Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of the new Captur in August. It was a showroom edition of the new 2020 model so had been in the showroom for about 6 months. It's a 1300cc Automatic and very nice it is too.

Before handover battery was charged up. Soon after taking delivery I would get messages about Battery Optimisation so that when stopped at lights etc, the engine would keep running instead of going into Standby, and/or the Aircon would switch off.
Fair enough so far, and I have the impression that the Battery Optimisation message is meant to be for information only.

However, yesterday I had a wait in the car while my wife had a medical appointment. After a few minutes relaxing and listening to the radio, the mediaplayer closed to down " to save battery power". I also got a message during my wait asking me to start engine to the charge battery,

I am now left thinking that the battery maybe faulty. Surely I should have been able to play the radio etc without being required to run the engine? Apart from anything else we aren't supposed to idle engines are we?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I contacted Renault on the chat forum last might about it. Not particularly useful- the person I was dealing with said they will look into it and get back to me. Then, after the chat I got an email from them saying the car was on a list for recall. They didn't know why but said someone would contact me in the morning to get it booked in.
An hour ago, I hadn't heard anything more so I called my local dealer to discuss and got cut off!! Still no idea what the recall is about.
The reason I posted about the Battery Optimisation message was to get an idea whether this was "normal" from other new Captur drivers.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is a time limit on how long you can use the media with the engine off so it doesn't drain the battery.
As for the Battery Optimization I've noticed it pops up quite a lot with my Captur as well which causes the Stop Start to not cut in especially on short runs.
On my last Captur the Stop Start used to cut in more often.
Perhaps it's a trait of the car having a lot more electronics or as stated a Software issue of which this model has a few of and I have been informed there is a big Software fix coming which will need a Dealer visit.

·
Registered
2020 S Edition 130 TCe AU EDC in Desert Orange and Black
117 Posts
I also bought a capture that had previously sat as a showroom display for some time, but have not had a battery optimisation message. The media switches off after about 10 minutes if the engine is off as the battery reaches a safe minimum charge (and this is similar to my experience with other cars as well). Sounds to me like you might have an issue with your battery though if stop/start and aircon are going off while driving as this indicates a generally low charge level in the battery. I would take it back to the dealer to check.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think there are too many messages out there. For years it has been the norm for media systems to turn themselves off after a few minutes without the engine running. It seems they take so much more power than before (or, more likely, modern cars don't like the voltage drops that older systems could tolerate). Your battery management system (BMS) expects the battery to be compensated immediately for any drainage. If it cannot be (such as when engine is not running) it will turn off whatever is using it. Yes your battery could be at fault but I personally think the messages are just too much unnecessary information, which leads to confusion more than solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Two Dogs
I think that you're right that there are too many messages. I've not really been concerned about this issue until I sat in the car yesterday and only got 5-10 minutes before the radio went off. I went to my dealer today and spoke to them about all this issue and about the recall. They are booking me in to deal with the recall and will check out the battery at the same time. And the first date they could give me was 28th of DECEMBER!!!!
Apparently the recall is to do with an engine harness issue ????
Oh...and we also reported to them the incorrect collision alarms we've started to get.
Watch this space......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just bought a 20reg captur today and for a little ride. I am also getting these messages on the shorter journeys and at lower revs I didn't notice it on the motorway. Also I am Assuming I should have had locking wheel nuts bits and bobs with the car. I did with the last renault I had (a clio). Just want to make sure I don't need to go back to them if the battery is faulty or I'm missing something

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not sure about locking wheel nuts but they are not standard fitment where I live (that probably doesn't help much). There is an awful lot of discussion on this forum though about batteries and I am coming to the conclusion that lockdown, cold weather, EFB/AGM batteries and lower car usage are contributing to these problems.

I have been doing some research on this and one problem with EFB/AGM batteries (Captur uses EFB) is getting them up to full charge again once they have dropped below about 80%. At this level they need fast high-current charging back to over 80% when a constant charging voltage upwards of 14.5V is then applied to raise the charge level to 100%. This could require a couple of hours and this is what a smart battery charger will achieve. Eventually with the battery at 100% a lower voltage (13.5V – 13.8V) is applied to maintain the charge level.

While this is achievable on the workbench with a smart charger it is difficult to obtain on the road, especially on short journeys or when the Battery Management System (BMS) is also trying to manage fuel consumption and emissions at the same time. Measuring battery voltage at rest is never an indicator of the state of charge. A well-conditioned 12V battery might still show 12v at only 30% of full charge. Between 70% and 100% charge it may show very little increase in measured voltage. The only accurate way to measure SOC is with a hydrometer (remember those?), not practicable with modern batteries. I believe that the above constraints mean that we are not able to keep our batteries at 100% charge. As a result the BMS is showing us fault messages while at the same time trying to compensate by load shedding (turning some systems off).

·
Registered
2020 Captur TCE 130 S-Series
2 Posts
i had the same issues with the battery on my new captur . it had been sat on the dealership courtyard for 6 months and whilst they promised me they would 'normally' charge the battery before the customer took delivery, it was clear they hadnt as the car was giving me the same messages about 'battery optimisation' etc., sound sound system was not upto spec and warning of closing things down to save battery,
i bought a smart charger and left it charging overnight and the problems went away. poor show from the dealership allowing a new customer, in a new car, to drive off the forecourt with what was virtually a dead battery ;-( not a wasted investment in a smart battery charger as you are supposed to maintain the battery with one periodically anyway

·
Registered
732 Posts
My point exactly. It takes a dedicated charger 12 hours or more to 100% charge a car under optimum charging conditions at room temperature with no load. A BMS will struggle to do this, even if you could drive for 12 hours since, not only environment and load are against you, but the bms is trying to optimise emissions and economy as well. I am convinced, with the best efforts available, that most of us are living with batteries at 75% charge at best. Hence all the issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts