when it is on shows up on the dashAnd there is an arrow that tells me to change gear be it up or down that is also on the dash

I don't know if that helps

·
Registered
924 Posts
Both auto and manual gear-boxed cars use hill-start assist. The way is works can be seen here.

http://www.capturownersclub.co.uk/forum/hill-start-assist_topic454.html?

In the early days of the Captur, experience of hill start assist was limited, so there was a lot of guesswork. But later posting sorted it out.

In summary hill start assist continues to apply the footbrake pressure for up to 2 seconds. This should give you time to move your right foot from brake to throttle and pull away. You should never use the auto gearbox aloneto balance the car on a hill you will quickly burn out the clutch. When in doubt use the footbrake, or better still the handbrake.

NOTE: if you use the handbrake, hill start assist isNOT available. So the choice is yours; footbrake gives you hill start assist, handbrake does not.

EDC gearboxes use two dry clutches to connectengine to gearbox. There is no torque converter. This makes the autobox on the Captur more efficient; hence Efficient Dual Clutch (EDC).

Link can be found here

http://www.capturownersclub.co.uk/forum/auto-edc_topic374.html

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
924 Posts
The "Driving Style" gizmo is only available on cars with R-link. If you have MediaNav you will not have it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
LisaH, I know it can be scary and panic makes it more so. In reality you may find that the roll back isprobablynomore than your previous car but you may not have got used to this one yet. It took me about three-four weeks to get into this car mode after my last one. In the end I took myself off to a lonely lane outside the town and drove around at various speeds, tried clutch, brake, hill assist, just to get the feel of it without worry of traffic around me. My last car was Juke - quite small in size and engine - but all my other cars before that were large engine 4x4s and that took some getting used to.

Give yourself time

·
Registered
924 Posts
LisaH, Vbl has some good advice. I did exactly as Vbl suggested, as can be seen by my narrative on the posting regarding the hill start assist. Eventually you will get comfy with it, and learn to exploit the refinementsof the Captur.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I find all these extra gizmo's such has "Hill Start Assist" or whatever it's called is just another thing that we managed fine withoutbefore and now it is something that seems to bea must; I have never had issues pulling away on hills without it and it is even easier with an auto as there is no third pedal to worry about, it is just another thing that takes away our control of teh car and dumbs the whole driving experience down making us lazy drivers, auto lights and wipers is another thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have hill start on my Mercedes motorhome, believe me it is an absolute godsend once you get used to it! Far from taking control away it provides more safety particularly when pulling out at junctions on hills.Edited by: RogerThat

·
Registered
924 Posts
HTP99 said:
... it is just another thing that takes away our control of teh car and dumbs the whole driving experience down making us lazy drivers, auto lights and wipers is another thing.
There is nothing stopping you driving under full control. You don't HAVE to use the gizmos. The auto box Even has Tiptronic style gear change, so you can feel just like an F1 driver, but without the neck-jarring acceleration.

·
Registered
741 Posts
crossbow said:
HTP99 said:
... it is just another thing that takes away our control of teh car and dumbs the whole driving experience down making us lazy drivers, auto lights and wipers is another thing.

There is nothing stopping you driving under full control. You don't HAVE to use the gizmos. The auto box Even has Tiptronic style gear change, so you can feel just like an F1 driver, but without the neck-jarring acceleration.

No there isn't anything stopping me taking full control however there the idiots out there who are bad enough drivers without these extra bits and bobs to take even moe of your mind off of driving; how many people do you see in thick fog with no headlights on, I bet the majority have auto lights and just either assume the lights are on or think they aren't on as the sensor doesn't think they should be on so therefore there is no need to overide the sensor and put them on yourself.

Hill Start Assist, why all of a sudden are people not able to pull away smoothly on a gradient; hill starts are taught as part of when you are learning, I don't struggle to do it and never have.

Drivers are becoming less and less connected to their cars and this is part of the reason that there is so much poor driving out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
But with hill start you can concentrate much more on the road and other users around you with less worry and needless thought about stalling or rolling back by accident.Edited by: RogerThat

·
Registered
924 Posts
HTP99,
Where do you draw the line at exposing motor car systems to the driver? How about supplying the advance/retard lever like they had on the Model T Ford?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks vbl. I guess I am just very nervous about damaging the car in any way!! It definitely has more roll back than my old Clio but as you say, I think I need to get used to it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone help on the Wiper issue? I haven't had a response from my other thread.

Yesterday while driving back on the motorway I needed to use my wipers for the first time. Nothing happened!!!!!!

I tried them on auto and got no response at all so instead set them to either 1 or 2 with the same result - no wipers!!

It was very disconcerting driving along the M25 in Surrey with no windscreen wipers in the rain and spray and even when i parked up at my house and tried all the settings the only way the wipers worked was with the the washer jet method.

I dont really want to have to do a 240 mile round trip tomorrow with just this way of using my wipers and i cant cancel the trip!

Help!

·
Registered
59 Posts
LisaH said:
Can anyone help on the Wiper issue? I haven't had a response from my other thread.

Yesterday while driving back on the motorway I needed to use my wipers for the first time. Nothing happened!!!!!!

I tried them on auto and got no response at all so instead set them to either 1 or 2 with the same result - no wipers!!

It was very disconcerting driving along the M25 in Surrey with no windscreen wipers in the rain and spray and even when i parked up at my house and tried all the settings the only way the wipers worked was with the the washer jet method.

I dont really want to have to do a 240 mile round trip tomorrow with just this way of using my wipers and i cant cancel the trip!

Help!

Lisa- hi, there is a thread somewhere on the forum about this, couple others have experienced same problem. Have a look, maybe an issue arising here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts