Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all after some advice/opinions - let me explain.....

I recently purchased my first SUV, being a Vauxhall Mokka X 2019 model. I am really struggling to get used to the ride which I find very uncomfortable around town. It is really bumpy and gittery and even the smallest pothole or bump in the road sends a shudder through the cabin! I have had it inspected and suspension, tyre pressure etc is all fine (well tyre pressure was reduced but made little difference).

I have only had it 3 months but I am seriously thinking of cutting my losses and selling it and buy another SUV or reverting back to a decent sized hatchback.

What is the drive like on the Capture (looking at models 2017 upwards)? My concern is that this type of bumpy ride is a character of the SUV and I may just end up with the same issue. If it's not - and the Capture is worth considering any recommendations on models/trim? I mainly do urban town driving, no more than 5,000 miles per year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
To quote from the Top Gear review "There are many good small SUVs on the market. Sadly the Mokka is not one of them." so probably your experience is not unique, but also not reflective of all smaller SUVs. Most are based on a hatchback and generally drive and ride is similar between both models, although the SUV will be taller and heavier so will probably not be quite as agile. The Captur runs on the same underpinnings as the Clio and my Mk2 certainly gives a smooth and fluent drive.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
In 2019 they altered the mk1 captur with a new 1.3ltr engine, the newer 2020 mk2 is also fitted with this new engine.

I own the mk1 1.3ltr petrol version and I find the suspension is a little bit better than the older 1.5 diesel model I owned.

I would try to look at the 1.3 petrol model it’s a little better on petrol consumption.

·
Registered
745 Posts
"Mainly urban,town driving,no more than 5000 miles a year. Wouldn't you be better off with a comfy,nicely sprung hatchback,Fiesta or similar?

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
The only way for sure would be to test-drive a Captur on the very roads you drive on, which give you such an issue in the Mokka. My Captur has a much more stiff/bouncy ride than the Scenic that preceded it, but it is still far from being "rock-hard"

·
Registered
745 Posts
I went from a Fiesta to a Captur purely because I have severe spinal stenosis and the low seating position was causing a lot of pain. Much as I like my Captur,the Fiesta was a much more fun car to drive. More solidly built with better quality materials,handled much,much better,nearly as economical,cheaper to insure and service and my local Ford dealers were brilliant. If not for my back problems I would still have one,all round a better car.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
My wife drives our Captur most of the time whilst since Lockdown1, I've been driving my Fiesta most of the time (2016 1.0 ecoboost). For sure it's much more fun to drive than the Captur although the ride is worse on bad surfaces as it's fitted with the optional 17" wheels and very low profile tyres with almost no sidewalls (speed bumps in supermarket car parks are one of the things you really have to watch out for).... but it's a different type of car. It's much smaller and the boot is almost non-existent compare to the Captur
Blue collection.jpg

Reactions: Adie

·
Registered
745 Posts
As you say Ivor,different types of cars. I find my Captur extremely comfortable to drive and it does what it's supposed to very well,get me from A to B. The boot is vast with the false floor removed and the seats slid forward. It takes all our holiday luggage,when we are allowed to go. It just lacks that "fun" element that the Fiesta had. But then,as age and spinal problems dictate,I think I probably do also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like many others I have migrated to an SUV because I like the higher driving position while the more upright seating is a better fit to my six foot plus frame and, as I get older and stiffer, I find the easier entry/exit increasingly important. I find the Captur a great compromise. It is very comfortable, even on very long journeys, and it copes well with all I ask of it - it is a capable and refined motorway cruiser with tyre, engine and wind noise well suppressed, it drives as briskly as I want on our local rural roads, while it copes well with busy stop-start town traffic without any fuss or bother. It is not the smoothest and most driveable car I have owned (that, oddly, was a FIAT Multipla) partly as mine came with optional 18" wheels that don't help the ride, but it is far from bad. I have driven several SUVs that have really wallowed around (Nissan X-Trail and Mitsibushi Eclipse come to mind) while a FIAT 500X returns you to the days of shake, rattle and roll - but it is a baby jeep in drag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all after some advice/opinions - let me explain.....

I recently purchased my first SUV, being a Vauxhall Mokka X 2019 model. I am really struggling to get used to the ride which I find very uncomfortable around town. It is really bumpy and gittery and even the smallest pothole or bump in the road sends a shudder through the cabin! I have had it inspected and suspension, tyre pressure etc is all fine (well tyre pressure was reduced but made little difference).

I have only had it 3 months but I am seriously thinking of cutting my losses and selling it and buy another SUV or reverting back to a decent sized hatchback.

What is the drive like on the Capture (looking at models 2017 upwards)? My concern is that this type of bumpy ride is a character of the SUV and I may just end up with the same issue. If it's not - and the Capture is worth considering any recommendations on models/trim? I mainly do urban town driving, no more than 5,000 miles per year.
Hi, l have a Dynamic S 110bhp much better than the 90! Great spec confortable and some late model low mileage bargains out there

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I swopped my Captur for a C max which is a far better ride than the Captur. Its as high as the Captur and really easier to access . In all a much better car all round.

·
Registered
2020 E:TECH Hybrid
64 Posts
Remember that the latest Capturs are a completely different car so it's worth trying both the old and new versions. My new one has the most comfortable ride of any car I've had for years..............I declined the upgrade to bigger wheels which probably helps with the comfort.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The mk2 is an entirely new design, with a new longer suspension introduced for the new Clio and that will underpin a whole range of new Renault and Nissan models. I have a new one and am entirely happy with it, have never driven a mk1 but all the reviews I have read indicate that the ride and drive is better on the new version.

As you say the C-Max had a very good reputation for ride, but it is a larger car - based on the Focus and perhaps therefore not a like for like comparison. I chose my Captur to downsize and remain happy with my choice.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The mk2 is an entirely new design, with a new longer suspension introduced for the new Clio and that will underpin a whole range of new Renault and Nissan models. I have a new one and am entirely happy with it, have never driven a mk1 but all the reviews I have read indicate that the ride and drive is better on the new version.

As you say the C-Max had a very good reputation for ride, but it is a larger car - based on the Focus and perhaps therefore not a like for like comparison. I chose my Captur to downsize an
Just hope you have all the luck with your newer version Oldboy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts