Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else had problems with the boot not opening?
I loaded up the car to go on a trip, closed the boot, came back half an hour later to put more stuff in and couldn't get the boot door to open. It's the keyless entry system and the doors opened fine, just the boot door was stuck / jammed in the lock position.
I was about to drive down to renault when I decided to start the engine first and see if it 'reset' the lock mechanism on the boot, which it did, and the boot then opened. However, the same thing happened a couple of days later (again when the boot was loaded up). There wasn't anything obstructing the boot locking area, so I am none the wiser to what has caused the problem. I feel that I will need to go to the dealer at some point to resolve the issue but was wondering if anybody else has experienced a similar problem?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nothing like that sotty..all working as normal and long may it continue.
meterman_56

·
Registered
428 Posts
Only had trouble when something was obstructing the locking mechanism.
Seems to me that the loaded boot, (possibly overloaded boot) may have obstructed the lock workings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes good sense.
It could be possible that it was due to the boot being overloaded. We had 2 large suitcases in the boot and both were very full. I think that they might have interfered with the infrared for the keyless entry. There was nothing touching the lock mechanism but I presume that the signal zone was too blocked for the lock to work properly. Thanks for the help, you have probably saved me from a very red face at the dealership when I would no doubt be told that it was due to an overloaded boot and not an actual fault.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's happened again only this time the boot has been stuck shut for 3 days

The boot is empty this time, so it isn't due to it being overloaded.
I have it booked in to be looked at later in the week.

·
Super Moderator
2,757 Posts
Are you sure that it isn't an anti-theft measure? The tailgate on my Galaxy locks when any of the doors are opened then closed (ie people get into the car), and you have to open a front door before the tailgate is unlocked and available for opening

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it is definitely jammed in the locked position. It has been fine up until now (except for the temporary blip a few weeks ago).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has been into the dealership and they have "resolved" the problem. Apparently renault know about this fault but don't have a permanent solution. I think the problem only exists on the keyless entry models and is due to low voltage in the tailgate locking mechanism. The dealership have recharged it and put in a new battery but said the problem could recur and they will have to recharge and provide new battery again.
Renault are working on a permanent solution and letters will be issued when a permanent fix becomes available (or so I am told).

·
Registered
824 Posts
Glad they have sorted it out for you..........sorry to hear the now standard answer again to any problem.........."Renault know the fault and dont have a permanent solution but are working on it"

·
Super Moderator
2,757 Posts
It's not just Renault... one thing I wish alll car manufacturers would do is get the car's designers to drive and use the propotypes on a daily basis, AND wash them by hand with a sponge a few times. They'd then find the awkward bits that catch you or your shopping bags when you load up, the places that dirt gets to but are hard to clean, the radio aerials that catch on garage doors etc etc - they they could re-design all these irritations out before proper production begins

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same problem with the tailgate has just happened to us - we've got a keyless entry dCi 90. We took it to the dealer this morning who replaced the tailgate switch, and the tailgate opened at lunchtime. By the evening it had failed again, then worked after the engine had been switched on. When we got home, with the engine still on, it failed to open again, then opened after the engine had been switched off. I tried it later and it still works, but we're not sure what to expect tomorrow.

I can see another trip to the dealers coming up, but I can at least print out this topic. It's nice to know we're not unique.
IMB.
PS Someone at our work did a search for the problem and pointed me in this direction. He implied, a little too gleefully I thought, that there were loads of reports of this problem, but it doesn't seem to be too common.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This problem has also happened to me. The boot wont open, when i press the button on the boot all doors will open but not the boot.Very strange must call my dealer on Monday.......
Anybody have any news regarding this strange issue ?

And somebody wrote he had to recharge the tailgate switch and replace the battery....??

Seems very strange please explain

Edited by: airborne

·
Registered
355 Posts
There is nothing worse than an intermittent fault. Almost a year for my car, but no problems except the door sill has taken a few bites out of my leg and collects grit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
renault samsung car service center in KOREA agree that boot not opening is responsible for battery. is it sure? well .

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had the same problem a couple of times, once when the boot was full and once when empty. Both times starting the engine sorted it.
However this week a plaintiff phone call from my wife that the boot wouldn't open again with the shopping, included her chocolate fix stuck inside!
We tried the starting engine trick but didn't work.
Took to dealers, different reason / excuse from that given above. Their line was, yes it was a known problem, the relevant plug is often not inserted properly into the electronics at assembly. Mechanic fiddled under dashboard, took plug out, re-inserted it and problem gone.
And don't worry about a woman being denied her chocolate, I'd let the back seat down and got the shopping out that way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No problems yet with our 2013 dci 90, but really disappointed that Renault never provided a way of operating the tailgate release from inside the car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
lucky you got the chocolate out before the trip to the dealer or god help them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've just had this fault happen to me now. It has had a couple of days where it wouldn't open and the engine on trick would fix it. However today it won't open at all even with the engine on trick. Phoned Renault and I'm booked in for next week. Haven't had the car a year yet
I can only now open the boot by pulling down a rear seat and manually flicking the locking mechanism switch to open the boot. Awkward lol. Also my other half has the new shape Clio so I'm gonna find it interesting if hers ever develops this fault being as the captur is based on the new Clio. Edited by: mole320

1 - 20 of 25 Posts