Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK it's all "Fly by Wire" on modern cars but why are these new systems so often not as efficient as a good old fashioned accelerator cable?

When I drive my wife's Captur TCe I've stopped using eco mode as it is far too sluggish but even in normal mode; which provides quite acceptable performance for the engine size; the first half inch of accelerator movement is just taking up slack until something happens.

OK I'm used to much better response driving a 160bhp MGTF on which I have set the accelerator cable to a "hair trigger" but the 3 litre 220bhp V6 Alfa Spider I owned in the past also had "fly by wire" & that did respond immediately with no pedal lag.

Surely the engine on the Captur should deliver what it has as soon as you press the accelerator? Yet again it's probably electronics thinking it knows better!!

IS THIS NORMAL or do we have a rectifiable fault?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Can see where you are coming from with your comments as I came from a 197 bhp car to the Captur..........strange you may say but its horses for courses........I didnt need 197bhp any more nor did I need the silly fuel costs either the Captur is not flawless it has its disappointments but as an overall package as a multi purpose car it does well...........I think the accelerator and bhp is set out for what it is a sensible economical vehicle......it doesnt need to be any quicker it isnt a fault its what it is!!
I can live without bhp.........now a missing glovebox light now theres an oversight!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A bit of turbo lag on a small engine...it's not set up for speed!...as you rightly say..
I'd be annoyed havimg a RHD version as the 'drawer' glovebox is really handy, and at night, the ivory panel on my car is lit.

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My comment re a "Fault" really relates to the distance the pedal has to be pushed before it does anything at all. Is this normal for a TCe90?

I fully accept the performance limitations of just 90bhp in a car this size.

As you say some fuel consumptions can become hard to justify. The Alfa; a 2 yr period of enjoyable hooliganism between MGs was doing about 20 mpg average so I went back to an MGTF which averages 35mpg.

The fact that so far the Captur has only managed 41mpg is, I hope, down to it still not having fully freed up having only done 1040 miles.

That said my wife; who owns the Captur; loves it because it's so: roomy; smooth; & refined; as well as the great Orange & Black paint job & the Orange Wheels!!!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I really thought I may have big problems when I first collected my Captur.....as said I came from a V6 197bhp automatic to a 3 pot 900cc teeny turbo.........I neednt have worried as the Captur has more than made its mark with me in some respects it actually feels quicker than my last car.......I got used to it no problem at all.I do know what you mean slight hesitation at times....I just work with it!

Apart from the orange wheels our Capturs could be twins!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have measured the accelerator dead point. Mine is about 0.25 inch. I assume this is to ensure that the throttle pedal can come cleanly off, and not give a false (or to high)tick-over. On my automatic not allowing the engine to lower to the fully idle point would be disastrous. Obviously I don't have clutch, which I would assume would have a dead spot too, so the clutch is not ridden. The brake pedal also has a dead point, but have not measured that. However, that is not too excessive, and also ensures that the brake is fully disengaged. Someone also noted on this forum that the handbrake has more than the expected number of clicks before it engages fully. I guess that Renault have beencautious with the dead point on the mechanical controls of the car. Glad the touch screen on the computer does not have a dead point. I can even use the touch screenwhilst wearingmy driving gloves.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Surely you read all the reviews and facts about the Captur! Most of us did and know what the car is about! if you wanted power you should have looked at the Clio and Megane Sport models!!!!!
Edited by: Tyrfelin

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having read the write ups & tests & being told that max torque is delivered from 2500rpm I knew exactly what to expect from a 3 cylinder 898cc 90bhp motor in a car that size & that is what we get once one overcomes the free play on the accelerator pedal. It's this free play/lag that I have a problem with & I've booked it into the dealer later this month for attention. I'll update you once it's done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As there were also other issues we ended up leaving the Captur with the dealer whilst we had a week in Tenerife.
1: They put it on the diagnostics & say that the approx 1/4 to 1/2 in of play on the accelerator is normal & can't be changed. OK we'll have to live with that.
2: Drive belt twitter from cold start: Belt replaced.
3: Blemish in paint on bonnet: Bonnet stripped & re-painted, nice job done. This was a blessing in disguise as the bonnet had, unluckily, picked up a couple of stone chips so remedying the paint problem has also done the chips.
Fingers crossed for a trouble free future!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts