Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Display showed Auto Gearbox Check.
While driving shifts from 2nd to 4th and then to 6th. Doesn't shift to 3rd and 5th.
I restarted car, error message disappeared and gear shifting was normal.

Drove car for a week without any problem. Then same error message and shifting problem reoccured.

Took to agent. During road test got additional error message of Check Anti Pollution Device and Gearbox Overheating.

Agent diagnosed transmission control unit as faulty and also suspects the actuator.

Said was not able to reset/reprogram the control unit

Many stored fault codes during diagnostic. But only one active fault code. Photos attached.

Also the battery is not the original. Was told need EFB battery.

Could the battery be the problem or do I need a new control unit.

I am assuming/hoping it is not a mechanical issue.

Would appreciate community feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
Captur 2017 1.5DCI EDC
872 Posts
First, yes. It needs an EFB or AGM battery. Battery condition, age and state of charge are first things to check. Is it an EDC box (sounds like it). If so why did the mechanic say he couldn't reprogram it? What were you doing when the overheating warning came up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, yes. It needs an EFB or AGM battery. Battery condition, age and state of charge are first things to check. Is it an EDC box (sounds like it). If so why did the mechanic say he couldn't reprogram it? What were you doing when the overheating warning came up?
The overheating message came up just as we were about to do a road test with the technician. But we did not go ahead and returned back to the workshop. Also forgot to mention that car always starts from 2nd gear.

I recently changed tyres from 205/55R17 to 225/50R17 as original size was not available. They are equal in circumference just bit wider. Could this put load on the transmission?

·
Registered
Captur 2017 1.5DCI EDC
872 Posts
Unlikely to be the tyres. Is it an EDC box? Does it start off in 2nd and change up to 4th and 6th automatically? That is almost impossible with an EDC. Or at least I have never heard of it, even with one clutch not working. It can't be a smooth change. What about reverse? R, 2, 4 and 6 are on the same shaft. 1,3 and 5 are on the other., As for the warning message I was getting gearbox overheating messages before I replaced my car battery. In my case it was with a cold box so I knew the message was false.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts