Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just purchased the showroom capture media nav s. Kinda bought it on a whim with very little investigating into options etc. Not picked it up yet though.
Beforei ask and maybe get laughed at by the dealer, does anyone know if you can order just an arm rest but not in apack option with tow barlike in the brochure?
And two, I didn't really realise that the media nav was much different to this R-link option, the dealer just said it was only useful if you want the tom tom navigation over the built in gps system by navtec. This I was fine with but now after reading into it more, it seems the media nav lacks Apps options or email streaming? is this correct? or can it do this also? not fused about the speakers option.
Also whats this I hear about usb being in different place on media nav, I.E on top of the dash rather than near the 12v? I have to say I didn't give it a decent play with in the showroom so the image in my memory has surpassed me.
Is media nav upgradeble to r-link after purchase of a car? Or is it factory option.
Renault website doesn't go into much detail about the exact possibilities of both units.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi,

I'm not 100% sure as I don't have my car yet...but the two systems are quite different as far as I know..different wiring looms etc..

The R -link is worth getting..and is different from the media nav.

I also thought the R-link was factory fitted.

The points you make about the apps and messaging, as well as the location of the USB is right. They are different.

I am pretty sure you can buy the arm rest separately in the UK although it's expensive...and other members mentioned that they paid different amounts for it.

I'm in Poland and bought it by itself, not as part of a pack, but negotiated a 10% discount on the brochure price here.

Hope I've been of help...someone else will give you more information I'm sure...but it's a start..

If your car is on order..get the R-link...you'll not regret it!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm pretty sure I read in a post somewhere that the r-link can be retro fitted at the dealership. So should be able to upgrade no problem. With the medianav its really only the sat nav and audio playback. R link has a lot more features; renault app store, voice recognition, its Sim card based too so traffic data etc is more accurate and up to date, basically connected to the Internet constantly. And yep on the medianav the USB juts out of the fascia. With the r link its situated lower in the storage space in front of the gearstick. The armrest is a £250 extra I think on its own, Hope that helpsEdited by: Cj86

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Slinkyj,
From the brochure :-
Renault R-Link Multimedia system including 7" touch screen, TomTom® Live Satellite navigation system (includes 3 months Live services subscription), Application Store, Eco Driving Menu and 4 x 35W Arkamys radio with 3D sound, Bluetooth®, USB and Handsfree technology, 2 tweeters and fingertip remote controls.
I to added the armrest only, can't remember how much it cost but sure it could be added post production.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the main differences is:
- R-Link are using Android based system vs MediaNav Windows CE 6 with MIPS processor
- R-Link has built-in Internet access (with embedded SIM card and 3G/Edge provider contract) - for accessing TomTom online services and - probably - for e-mail, etc access. but internet access can be limited by operator
- R-Link has capative screen vs MediaNav simple touch screen
- R-Link will have access to renault app store

MediaNav probably has no possibility to connect to rear parking camera. This is not 100% sure.

Russian hackers already testing custom build for MediaNav system with alternative navigation (7ways with OSM maps) and with embeded video player. R-link customizing options and posibility to install third party software like a Waze are unknown for this moment

Edited by: Telmah

·
Registered
87 Posts
On e-bay original armrest cost 186 USD from Germany :)
It's about 200 EUR from my dealer
It takes 15 minutes to setup it on place
but it's look ugly...

Probably good alternative are something like this:

for 116 USD - but not sure how it looks like in interior

Edited by: Telmah

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It's certainly not a particularly good looking thing...but comfortable...Glad I didn't pay as much over here in Poland...
Still overpriced for what it is!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tbh I think it should be a free option on the car. Can't believe I paid for an armrest on a new car what's next optional passenger seat? (Mhhhh wife sat in the back on long journeys
)

·
Registered
588 Posts
paid £200 for the armrest fitted.as for the R-link i went just with the medianav.good to know you can upgrade in future though
thing that put me off it was the subsription fee's, was never mentioned how much a year it is

·
Registered
924 Posts
I asked about the R-link retro-fit, as I came across a Renault web site stating it was possible. However, the dealer has told me emphatically a reto-fit is NOT possible. The dealer stated there is differences in the facia, and the wiring loom.
Like you, the extra money for the initial R-Link option, AND the subscriptions was enough to put me off. Besides there is already more than enough distraction inside a car, that would inhibit safe driving, so I stuck to the medianav system. Having said that, the idea of a really good nav system sounds attractive. But as yet I do not know how the Media-Nav one will perform.

Please see another thread where I raised this issue.

Sorry to be a downer.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Crossbow, you're going to live to regret it!! A music fan? It's worth getting it for the four speakers and sound quality.... honestly!
I bought it as I wanted the reversing camera for my lady, as it has blind spots at the back....
I don't know how much the subscription will cost after the promotional time, but it can't be too bad....even if it worked out say, 20 quid a month....
We had a special deal on here in Poland that you get the R-link and they give you the equivalent discount, so I took the option...My friend has a Clio and he says it's MAGIC!
The test car had it and I WAS impressed.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Ythsie,I do know what you mean -
. I like Classical music, mainly. I have some decent Tanoy speakers at home. But I only do around 8000 miles a year in my car, so I am HOPING I won't miss the higher quality system that comes with R-link.

I bought some budget speakers for my computer, and boy are they AWFUL.

So the premise for sound systems is certainly, buy the best you can afford.

I think the same goes for sat navs, but I am ducking that one, as I could not change the order once it was registered with the factory.

Also when I sell the car in 4 years time Tablets in cars will be the norm, and anything else will seem like buying a car with an 8-track. If you can remember them
or your Granddad told you about them.

PS. I am a Granddad.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm there or there abouts as well.... no grandchildren yet....so the title does not apply!

Yes, I thought that might be the problem, should you have changed your mind!

My partner does a small mileage as well...to and from school.... but the point of getting this car is to get out and about in Europe...... so many places to visit before the Euro arrives in the Eastern European block..

Already there, in a few....puts prices up drastically!!

Croatia, Montenegro, Albania...all within hopping distance. I will send you a private message that will amaze you I think!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
The subscriptions optional after the free trial, you can still flash update the tom tom etc.You just wont get the live streamed traffic reports etc. And I think the yearly subscriptions much more reasonable, about £50 a year. To be fair I doubt ill need the live updates as I dont travel far, I mainly upgraded to r link for the sound system and the extra toys. Massive gadget nerd!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts