Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently when applying the foot brake I hear a "click" from somewhere underneath the car somewhere under the drivers seat. Is there a stoplight switch in this area?. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to look underneath the dci90

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
The stoplight switch will be located under the dash, on the pedal mechanism. Not sure if there is some form of electronics box under the seat from where a click may be emanating

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ivor. I will have to "Let it develop" as they say. It's not having any effect on the safety of the car and I can't get my indie garage involved at this time. I'm not driving at all at the moment because I'm under the government lock down for us over 70's.
It's ironic when the price of fuel and the Spring weather have made it so tempting to go for a drive.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Under the seat area but inside or outside the car? Does it happen when applying the brake to the car while stationary?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's sounds like it is underneath the car somewhere from under the car seat back to possibly the rear wheel area. There are no fluid leaks and car stops fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Could be a bush in the suspension, moving when braking. Could be a brake shoe or pad, re-seating when braking. Both of those would need the car to be moving at the time. Any of those would be coming from the four corners though, not from under the seat.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks two dogs. I can't see it being a suspension bush at 24,000 miles so when I can do something about it I'll check the back brakes first

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:: I managed to get a mobile mechanic to check out the car due to the possible safety issues of the noise when applying the brakes when the car is moving. He removed the back wheels and brake drums first. Found nothing wrong. Then he checked all the back suspension. Same, nothing wrong so he asked me could he drive the car. I felt a bit uneasy due to the virus but he said it was the only way to find the fault because it doesn't make the noise when the car is stationary. He duly went on a test drive and came back ten minutes later with the problem solved. During driving he pulled the seat belt quickly and caused the belt to lock up. The noise disappeared. He told me there is some sort moving mechanism in the bottom of the seat belt assembly that moves when you apply the brakes. (I've driven the car since and the noise doesn't happen with the seat belt locked up)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't have thought of that in a month of Sundays. He didn't fix it because it would cost a mint, but it doesn't matter in the slightest now I know what it is. He's a clever young fella

1 - 10 of 10 Posts