Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Ordered a Captur 90tce dynamique over the weekend and went for a little road test so thought I'd share my thoughts. Currently own a 2007 Honda civic 1.8 and it was time to get rid before it fell to pieces. I have 2 children (2 & 6 years old) and wanted something with a bit more space and height without the hassle of a large engined/ high emission SUV (qashqai, sportage etc were too large and unsuitable for parking in the cramped spaces on the school run!) choice was pretty slim pickings, the juke, mokka and 2008 being the only other viable options at the moment. The interior and boot space of the juke was laughable, the 2008 a bit too dull and conservative (I'm only 27 myself) and the mokka hadn't even piqued my interest (really expensive in comparison too!)

So I'd heard a bit about the captur and it sounded like it might be a nice alternative. I'm glad to say it really was, size was perfect; much better looking than the competition, high commanding seat position, loads of headroom and legroom throughout (I'm 6'2 and even with my seat pushed way back there was space for another me behind) boot space equalled the tardis of a boot in the civic with the boot floor removed.Even exceeded the civic with the rear bench slid to its foremost position. Shut lines were tight and the paint finished to a really high standard. Even the body panels felt premium compared to the thin, tinny ones on my current car. Interior quality was of the same standard, soft touch plastics mainly as expected in a mid segment motor.Even so I'd say the overall appearance was more luxury than middle of the road. Would have liked a few more concealed storage areas though and it's a shame we don't get that huge drawer in the dash like the folks on the continent.Also when the rear bench is at its foremost there's a gap between the rear seats and the boot floor if it isn't removed. I'm sure Renault could have found a way around it,could cause problems in some situations with items falling through etc. Removing the false floor does solve the problem though. The lg screen in the centre console looks awesome though. But why no CD player?! I understand that mp3's have taken over but to remove the CD player is a bold statement. Not a massive problem however and all the extra gadgets more than make up for it. Cornering lights, led daytime running lights, auto lights and wipers, key card, climate control ,stop start, cruise control, hill start assist, sat nav, Bluetooth, apps and voice activation with r link. Basically a truck load of kit without breaking the bank balance.

The showroom model was cream with a black roof and black alloys, which looked stunning, but with that colour combo I'd have been stuck with the grey and chrome interior from the Manhattan pack, very clean and sophisticated but a tad drab in my opinion. So instead I opted for black with an orange roof, orange alloys and matching gloss accents. As I'm not a massive fan of too much chrome. French car companies seem to like blinging their new cars up like glitter balls.That colour combo may be a bit gawdy for some but from the picture I saw the orange accents definitely added something to the overall look of the car. Plus it meant I could add the orange interior pack that I'd seen from a customer ordered captur sitting outside. Which really livened up the interior without being overbearing.Zip off seat covers a great idea with 2 messy little'uns. But all this would be moot if it didn't drive well.....

So on to the road test, as me and my wife only make short trips mainly the diesel would have been pointless, we'd never cover enough miles to see a decent return on the extra £1400 it costs.Not a big fan of auto's either which left the 0.9 tce. After hearing about this tiny little 900cc 3 pot turbo unit I was skeptical that it would even get the seemingly large, heavy captur off the forecourt. I was informed that the captur weighs the same as the last generation Clio which surprised me.....

And surprise me it did, it was a great little motor. I like driving and this engine encourages just that. Happy at high revs and very smooth, not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination, but by concentrating on gear changes and keeping the revs within the powerband so the turbo didn't drop off, it made swift progress. However I would imagine the extra emphasis on keeping the right gear at the right time to maintain power could understandably be a bit draining to some people. Personally it put a smile on my face. On the plus side as there's not a boatload of power you could thrash it now and again and due to the power limitations, not feel too bad about it (and avoid run ins with the law for breaking speed limits!) Overtaking ability was limited once in higher gears but a quick change down would solve that. Gear changes were smooth and the clutch light. Refinement was impressive and there was little to no noise intrusion at speed.The engine seemed comfortable at motorway cruising speed without feeling too strangled. Due to the higher stance the car wallowed in turns slightly and the steering was a bit lighter than I'm used to. Overall it handled nicely for this type of car,don't expect any sporting credentials though! I think as long as you accept the car for what it is (and if you're after a car for similar reasons to mine) you won't be disappointed.

On first impression it suits my situation well, cheap to run, barely any tax to pay, packed full of gadgets, spacious, economical, rewarding little engine within its own right if its pushed a bit and good looking. 4 years free service and roadside assistance is a definite bonus. and when I eventually pick it up I'll have a better idea of the whole package and report back. Let's hope the car I drove wasn't a one off!!

0.9 tce Dynamique medianav
Black / Arizona roof & mirrors
Arizona interior pack with Arizona seat covers and steering wheel decal.
17' Arizona alloys
Arizona Gloss exterior pack
R-Link with Arkamys 3d sound
Parking sensors

Due end of October

Edited by: Cj86

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Hi and welcome along,Thanks for the nice and detailed write up - sounds like you are very pleased! Roll on October / November eh!

You'll have to keep us updated with how your order is progressing and then when it arrives we want to see lots of pictures

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries, yep I definitely am, only thing now is to see what it's like day to day!
ha tell me about it, its going to be a looong few months!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi just ordered 90tc dynamique medianav myself. Time for me to be a little more sensible as part exchanging my megane rs 250 for it. I am happy with the cars styling and spec at the price band it comes in at. Phoned my insurance company to see what my insurance would be and also confirmed I get 1 years gap insurance free. I'm looking at the 1st of October for delivery.
When looking at the 2 capturs at my local dealers I noticed one had a drivers armrest and one never. Was surprised that you have to order one as an accessory I use the armrest so had to have one.
Spec- r-link
Oyster grey with diamond black roof.
17 inch black explore alloys
Rear parking sensor.
Armrest.
Now the waiting game begins

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that's gonna be a bit of a change in driving style! I love the standard rs and that was my first choice, the 2nd hand ones were really reasonably priced, but with 2 kids plus the extra running costs it would have never been pushed much. The boy racer in me still wants one but I have to keep my sensible daddy head on! With the engine being a small turbo maybe a decent remap could put it into 'warm hatch' territory.
I've found 1 pic of the colour combo I've gone for

I didn't realise the arm rest was an option, I've got one in my current car and it's definitely more comfortable. Price is pretty steep though.
think I'll enquire about that. Is it part of an option pack??

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried adiesel Dynamique S MediaNav and the one thing I found awkward was the armrest, as it made finding the handbrake difficult. I've currently got a 9 year old Scenic, which the Captur will replace, and a 3 year old Megane CC, both with a centrearmrest, but with electric handbrakes. I actually had to lift the armrest to operate the handbrake - so I didn't option one!

·
Registered
335 Posts
That was my original choice for colours looks really good. But played safe and went for the same colour I've got. The armrest is not part of a pack just a
accessory.kitbooth you are correct it does get in the way a little and I would mainly drive with it raised.but on longer journeys I like an armrest it suites my lazy driving style.if you couldn't raise it I would def think twice about getting one.
Cj86 I'm pretty much same as you this car is purely bought for practical reasons, three grand kids and a 3 door just doesn't mix. Glad Renault have done such a good job with their styling with such a practical car and the reviews it is getting isn't to bad either.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would definitely make sense on longer journeys, I tend to slouch to the side when I drive too. Also a bit of a lazy driver! I'll see how it goes when the car arrives, could save up the pennies and buy it from the parts shop. Definitely a lovely little family car, some of the reviews bug me as they don't really take into account why people buy these type of cars. All these high performance motors they review have clouded their sense of reality!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I like the review auto express gives the car then again I'm probably bias due to getting one. I did look at the audi A1 sportback when I was undecided that car gets good reviews. But when I took into consideration looks, equipment as standard and price well IMHO there was only one winner.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The A1's a lovely looking little car, neighbour has a white one with a black roof. Especially love the fold up screen! Interior was a bit on the small side unfortunately. Haha of course we're biased! Roll on November!Edited by: Cj86

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I do like the A1 but it's very expensive for the size!

An arm rest is a must for me too, I really don't think I could live with a car without one now because I've become so accustomed to it. My current one even has a nice little imprint from my elbow!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. I've been comparing the petrol and diesel versions and doing a bit of research. Just as a heads up to new buyers, I was considering changing the engine in my order to the diesel due to the higher torque. But ive been told the Renault DCI engines have a DPF fitted, this filters the engines gases and burns the residue off safely, but only after about half hours driving once the engines up to temperature. So it's wise to consider how you're going to use the car. Short journeys and low annual mileages will mean the filters unable to reach the right temperature to work properly which can clog it up and result in some nasty repair fees to replace. You can solve the problem by blasting it down the motorway for about half hour to allow the residue to burn away but you'd have to do it about once a fortnight, which is going to put a dent in your mpg and up your fuel bill. A friend of mine had this problem with a Vauxhall diesel and ended up with a £1600 bill for a replacement dpf.Also the diesel takes longer to warm up and doesn't like stop start driving from cold very much , which also drastically lowers its economy. Renault technician gave me this info as a guideline.

10k + mileage for 3 years consisting of a majority half hour minimum journeys - diesel - according to the 'which' calculator you'll get your full diesel saving due to the higher mpg at this point.

Under 10k mileage over 3 years consisting of small town journeys - Petrol

Just something to consider

·
Registered
39 Posts
@CJ86.

Good review and echos my thoughts exactly.

Economical, Practical and Stylish.........Just like me

Have chosen the same colour combo and trim levels as you...Who want's a car that blends in eh?

RR

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha exactly!!

Had to go for the Arizona as its the only collection with a bright interior, really livens up the inside of the car. The Manhattan trims are smart but a bit dull but in my opinion. Did you go for the orange alloys as well??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts