Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately there's been a few occurances nearby of people with high ground clearance cars getting their catalytic converters stolen due to the metals inside. So being a bit concerned I checked out my captur and the smart little buggers at Renault have designed the exhaust system so its tucked into the chassis and where the cat is they've put a big metal manifold plate over the front end. So it'd take too much work and noise for a thief to remove quickly!Edited by: Cj86

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Fantastic discovery! I did wonder why the BBC made such a fuss on this latest crime- they were advertising it! Thanks for that news my friend!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Good news CJ !!........talking of cats....

Anyone remember when Catalytic Converters first came out and a lot of cars with them used to emit an eggy smell...........have they changed how they made them or work these days...not noticed it for ages!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your welcome mate, just thought I'd share it as its a great little idea to protect it. Especially as they can be costly to replace! I remember the eggy smell when I was younger in the car with my dad, I think it was cars with failing cats that gave off that smell.Edited by: Cj86

·
Registered
924 Posts
I drive for a community transport service. We have had the CATs stolen from both our minibuses on the same night. That left us without the ability to take those with mobility issues to their appointments. Theft is bad enough, but to thieve from an organisation that supports people in the community not as fortunate as the rest of us, is totally immoral as well as unlawful.

I am afraid that some vehicles are more vulnerable than others. For those who drive more vulnerable vehicles there are anti-theft CAT alarms. Our minibuses are fitted with them as well as taking other precautions.

Its good to know that the manufacturers are learning lessons, and protecting us and our precious vehicles from thieves.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, they're opportunistic scum who don't give a second thought to the repercussions of their actions. They also sell cat 'locks' that are 2 brackets with aircraft grade steel rope that attaches to the chassis and surrounds the converter so it cant be removed. At least if manufacturers are aware of the issue they can combat it in their designs before the cars come off the production line.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Am I the only person to have seen the post as car thefts? I know I will be the only one silly enough to of thought of the feline variety first before reading the post. Ah well old age.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to put at the start of the post that I wasnt talking about moggie theft!
Edited by: Cj86

·
Registered
588 Posts
thanks for that CJ. on a similar note anyone know what the petrol tank in the Captur is made of? only ask as another "new" crime is plastic tanks being drilled and the fuel pinched. i noticed with the new Mokka from Vauxhall when i was doing the rounds looking for a new car that it appears the fuel pipe from the tank on them is quite accessible to just pull off and drain the tank...black mark against it from my point of view. (not that i was seriously considering one after seeing the Captur)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts