Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,553 Posts
It was only a few years ago that they altered the tax system to encourage us to by diesels......

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evening Ivor

I know exactly what you mean, and even though I am a petrol Captur owner, I realise that the latest diesel engines are far less polluting than many older petrol variants, so it doesn't make a huge deal of sense. I appreciate at some point electric vehicles will be the norm, but that is some way off yet, and they (currently) aren't half as "green" as many people think. The mining of the rare earth metals for the batteries, the electricity production method etc

Dick, that wouldn't surprise me either! 🙈

·
Registered
22 Posts
Modern diesel and petrol engines are massively improved in how clean and efficient they are but the writing is now firmly on the wall for them and this news from Renault is just part of a trend that will grow and continue over the next few years. I suspect that by 2025 petrol and diesel only engines will have gone and new cars will be offered as electric or hybrid only, with hybrids phased out by the end of 2028. From the start of 2030 manufacturers will only be able to offer electric powered cars and will not want to be left holding any unsaleable stock. I agree that this will change rather than solve the environmental problems, and have no idea how, let alone if, the infrastructure to support this number of electric cars can be established in this timescale.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Diesel is considered to be the work of the Devil thanks to older vehicles allegedly killing billions of people worldwide through inhalation of particulates from the exhaust. Newer diesels have a particular filter in the exhaust. Petrol,on the other hand is the work of God(not sure which one,there seem to be so many fictitious deities around),strange then that a lot of new petrol cars now have a particulate filter. Have they been partly responsible for the mass execution of the said billions over the years? Makes no sense to me encouraging the use of less efficient/economical petrol engines,surely the more fuel burnt the more pollution produced?
How many people has tobacco products and alcohol killed over the same period? They going to ban them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are quite right - petrol and diesel engines typically produce similar levels of particulates, and since 2010 both engine types have had to have particulate filters so most cars now have little or no engine based particle emissions. There is still a significant level of measurable particulates by roads but these come from moving and wearing surfaces such as brake pads, clutches, tyres, road surface etc. Diesel, petrol and electric contribute equal amounts to this and, say it quietly, cycles also make a small but real contribution..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts