Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Sky(for now) for broadband and phone and we had noticed how slow things were when accessing t'internet. Doing a broadband speed check via my Sky account,broadband speed is always 40mbps,never varies. Doing checks elsewhere,Which etc,speed varies from a low of 12.6mbps to a high of 26.4mbps depending on time of day. Is it legal for Sky to claim false download speeds?
Another interesting thing with Sky. Did a broadband speed check the other day through my account and got a "looks like something is not right,follow these steps to correct it"message. Basically unplug everything and start again,I didn't touch anything but went through all their steps as if I had,clicking next after each one. At the end I got a "that's much better,your broadband is where it should be"message.
Fixed it through mind control.ha ha

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
Claimed Broadband speeds are notoriously "false" ! There is also normally a huge difference between actual upload and download speeds. Unplugging and re-connecting does reset the connection, whereupon you may find that the "system" checks and increases the speed according to what it is able to deliver at that time .. it's a well-known tip if you think that your speed has dropped - disconnect and re-connect. Such is progress.......

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ivor,could I just reset the router,paper clip in the little hole on the back. Would that have the same effect as unplugging everything?

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
I don't know for sure, but most likely yes. I had issues with my ISP last year and ended up doing that type of reset about 6 times over the course of one week-end. Eventually I convinced them that the router was faulty, no matter what their technical bods thought and they sent a new one.... needless to say, it resolved all the issues I was having instantly

·
Registered
33 Posts
Baldyman - don't reset the router via that little hole unless you know all your router settings. It's possible that you will reset the router back to basic settings and lose your connection to your ISP.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I got an Email from Virgin media a month ago telling me my broadband speed was being upgraded from 30mb/s to 100mb/s for no extra money. Did a ping test and (surprise surprise) it now gives me (wait for it) 26-34 mb/s.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Twodogs,did reset using the little button marked,unsurpringly,reset. Fortunately it seems,I saw it before I found the little hole. Grumpy,not at all surprised at you broadband speed being well below claimed(theoretical?) max speed. Wish ours was as "slow" as yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i also have use sky and in my experience the router isn't all that great, there are a lot of settings you can switch off to help speed it up though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts