Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one reset the Medianav system?
Mine is now bricked. It simply shows the start up screen, and does not move onto anything else. It stays in this state permanently. I mean permanently, longer than 10 minutes.

How did I get in this state? you may well ask.

I was performing a software update to 4.0.3. During this update process the auxiliary system shut down. It shut downafter five minutes, but before the software update had completed the update process. This had the effect of"bricking" my MediaNav.

I guess the clue is in the instructions, "don't pull out the memory stick, or shut off the engine until the update it complete". I don't usually run the engine, as I do the updates in the privacy of my own garage. So it would be madness to run the engine the in garage. I simply get into the car and press the power on button on the MediaNav system.

In an attempt to reset the tablet, I removed the fuse. This of course stopped the tablet from running. Good so far.

However, when replacing the fuse, and letting the tablet power up, it went to the welcome screen, as usual, but this stayed on permanently, as before. So I am assuming the Medianav is bricked, and needs to be reset, rebooted or rebuilt.

So my question is this.

Does anyone know how to do a power-on reset? I have tried various combinations of button pressing, and power down processes. Most computers, and computer driven boxes has some form of reset, but I can't find it on the MediaNav.

Any help would be appreciated. However, I can see myself going to the dealer, cap in hand, and asking them to rebuild it. Still I believe its Renault's fault, letting amateurs fiddle around with computer operating systems.

MORAL - If you do a map or software update, "start your engine" it may seem daft, but believe me it is far better than bricking your MediaNav system.

Can I borrow a car radio and satnav from someone?

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
39 Posts
Read the important note! Download the file to your usb.

https://renault.naviextras.com/shop/portal/deviceSelect

I don´t know if it will work but you can try.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow Donner,That was quick. Thanks for such a quick response. I have started the download. Will unzip it, and give it a go.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am afraid to say the "get out of jail" free card didn't work. I tried both files, as I am not sure which of the options is suitable to my Medianav. Having said that, I think the MediaNav system is SERIOUSLY bricked. I don't think it can read the USB port.

So I will call the dealer tomorrow, and book it in to see there resident Medianav guru. It will need a guru, a run of the mill grease-monkey will not do, despite thefact that the guys that work at my dealer are great. They take time to talk things over with you, and the warranty manager and I are on first name terms.

Actually, one of their apprentices will do the trick. Whenever I want help regarding my computer, I get my son to help. The younger generation can work wonders with computers.Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
428 Posts
Agree, anything technical, call the son. Not a good teacher ( he just does it without bothering to explain HOW ), but can work wonders on a computer. How do they know it all ?

·
Registered
921 Posts
crossbow

Go ok not the Tom Tom web page

There should be some help there for you

Don't forget it is a Tom Tom

Lyn x

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry the MediaNav is not a Tom Tom. NavTeq provide the map data, and the updating software toolboxis operated by NNG.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still working on a solution.
Talked with the dealer's chief technician. He said there is not external reset, and if I wanted to go down the dealership route, I would have to book the car in for the repair. He recommended going directly to Renault, as this is what he would have to do as he had not experience a "bricked" MediaNav system, he always found a way to get it going.

·
Registered
921 Posts
crossbow said:
Sorry the MediaNav is not a Tom Tom. NavTeq provide the map data, and the updating software toolboxis operated by NNG.

If you look it has built in Sat nav I and I checked with Tom Tom it is there

Check it out trust me

I'm not a Dr

Lyn

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LynG,Sorry to keep bouncing this about on the open forum, but can you PM me the link (or publish it here) I can only find tom tom's Carminat; Renault old built-in sat nav. The do however, support the Captur's R-Link system. So perhaps that is what you are looking at. I don't think this would be any good for MediaNav systems.

Renault's multimedia page says Captur LG-based screens use Navteq for the maps and NNG for the GPS software.

Of course I am keen to find a solution, so if your left-field option might work I am willing to give it a try. Especially as NNG have not yet replied.

I appreciate your help in this.

I have been looking at your other postings about postcodez and will follow the link from there.

************ Latest update using the Tom Tom web site. **************

I have looked the Tom Tom web site. It is specifically for Carminat and R-Link. There is no Medianav system there. Its the Medianav operating system I am after, not the maps.
Thanks for trying LynG. I do appreciate your help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Without any responsibility on my part, you can try to reinstall version 4.0.2 manually without using the Renault Toolbox software

1. Install official firmware

Install original 4.0.2 firmware through Renault/Dacia Toolbox or manually.
If you don't have access to the original firmware, you can use this download link: http://goo.gl/Jh1M08

a) Extract the contents of ""˜upgrade4.0.2original.rar' to a USB flash, formatted FAT32 and with at least 4GB space.

b) Insert the USB flash into MediaNAV

c) Press power button on MediaNAV and wait while loading is complete

d) You will see the firmware upgrade message.

e) Press ""˜Upgrade' button on screen

f) Wait until the update is complete.

WARNING: The update consists of 3 parts ""“ update 1, reboot, update 2. If after update 1 MediaNAV has not restarted automatically, press the power button.

g) Remove USB flash from MediaNAV

h) Delete ""˜upgrade.lgu' from USB flash drive
Else you will receive upgrade message all the time!

Good luck!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Niche,I downloaded and unzipped the file, put it in the root, and tried it. I do think that the tablet is well and truly bricked, it does not want to read the USB port. I really do need to find out how to perform a factory reset, like one does to phones (and other tablets).

Thanks for trying.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't dial it my blue-toothed hands free to my MediaNav is knackered.

Thanks everyone. That's it 'til after the weekend, I'm off.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I think we have all aged somewhat by the Medinav in one way o r another Age uk phone help line number to follow LoL l

Lyn

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LynG said:
I think we have all aged somewhat by the Medinav in one way o r another Age uk phone help line number to follow LoL l

Lyn

1 - 20 of 25 Posts