Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had a complete electronic melt down with my month old Captur. I could not start the engine and the hands-free card wouldn't open the boot and finally locked me out of the car completely. Fortunately a Renault garage in Honiton came to the rescue. My battery was completely dead! After a short run it charged up and the garage checked the electrical system - all OK. No trouble since BUT by checking through the forum I discovered something about the auto light function. If the switch is on auto and the lever is pressed to full beam when you exit the car the warning beep occurs (being a new car and not noticing the tiny tell-tale warning light on the dash) I ignored this and locked up as usual. In this situation the side lights, front and back STAY ON! As it was a bright sunny day I didn't notice that the lights were on. So if the switch is on auto check the lever is not on full beam. Otherwise very pleased with the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think IS NOT the auto light switch. In your case may be but generally isn't. I leave my car with the switches on "automatic" for both: light and wipers. I never had any problem with electric system.BUT. I once had the same issue with my old Skoda. And I figure it out myself. The turning signal switch was on (as I parked) and I didn't bother to put it on neutral. Surprise!!! My front and rear lights on the side that the switch was on were ON!!!! Even the lights switch was off. True, not at full power. On bright light was almost impossible to see if the lights were off or on. So, since then I NEVER leave the car with the direction switch on. And never had electrical problems since.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
geodor said:
I think IS NOT the auto light switch.
I once had the same issue with my old Skoda.
Most VW Group cars use the indicator to switch on the parking lights when the ignition is off - in the left position, they put the left-hand sidelights (front and rear) on, and ditto for right. My old Galaxy does this, but the "lights-on" warning buzzer sounds when you go to leave the car, to remind you that the parking light function has been selected

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just tried it and it is definitely the auto light switch as Brian said..! If left on full beam, the lights don't switch off..

·
Registered
924 Posts
The "auto on & full beam on" does seem to be an undocumented feature of the Captur. Handy if you wish to leave the car in an area that is not designated as "built up".
I know this is going to be a sore point, but I will ask it anyway. How long would the battery last on side lights only? if it is 3 or 4 hours then that would be great for visiting friends in the country for an evening. Can't think of any other use for this feature.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Brian said:
Recently I had a comple electronic melt down with my month old Captur. I could not start the engine and the hands-free card wouldn't open the boot and finally locked me out of the car completely. Fortunately a Renault garage in Honiton came to the rescue. My battery was completely dead! After a short run it charged up and the garage checked the electrical system - all OK. No trouble since BUT by checking through the forum I discovered something about the auto light function. If the switch is on auto and the lever is pressed to full beam when you exit the car the warning beep occurs (being a new car and not noticing the tiny tell-tale warning light on the dash) I ignored this and locked up as usual. In this situation the side lights, front and back STAY ON! As it was a bright sunny day I didn't notice that the lights were on. So if the switch is on auto check the lever is not on full beam. Otherwise very pleased with the car.

It very nearly caught me out Brian
It Beeper at me and couldn't understand why
I've never used the auto function on other cars but decided I would on my Captur
Phew it's the little things that nearly get you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts