Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters new Captur has started up itself twice that we know of.My husband was driving the car,he parked it outside our house and half an hour later our son came in and said the car engine was running.My husband went out and indeed it was running even though he had switched it off when he had come in.Daughters boyfriend told us he was sitting in the car a couple of weeks earlier when the car started itself.This seems dangerous to us and wondered if this has happened to anyone else.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Training ours to do the gardening!
Seriously haven't heard about this anywhere else. Maybe try locking on key button - see if that helpsEdited by: Tyrfelin

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did he switch it off by the button and having left in a gear other than neutral?
ie. if it was switched off by the start and stop system it may be the case that is it actived by itself after a while!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Very strange....
But if you are in stop start mode and just park the car without hitting the on/off button the chances are it will start up again after a few minutes as the radio or fan may be still on so it's draining the battery.
The only way I can see it starting on its own on the drive is if the card key is left inside, other than these scenario's it must be a fault somewhere?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boyfriend was sitting in car,didnt touch anything and car just started.Husband was in house with the key card when car started itself.No radio or fan on and car in neutral.they think it might have something to do with the eco and will switch that off to see if that helps.Just trying to see if anyone had same problem and if they knew how to fix.worried in case car takes off itself or if car is sitting idling then could get a fine from police.

·
Registered
824 Posts
It must have been left with the Stop/Start in operationinstead of the Start button OFF press to completely turn the car off............if the stop start is activated when car is parked it could well start up again.......I also think it will only do this for so long.......it wont keep running and running...it will turn off at some stage.
Should be investigated though as a precaution.....be interesting to hear the dealers explanation!!

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
spring64 said:
Boyfriend was sitting in car,didnt touch anything and car just started.Husband was in house with the key card when car started itself.
You need to lock the car when you get out (or make sure it self-locks when you get over a certain distance with the keycard); this is the stop-start system kicking in due to battery drain and it's not just Renaults that "suffer" from this. Guy at work has a Toyota that does the same thing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Husband did this.Twice yesterday while we were both in car we had stopped,once at lights and once to park and car cut off as its supposed to do but without touching anything it started by itself.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Stop start is automatic while you drive and works when the gears are in neutral but you have to shut the engine off with the central button as you would shut off any car when you end your journey (obviously there's no key to switch the car off) I think you need to visit a dealer to get this explained to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't know if you guys know this - and I actually did this.

Parked outside a relatives house, stop start kicked in, still the key in it's holder as soon as the drivers door opens the engine and everything turns off (safety mechanism I assume) - therefore, it's impossible to be in start/stop and for the driver to be outside of the car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
aseymour said:
Don't know if you guys know this - and I actually did this.

Parked outside a relatives house, stop start kicked in, still the key in it's holder as soon as the drivers door opens the engine and everything turns off (safety mechanism I assume) - therefore, it's impossible to be in start/stop and for the driver to be outside of the car.
Not if the card is in the drivers pocket.... I found this out tonight as Mrs F had the card in her pocket and she got out before I could hit the off button and although it said the card was not detected it wouldn't turn off until the card came back in range. Stop start was active as it cut out a few minutes before at traffic lights but the key was out of range before I went into neutral on the drive

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you're worried, leave the car in gear.
This should disable start/stop functions, and you press on the clutch starting the car anyway.
Edited by: Prof Pat Pending

1 - 20 of 22 Posts