Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just joined forum. Hoping to order Captur in the next couple of weeks. Test driven DCI 90 manual gearbox version, but think I would like the Auto EDC. Anybody driving that version yet? What do you think?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
We have the 120 auto version and it's great!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Wheels, welcome to forum. There are a few with the autos on here, read Ythsie posts will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have the 120 auto version. Such a smooth autobox. Smoothest I have ever driven. Works just like my Espace triptronic-style box. That is it has a clutchless manual setting. The box itself has six gears configured in two separate mechanisms. One, operting the even gears and the other opersting the odd number gears. It has two clutches and swaps between them, seamlessly.

The twin, dry clutch system makes it very efficient, no losses as it does not have a torque converter or oil pump, unlike BMW or Audi. So operates at a level of effeciency equivalent to a manual box. The clutch does mean that the autobox "creep" is a little more assertive than other autoboxes, but is easily controlled by the footbrake.

The triptronic-like gear lever can help with tricky situations that autoboxes can find difficult, ie going down long hills when engine braking is required. But slip into manual and drop a gear and you have all the engine braking you need.

If you like autoboxes, you'll love the edc.Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Wheels, like crossbow says it's really a great car...Don't expect the same economy as the 90....but it's certainly more refined and the gearchanges are brilliant!

It's also economical and tackles the roads well...relaxed motorway driving, a touch better acceleration...although it's no speedster..10 secs to 60...
Quiet and refined...and well worth the extra wait, although delivery may be quucker now!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You have it? I missed you getting it because you were on the sidelines waiting...so pleased you're enjoying it as we are!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also drive 120 EDC. It works fine; quite smooth and responsive.
In my previous posts you can find some details about fuel economy - town and road conditions. Also few observation on ECO mode.
Generally very comfotable, particularly in crowded streets with many lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for the prompt replies. Think its made my mind up. Report back when ordered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having taken in the favorable replies from various members. Last November ordered Dynamique s dci 90 EDC. In Ivory with Arizona roof and wheels. Had a phone call from dealer this morning to say it had just been delivered. Went straight over to have a look and loved it. Picking it up Saturday morning.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My car for the last 7 years has been a Nissan Primera 2.2 dci, and I loved it until we bought the Captur. For commuting I run a Smart and that got me into auto/manual boxes. Living in the SE in traffic jams/congestion the Smart is great; resting the left leg against slipping a clutch for hours on end is no comparison. Then having hired a few VW with the DSG - when it came to buying a replacement for the Primera it looked like being either a Merc for the Tritronic or a VW for the DSG, however my wife did not like the idea of driving a big car to work. We looked at a Hyundai I40, but the auto is the old fashioned type, then we saw the EDC and looked into the Captur.
The added control of having manual in the Smart was that when pulling away I would change up sooner than the auto, and tootling along at 45 - 50 it prefers to stay in 5th when in manual I can stick it in 6th; all these add for better economy.
We have had the Captur for coming up to 4 weeks and have been out each weekend for a joy ride - and I can assure you it is a joy ride. Although a long motorway drive has yet to come, we have had a few periods of lines of traffic and the ol' left leg shaking syndrome has gone forever. Driving is back to where it was in the 70s. In fact these modern boxes are so good I just do not see the point in a manually operated clutch - just what benefit does it bring with it? I certainly will not go back to one. We were in the States in May for two and a half weeks and drove a Chrysler Malibu with a manual/auto box and they to are embracing the new style gearbox, and they have been 99% auto since time began.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've got the 1.5 auto and it's amazing.
As for fuel economy, mines now running at 61.2mpg so it's definitely fuel efficient!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts