Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to make this post as a journal for my Big "O" experience. Who is Big "O" you may ask. Is my Captur manual gear box, diesel with all the options the Renault had to offer: heated seats, light and rain sensors, R-Link etc.
Big "O" is thenickname my wife and child found for our brand new Captur. After 3 days and 100 km in town, I cannot say anything but the best about this car. Driving Skoda was fine. Driving Captur feels like heaven! :)Of course, I went driving knowing the major issues raised on this forum and I think all was helpful (btw, a great place to be as a Captur owner).
So, as I was saying, I went driving and it was good. Start-Stop system works very well but I did encountered the dead engine issue I've found on this forum. Twice! But I managed to find an explanation so I will need help on confirming if I'm right or it was just acoincidence.
The Sart-Stop system stop the engine if you're not in a gear and your speedometer indicate 0 (zero) km/h. But the system is not that sensitive. I've stopped at the red light, the speedometer was 0 but my car was still moving very slowly. Before the car to full stop, the green light appeared and I've pressed the clutch but, instead the car to start (as usual), the engine went dead(the green A light on the dashboard went dead).
I will keep an eye on this.
The second thing that I've found not working was the contact sync between my Galaxy Note II and the Rlink. Problem solved as I described in this topic.
http://www.capturownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic1208_post13903.html#13903

The third thing was the noise coming from rear. I think the rear seatbelt are to blame. If they are not properly arranged they hit the plastic parts of the car on any bump.
Ok, the final thing (this one I've found disturbing) is the quality of the plastic quality. Don't get me wrong. I like the plastic quality and texture. But it gets dirty VERY QUICK!!! After three days, it looks like weeks driven on dusty roads! And trust me, I love this car and I'm taking very much care.
Even the rubber carpets are getting dusty so fast that I have to clean them each time I get off the car.
But...
I LOVE IT!

UPDATE (12-05-2014)
I have found some disturbing aspects of this car.
Today I was driving with my windowopened. I have reached my destination, I parked with the window open and cut off the engine. Then Irealizedthat my window was open and I tried to close it. Surprise! **** window did not close! I had to restart the engine, close the window and than power off again. I find this veryannoying. It really left me a bad taste. Is not the end of the world but... I will try and see if I lock the car if the windows will close themselves. But I have a serious doubt.I'll keep you updated.

Second thing: I was waiting for my son at the swimming lesson. I waited in the car so I can play a little more with the R-Link and listen some music. After 10 minutes (as it write in the manual), all the electronics in the car went dead. "No problem" I thought "I willswitchthem on again". It was a biggerchallengethan expected. Pressed the power on the R-link.... dead. Pressed the start/stop button on the car and the electronics came to life but the engine was preparing to start also. I have had a diesel car before and I know that if you leave the engine on the starting point without actually starting the engine you could damage the ignition system. So, to have another 10 minutes of music, I had to start the car, stop it, open the door, close it and then press the power on to the R-Link again. Now I'm thinking that simply opening the door was a much simple solution. But... I'll have to test this. I'll keep you updated on this one too.

Edited by: geodor

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have also experienced the "dead engine" at a traffic queue. Think that when the engine goes off and you suddenly engage the clutch, you can somehow manage to stall the engine.
Those rattling rear seat belts are annoying. If they start to rattle, I have to stop, get out and adjust them.
I like to have a little moan !!

Edited by: awq

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pulled into a carpark today and as I was listening to a football commentary so I just put it into neutral and engaged the handbrake to cut the engine which itt did..no surprises there. .. but after about 2 minutes the engine started..hadn't touch any controls??? " Very interesting Mr Bond" Will have to keep an eye on that. Yes the "Rear Rattle" is starting to grate a bit now.. Dont know if its the rear seat.... parcel shelf..or the seat belt buckles knocking on the plastic???
meterman_56

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meterman, engine starting on its own is natural. The electrics on the machine are draining power from your battery. So, if the computer see that the power on the battery is below a certain level, it will start the engine on its own to compensate the power drain and keep the energy power to a level.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes , same thing has happened to me but I believe that it is a normal part of the stop / start energy saving process. What worries me is what happens if you leave the car - will it still restart.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh, nearly forgot, I'm pretty sure that the rattle is not the shelf (I was blaming this originally), but is the rear seat belts. Just move the buckle away from the central plastic bit. It usua.lly does the job

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awq said:
Yes , same thing has happened to me but I believe that it is a normal part of the stop / start energy saving process. What worries me is what happens if you leave the car - will it still restart.

I don't know. In the book is not clear what will happen. This one in on my "testing" list :) If you find out first, feel free to share the result here.

·
Super Moderator
2,626 Posts
Yes, if you leave the car unlocked with the cardkey still inside, I believe that it will re-start. Another make of car with this feature has done this to a work colleage when he went back inside his house to collect some stuff he had left behind. If you have a young curious child in the car, be careful as they could take it for an unintended short drive !

·
Registered
741 Posts
IvorETower said:
Yes, if you leave the car unlocked with the cardkey still inside, I believe that it will re-start. Another make of car with this feature has done this to a work colleage when he went back inside his house to collect some stuff he had left behind. If you have a young curious child in the car, be careful as they could take it for an unintended short drive !

If the Captur has the same fail safe as a Scenic, which I'm sure it will do; if the engine has turned off as part of the Start/Stop feature then once the drivers door has been opened it will not restart, you have to press the start button to get the engine running again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cheers geodor...yes of course..your right..its only when I thought about I had a "Light bulb" moment..the card was in the ignition!!! Quite a few of our members seem to think the rear rattles are nothing more than the seat belt buckles knocking against tbe plastic..will have to plug them in in future..noise gone!!! Hopefully!!
meterman_56

·
Registered
741 Posts
Rear rattling will almost certainly be the seatbelt, oddly it only seems to happen on the passenger side and not all cars do it;the rattlingis bloody annoying.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a question I wanted to ask you guys since my first ride. The dealer (according to law), sold me a "first aid kit" consisting in two triangles, one fire extinguisher and a medical kit. But they are SO BIG! ****, they take almost half of my lower compartment in the trunk. And they are all placed in a huge black bag impossible to fitanywhere. In your country is the same? And what solution have you found?

·
Registered
428 Posts
If the Captur has the same fail safe as a Scenic, which I'm sure it will do; if the engine has turned off as part of the Start/Stop feature then once the drivers door has been opened it will not restart, you have to press the start button to get the engine running again.
[/QUOTE]

That is reassuring. Don't like getting out if the engine has cut out with the stop /start

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My first rain in with the Big "O". Darn wipers seem to have a mind of their own. I can't manage to find the right sensitivity for them. I i set the sensitivity too low, they will wipe the windscreen probably after I crush. If I set the next level, they wipe continuouslyas if I put them incontinuousmode, lower speed. The rear wiper have no control at all. I have to turn it offmanually or it will scratch the window. Hmm.... I will continue testing. Hope it rains enough to figure it out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
HTP99 said:
Rear rattling will almost certainly be the seatbelt, oddly it only seems to happen on the passenger side and not all cars do it;the rattlingis bloody annoying.
Your dead right, it's the rear passenger side. Really thought it was the shelf at first.
So annoying

·
Registered
119 Posts
My rattle is more of a squeak at the back. I'm thinking it might be the seat position and locking.
Any ideas? I did all my rear seat belts up so I don't think it's them.

It's either the seats or the parcel shelf. I can't find which it is and it's driving me mad lol

·
Registered
428 Posts
It may be that the rear seats are not locked in place properly. Try moving them forward and then back.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope. I've had the same problem on my skoda. The cover of the trunk was not fixed properly and moved with each bump and hit the plastic holes that hold it or the trunk door (I don't know the English word for it). Anyway, I've take it out and put it back carefully and the problem was fixed. I don't know if it helps but it worth a try... Then, thinking about Captur, the problem might be caused by the wooden (or plastic) floor (again, might not be fixed well)... Try eliminate one at the time and probably, with a little help, you will get to the bottom of this.

·
Super Moderator
2,626 Posts
Parcel shelf rattles etc: Some self-adhesive strips used for sealing gaps around domestic doors, windows etc should do the trick.

geodor said:
The dealer (according to law), sold me a "first aid kit" consisting in two triangles, one fire extinguisher and a medical kit. But they are SO BIG! ****, they take almost half of my lower compartment in the trunk. And they are all placed in a huge black bag impossible to fitanywhere. In your country is the same? And what solution have you found?
In the UK it's not law to have any of this. However you can buy slim, light warning triangles that fold up very small. Small medical kits (First Aid kits) can also be bought but again, it's not the law in the UK to carry one.
Sadly Renault UK apparently insist that all new Renaults are delivered with a warning triangle, fluorescent vest and floor mats. I already have all of these so it's wasted expense as far as I am concerned

Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE (16-05-2014)
200km. All in town. Never got out. Found that I don't know how to use my car.
I've tried to compete with myself in getting high score at driving eco. I have got full bar at chaning gears, full bar at anticipation and half bar at acceleration. I have tried all styles of driving: accelerating fast until the cruise speed, accelerating slow, constant acceleration but still half the bar. Overall score for this was 81. I'm so confused.

The gear shift indicator is quiteannoying. I can't figure it out. It shows me to change gears at different speeds each time. For example, sometimes it ask me to go in the 3rd gear at 30km/h but sometimes it let me go to 40-45km/h. I'm wondering if the computer thinks that if I accelerate harder I'm in hurry so, it tells me how to change gear to get the maximum power out of the car. Anyway, I ignore it and changed the gears by the sound of the engine. And it got me a full bar even if I didn't respect the signs :) But this is quite annoying not to know what the car wants from you. I will try to understand it better. We will go together to see a psychologist if necessary. Am I not a good driver or we don'tspeakthe same language?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts