Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to lockdown, I hadn't been using my 2014 Captur 90tce and had to repeatedly keep charging up the battery. Never had a problem when in regular use. A friend had a similar problem with her later model under the same circumstances. It came to light that her garage had check over her car and advised her to switch off all auto settings when not in use for long periods. I did the same and I've had no further problems. A good tip worth keeping in mind.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the interior light to off rather than door switch operation.
Thanks for your reply Switchback, that's interesting I'll do that. I'm rather surprised that this should be an issue, most micro-controlled systems that rely on battery-only power are designed to go into "sleep" mode thus drawing virtually no drain on the power supply. i.e. battery! As a retired electronics engineer, I am quite familiar with this mode of operation in micro control system design.

·
Registered
2020 E:TECH Hybrid
58 Posts
I think it's the combination of lots of things in "sleep mode" that cause the battery drain. Why things like the heater fan need that feature I don't know but that should be switched to "off" as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's the combination of lots of things in "sleep mode" that cause the battery drain. Why things like the heater fan need that feature I don't know but that should be switched to "off" as well.
Good point I'll remember the fan

·
Registered
349 Posts
Certain features eg alarm, immobiliser, proximity sensors stay live but residual current drain should still be counted in mA. Everything else, barring faults or closed door switches should close down after a few minutes from leaving the car. Not on your original car battery are you?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Certain features eg alarm, immobiliser, proximity sensors stay live but residual current drain should still be counted in mA. Everything else, barring faults or closed door switches should close down after a few minutes from leaving the car. Not on your original car battery are you?
Yes, it is the original battery and this will have some influence of course. In our friend's case however, their Captur is not that old.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's definitely time for a new battery in the 2014 car. At little more than a couple of refills it will be money well invested. In your friends case, lockdown will not have helped. And it will not be good if the battery is flat for a period of time. Even with the low residual currents mentioned, this will seriously affect a battery after only a few weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts