Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello not sure if I have the right place to send this but since we got our captur from our local dealer we (the wife and myself) have noticed at dusk when the main lights go on that the low beam is not bright and yellow compare to my last car that had halogen bulbs, is this normal as we don't think the lights are bright enough as we're I live is in the country and there's no street lights just pure darkness and we struggle to drive with the low light we are getting from the low beam and distance.Thank you if you have any ideas I will be glad to hear from you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Could be faulty bulbs, have you adjusted the headlight level? As you might be driving with fully dipped beams and with the car being tall its obscuring the view. The switch for the headlight level is on the right next to the on off switch for the stop start function.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Lights should be bright...they are on mine...projector beams..they give plenty of light..Check the beam adjustment..and if not, it's a trip to the dealer! I hope it's not Arnold!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Agree - check level. Also if you have fog lights fitted they add extra light and some of the Captur models use these automatically in cornering and indicator turning too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just noticed one fog light not working on 2 month captur when got to local garage of course mechanics don't work on a Saturday, we would have to pay for the bulb, complained about not seeing the road in dip headlights... oh make an appointment Monday... went to local Halfords to see about replacement bulb.. couldn't find the right bulb, staff attendant helped me and said he knew about bulbs and we went outside to see the light not working... heres the sticky point , turned the lights on the other fog light not working he looked in the light and said that they were not xenon or halogens that were fitted but standard bulbs.....

Is this the reason I cant see ahead of me when driving at night with just the dip on, me or the wife are not amused at the Renault salesman as he all along even today said they are xenon lights, H1 Dip headlights bulbs are Halogen and H11LL fog are Halogen not xenon,

last but not least why have both fogs not working within 2 months of buying it, 2 theorys

1 fitted with cheap bulbs not even Halogen

2 fitted with in proper wattage bulbs that's just burnt out,

p.s I could be wrong on all this but the end of the day 2bulbs blown in 2 months..... :-(

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Mark, sorry to say that the fault is yours! The fogs work in the following way...when you turn right at a speed of up to 40kmph the right fog lights up to help you round the corner. The same is true if you turn left... the left one only comes on..
When you reverse in a straight line, they both come on to help aid you coming out of a garage for example.
NOTHING wrong with your lights!

Your lights on dipped beam may need adjustment, but I have to say that I find them perfectly adequate and they are bright.
You're not the first to be caught out by this, and the topic has been raised elsewhere on the forum!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have delved more into this and yes it is stupid me as both fog lights do work when you turn the steering wheel left or right, that's solved but still with the dipped headlights I am having trouble for the salesman to convince him that the lights are dangerous.
Also a new problem, have anyone else noticed loose chips and puddle water(stones lying in there sill of the car when opening the front doors) surely the doors should be sealed.
im coming to a conclusion I should have stuck with citreon

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
They need to check your headlamps then, as I run on very dark roads and they are perfectly adequate..
As for your stones on the sills, I also have never had that problem...although the black panels do get covered in muck easily. I'm having mud flaps fitted to prevent the splashing and muck..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Absolutely no problems with the headlights at all, although re stones in the doors I have noticed when cleaning that when I clean under the doors (when open) I do clean out 1 or 2 small stones ( although not water ) no idea how they get there

·
Registered
97 Posts
In my C headlights work OK.One mportant observation - it is very easy to change unwittinly the mode of lights if you push the stalk just to switch for main lights.
It was the same in my Clio. The ring on the stalk is rotating very easy. It maybe dangerous/or costly if you dont notice that the lights are off/in daytime mode.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think the side strips plus the wide foot rubbing panels keep the stones on there. But I don't think it's a real problem! Maybe adds extra weight to the car and you'll use 0.00001% more fuel! Ha!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don want to question if it is easy or not to use the lights. I tried to alert only that the ring rotates sometimes out off control unwittingly, so it is not bad to check if it is in the position you expect it should be.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ml03ban said:
just noticed one fog light not working on 2 month captur when got to local garage of course mechanics don't work on a Saturday, we would have to pay for the bulb, complained about not seeing the road in dip headlights... oh make an appointment Monday... went to local Halfords to see about replacement bulb.. couldn't find the right bulb, staff attendant helped me and said he knew about bulbs and we went outside to see the light not working... heres the sticky point , turned the lights on the other fog light not working he looked in the light and said that they were not xenon or halogens that were fitted but standard bulbs.....

Is this the reason I cant see ahead of me when driving at night with just the dip on, me or the wife are not amused at the Renault salesman as he all along even today said they are xenon lights, H1 Dip headlights bulbs are Halogen and H11LL fog are Halogen not xenon,

last but not least why have both fogs not working within 2 months of buying it, 2 theorys

1 fitted with cheap bulbs not even Halogen

2 fitted with in proper wattage bulbs that's just burnt out,

p.s I could be wrong on all this but the end of the day 2bulbs blown in 2 months..... :-(

Mine are fine - Xenon headlights are not fitted to the Captur in any form - they would be about a £500 extra and would need headlight washers etc. The lights on the Captur are halogen projector lights - mine seem fine. If you don't think they are bright enough - consider buying Osram Nightbreakers - they're very bright but avoid eBay ones - they often turn out to be copies...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I explored the rotating switch today! The switch has resisting click stops and shouldn't move position accidently. As I stated previously take it back to your dealer!Edited by: Tyrfelin

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well Tyrfelin, it is not my intention to open a discussion on rotating switch. It was only a warning signal - when you change the ligts to the main beam mode (you pull the stalk) sometimes it may happen that position of rotating switch is changed from "auto" to "0". That's all.Best regards.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm not being funny, just that I've not come across this problem in six different Renaults. Go to salesroom and compare them! That's all! And good luck and best wishes with it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts