Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Captur Signature S Nav 1.2 TCE

My car has covered 4,000 miles of mixed driving in town with occasional motorway trips. I wonder if it is a good idea to request oil and filter changes in the first annual service due next month rather than wait until the second service falls due next year.
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Renault do not recommend changing your oil at first service and will follow recommended service schedule to the letter.
However for peace of mind there is nothing stopping you from paying extra to get it done at your first service.
First service is a total rip off as only air filter gets changed but this might have changed?

I was amazed when dealership were not going to change my oil at first service but all manufacturers service options vary.

You can if you wish register online with Renault UK website under the option called Myrenault, just create an account register some details and there you go.
Your vehicle service schedules can be seen along with mileage etc.
Hope this helps
cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,968 Posts
Renault do not recommend changing your oil at first service and will follow recommended service schedule to the letter.
Not quite so much "do not recommend" as "don't consider it necessary".
But then they may be working on the basis that many cars in the UK are bought by companies who want minimal maintenance costs.

In the USA you may read that car service intervals may be as much as 100,000 miles apart - but they don't mention that frequent oil changes are conducted between these services, with some owners having oil changes as often as every 3,000 miles. Despite what many think and/or do, I personally do not think it is a good idea to leave oil in a car engine longer than 12 months, and I've had my Captur's oil changed annually.

Reactions: Johntouk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you IvorETower and Kootzee for your interesting comments.
The routine with previous cars was a service, oil change included, every 12,000 miles or 12 months - whichever came first. I seem to remember the first service with a new car in the 1960s became due when the mileage reached 1,000 - 3,000 miles. It was important and necessary, they said, to clear out all the grot and swarf etc swilling around in the oil during running in and left over after manufacture!.

·
Super Moderator
2,968 Posts
Indeed, Brinton..... in 1985 I bought a new Honda (aged 25 when the average age of a Honda buyer was in their 60's.....).
I queried the "usual" oil change after 1,000 or 1,500 miles but was told that it wasn't necessary until 6,000 miles (the normal oil change interval in the 1980's).

Needless to say I changed the oil and filter after about 1,500 miles... I kept the car for about 18 years and it had done over 120,000 miles when I traded it in; it still did not leak any oil or use any between services.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts