Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the amber spanner (take to garage) appear with the message "Check Airbag" and the airbag symbol - 3 times on Boxing Day, each time I got in the car and remained whilst driving. Typically, then took it to the garage yesterday and the message has disappeared
I have booked it in anyway and they will run diagnostics to see if there is an issue. Anyone else seen this ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
At last another sufferer!!I've have had this message randomly with my Megane CC (latest model) since mid 2012. Comes and goes, but never stays on when I go to the dealer.
I can go months without it coming on (currently airbag warning free since September) but then it can come on/off several times in the space of a few miles.
They have had it on the diagnostic computer several times but there is never any record in the system log. Apparently the message isn't confined to the actual airbag, but includes sensors in the seat and the seat-belt subsystem.
I shall be fascinated if you get an outcome from your dealer........
One suggestion was that it could be to do with one of the seats and the tensioning squib that tightens the belts if you have a crash! Needless to say, tinkering is not advised as, if the seatbelt tensioner is triggered, everything has to be replaced!

Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kit booth
I'll post what they say but from past experience on a Citroen, likely to not show when they run diagnostics.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Happened once for a short moment in my Clio when the seat was leaned back. I have found it was a problem with connector under my seat. Repaired and never appeared again.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Is this the light that's below the courtesy lights? I have an amber light that goes on when the car is started, and then goes off in less than a minute. Mine does this every time....I thought it was standard!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ythsie, yes the check procedure when the engine starts is standard (in Captur it includes the light above the mirror), however we are talking about a message or light appearing suddenly "in the middle of the road".

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is there anything stored/placed under seats? Had this with a 2008 Megane and it was a connector under the passenger seat that had come loose as a result of a bottle under the seat pushing on the connector for seat belt pre tensioners- removed bottle and jiggled connector and problem solved.... Worth a check of the electrical connectors below the seat...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As promised, been to the car doctor today and diagnostics showed nothing and no stored error. They said the only thing they could suggest was to bring it in again if the error reoccurs - As it was only there on Boxing Day and not seen again since, that's pretty doubtful ? It doesn't prevent driving, just annoying. My previous car (Citroen C4 Picasso) had loads of errors that intermittently came up and then disappeared but didn't show up on diagnostics. I guess we'll never know !

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi TyrfelinTo take car to dealer is generaly good option hovewer sometimes it does not solve certain problem. Here we try to exchange the information about the faults and quite often "magic" behaviour of our cars, and solutions of problems also when the dealer has no answer or his advise is very costly.
One small example - the rear lamp in renault cars quite often became crazy, blinking when you switch left or right direction indicator light or brake light. It happen more oftem with left rear lamp. In renault service the only advice is to buy new one. In fact it is well known problem in renault cars - and it is caused by poor ground wire connection. The simple solution is to clean connectors with any sharp tool (knive). I have found this advice in another renault forum and it works in my Megane perfectly. Last time it happened also with temperature sensore in my Clio. In renault service they offered me to change the sensor (very expensive) placed in the left mirror. It took me 5 minutes to clean the connector.
That is why we described such a cases in forum.

The problem with air bag warning messages or lights is in many cases a problem of poor connection in connectors under the seats. If it is only temporary warning no any record in computer. And dealer has no answer.
It is not always a solution, however to check the connectors under driver seat is sometimes not bad advice.
So I appreciate all user observations decribed in forum as they are sometimes/often much better advice then that one I can find in the dealer service.
Anyway to go to dealer for help is also an option of course.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Warrantee is part and parcel of your purchase, airing it here might help but remember you should be covered at
this stage

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You're actually right for a change! !! lol!!

You have this quaint way of pointing things out!! I LOVE IT!!...now Mi** might not appreciate 'our' comments to each other...and DAN will transport us into a drawer which is deeply hidden on the forun!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Tyrfelin, we need to continue in idle chit chat! !!

Edited by: Ythsie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts