Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am attaching a reverse camera to a Kenwood Head Unit. I have read the various posts here on doing this and they all say to connect to a mauve wire with white stripe in the compartment to the left of the boot. None of them actually show the wire or confirm exactly which one it is. I am not the best with colours either so can someone possibly confirm the wire indicated in the pic below is the correct one before I T into it?

https://imgur.com/hdkqUxn

Also, unlike the standard media nav rear camera the connection to this cable actually comes from the head unit not the camera itself. Does anyone know where the Mauve/white wire would be closer to the head unit location rather than running a cable all the way back to the boot that is not required?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Looks like Mauve/Purple and white to me. Cut it put car in reverse if no reverse light its the right one. If light still on join it back and look further. Try the reverse gearbox switch. for a closer feed

Question ...Is there another Mauve/white wire ? if not what's the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Ill check the gear box, couldnt find a way to see past it's plastics to get a good look.

I just wanted to check that I had the correct wiring harness and my colour definition isn't the greatest (Diabetic, post surgery) so always like to double check that, especially with people who know what they are doing or have done it before.

If nothing else the pic can be a good reference for anyone else looking at this in the future hopefully!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thank you!

Ill check the gear box, couldnt find a way to see past it's plastics to get a good look.

I just wanted to check that I had the correct wiring harness and my colour definition isn't the greatest (Diabetic, post surgery) so always like to double check that, especially with people who know what they are doing or have done it before.

If nothing else the pic can be a good reference for anyone else looking at this in the future hopefully!
Hi the Mauve white (reverse power lead) powers the camera (on reverse)and doesn't need to go to the head unit only the signal wire RCA from camera needs to go to the head unit on your Kenwood. You need to feed the power and ground plus the RCA through the grommet on the tailgate. On my setup I cut the RCA cable to get through the flexible grommet and the reconnected the cut RCA one I passed through try not to puncture the flexible grommet. I used a small knitting needle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Stro

Possibly a different head unit? 8019DAB I have. The head unit has a specific (2m) cable that is labelled for reverse as in the first linked image below. Do I not need that for the camera if it is also kenwood?

The camera is the CMOS-320, I have attached it's wire diagram in the second image. I have already managed to run the cameras cable from the back to the front of the car waiting for the head unit to arrive. I found the mauve/white wire on the passenger side behind a plastic cover at the center console so was going to use that for the head unit unless I have read the details wrong?

https://imgur.com/EUHfCGS

https://imgur.com/dklLx3d

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, just fitted an after market set up on the wife's dci, it's one of these clip on rear view mirror types with a forward facing dash cam and mounted the rear cam on the base of the tailgate this records both front a back all the time your'e driving, it puts the reverse view/area grid lines on the mirror/screen when you select reverse, under normal running the rear camera is powered/signal via a small usb cable from the mirror, the camera end of this cable is a small 4 pin socket not much bigger in diameter than the actual wire so very easy the feed across the head lining and tailgate cable grommets the camera has 250 mm long cable with a matching mini plug, a second single core cable from the camera is the one connected to the reversing light power supply (as previously stated mauve/white) this powers the infra red led's and puts the rear view on the screen when reverse is selected, the mirror unit also house's an SD card on which the front and rear avi files are stored for viewing at a later date, this can be done either on the mirror/screen or remove the card and view on PC. It's a good bit of kit and not that expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts