1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been experimenting with this until 100% happy with the results of
our own tests. Not a big fan of tow bars, but needed to transport bikes
AND yet comply with that EU law about being able to see the complete
rear number plate and all rear lights. Already had this bike carrier, but to use this on the Captur, some extra engineering and mods
were required on both top mounts to share the load (see first pic). It's
finally done - at last! Takes a little patience to fit correctly prior
to a journey (approx 20mins) but it's as solid as a rock once done. With
the bikes in place, you can see perfectly behind, the rear windscreen
wiper works as normal and you get still get in most multi-storey car
parks. Take the bikes off and the hatchback works like normal, even with
the bike carrier still in place. Off out now on a trip!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Brilliant piece of innovation. Hope it all works well but have to say it looks really good. Let us know if it all went well on your trip.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Can't be that clever he's a cyclist, ask Clarkson

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back from the trip! It really was great fun with no problems at all - Thanks simpsob & LynG.

Sutty can't fault your approach
We can take 2 bikes, 5 passengers and a complete boot full of luggage, BUT unlike your system, we can't park and leave things unattended anywhere risky, as the bikes are in and out of the carrier in 30 seconds flat - Hi-speed!
It's fitting the carrier itself in advance of the bikes, which takes a little patience (and taking it off afterwards).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Camlan, how did you get the hooks over the top of the hatchback door? I bought a basic bike rack to put on my captur and find that the hooks don't fit - did you use "hatch huggers"?
I was considering buying the saris bones but am worried that the hooks also won't go over the top of the door.
Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Farslworth, the hooks on the original Saris Grand Fondo webbing straps had to be patiently adjusted in a metal vice so that they fitted the Captur roof spoiler edge. The additional webbing straps are without hooks and they share the load around the hatchback hinges (unseen in the pics, as the hatchback is shut and neatly hides them). Saris told us that the Grand Fondo wouldn't fit the Captur, because the load (just on the spoiler alone), would be too much with its standard design. We spent ages thinking it through and added the extra webbing straps - thus spreading the load three ways; the hinges are very strong, so it's fine. Happy to say it's been perfect since the off and we have done lots of miles with it since the first trip above. PM us your number if you want a chat or to ask any other techie questions on this setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have just brought a Saris Gran Fondo 2 bike carrier following a post by Camlan and with a few adjustments it works, we swapped lower and high hooks round and shaved a minuscule from the lower hook so it fitted in the rear hatch hinge (see photos). We have be out on a test run bikes on and off the rack, motorway speed humps cornering etc. all fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First; I don't really trust webbings to support a heavy thing like a bike carrier - I'd prefer either a Menabo with trays for the wheels or a similar Thule Ride On High, as they both have solid steel "things" for both upper and lower connection.
Now - I realize that our dear rear spoiler is a plastic thing and that Thule in their manuals puts that just about on top of their list of things not to do with their bike carriers: never fasten th3 carrier to a plastic spoiler...even makes sence, when U think about it....
But look at the pics posted lately: what do U belive is behind the black rubber plugs ?
Yep - the screws holding the rear spolier in place....
So- my theori is that You can loosen the rear spoiler just enough to slide the thin metal "hanger" under the spoiler and up to hook on to the metal edge of the tailgate, fasten the bike carrier right and then tighten the screws for the rear spoiler agian....
Then U are left with a perfect fastened bike carrier - with solid connection to the rear door frame.

Reason why I - well not dislike the pictured solution, but would prefer bikes beeing mounted sideways on the rear is that we tow a caravan, and I believe the pictured solutions just takes up too much space between car and caravan.
Sometimes - we actually have to turn with our caravan - and then space between vehichles does matter ;o)

Oh - and I am tempted to comment on the subject of Captur and caraven/trailer.....British laws are quite more restrictive than EU-laws !

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have seen a couple of Capturs with the same arrangement as yours being driven , so I was not able to see the exact fitting arrangement, but all is clear now thanks to your photos, many thanks.

I must get my finger out and buy the equipment and get it fitted !!

Thanks again from Neale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new here and new to Captur world as well. Got my one 3 weeks ago. I see there is not updates on this post for over 2 years, just wondering if there is any new Bike Rack that can be fit on the Captur without any issue?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts