Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a fault. It started 4 weeks ago. The display flashed Check Auto Gearbox the selector went through P N D & the drive disconnected as the revs shot up. I stopped the vehicle, re-started and continued on my journey. This happened again at random and I called the AA. He connected his computer, but could not find a fault. I had 3 weeks troublefree driving, drove 350 from Kent to Northumberland not problems. Then it began again. Happened on and off over next few days, called AA & they sent local reps out. No fault on the computer! Car relayed (4 different vehicle) back to Kent. Contacted Main Dealer and drove it 30 miles to Canterbury to have it plugged into their diagnostics. Just had a phone call to say that they are unable to trace any fault. First question is how come ‘faulty’ electronics can be incorporated in to a vehicle that develops a fault which cannot be detected! And secondly, I have to drive an unreliable vehicle risking my life if it should go wrong again, until it develops a fault which can be detected! Do I pay thousands to have the electronics changed or do I scrap the car as I cannot sell it and being 6 years old is not worth a lot, but taking this fault out of the equation it has been a brilliant car, the journey to Northumberland gave me 72mpg. Just don’t know where to go from here and wondered if anyone has had anything similar?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Question? When did you last change the EFB Battery/car battery.

I have also found that not all faults has registered in the ecu.

Shame it’s not still under warranty as I would have said have it towed using the Renault
breakdown service, it works a treat

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
I am still using the original battery, which has never let me down, but over the last 3 months I have been giving it a top up charge on a weekly basis!

·
Super Moderator
2,553 Posts
You shouldn't need to top the battery up weekly, it should easily last 3 weeks even if the car is not used, and a month or more should be possible. If you have to top it up, it points to a failing battery or an electrical problem that is draining the battery and which needs prompt investigation

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You shouldn't need to top the battery up weekly, it should easily last 3 weeks even if the car is not used, and a month or more should be possible. If you have to top it up, it points to a failing battery or an electrical problem that is draining the battery and which needs prompt investigation
New battery arriving this afternoon, so I hope this cure the problem. Funnily enough it has not happened since arriving home. The Renault Main Dealer put it on the computer and could not find any fault. As it was a random fault - I drove, the error message came up, I stopped and re-started it and it either went away or happened a few more times. When I drove it to the Main Dealer I turned the engine off at each set of lights and re-started and the fault did not materialise, so I am hoping that the new battery solves the problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Change the battery, it's probably down to a failing battery, read more on this in the forums post
I bought a new battery from Tayna fitted last Thursday, been driving all week no problems. Today we drove 120 miles to Bletchley Park and every thing was great, so I thought that was it. Then half way home on the M25 and it flashed ‘Check Autogearbox’, really scary as in middle lane (and no drive), just managed to pull over on to some hatching at a junction (the hard shoulder is now a lane))!
There must be a list of problems which cause this to display as an error. The vehicle has been on 2 Main Dealer diagnostics and no errors displayed.
If I knew what causes it I might stand a chance of tracing the cause.
Can you help?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It’s realty upsetting to find out about your motorway ordeal and that two main dealerships cannot find the problem.

One member recently reported an earthing problem caused problems with their captur, I will go through some of the forums postings to see if anything else comes to light.

Meanwhile take a look in the relay box for corrosion, that’s the black box on top of the
right inner wing

Others may hold the answer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It’s realty upsetting to find out about your motorway ordeal and that two main dealerships cannot find the problem.

One member recently reported an earthing problem caused problems with their captur, I will go through some of the forums postings to see if anything else comes to light.

Meanwhile take a look in the relay box for corrosion, that’s the black box on top of the
right inner wing

Others may hold the answer.
HI,just read an article in Novembers CAR MECHANICS magazine,P47,about misfiring grand espace,that was cured with cleaning all the battery connections & ADDING an extra earth lead to the block many pounds spent but cured for £12.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have now read all 22 pages on the forums EDC faults section and there's only two posts listing
failures both refer to earthing problems, there’s articles on the earlier boxes shuddering
but nothing else.

You may have to consult an auto electrician

·
Super Moderator
2,553 Posts
Have you had the charging circuit tested to ensure that the battery is being charged correctly? It's not a straightforward system but a "smart charging" system

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you had the charging circuit tested to ensure that the battery is being charged correctly? It's not a straightforward system but a "smart charging" system
Hi
Just before taking it to the last Main Dealer the AA checked the charging rate; I recall seeing 14.2 v at start dropping to 13.5 after a few minutes. He commented that it was charging as it should.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts