Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my front pads for the first time, Have only done about 16k miles in 2 1/2 years, and to be fair the pads had probably had another 3 - 4k miles, but my local dealer offered Renault replacements with 50% discount for £22 so I grabbed them. ( We do a lot of stop / start driving ), plus they had started to squeak a little which was annoying the Wife.

So car jacked up and supported underneath
Wheels off
Then using a 13mm spanner undo one of the caliper locking bolts ( top or bottom - it doesn't matter ), remove bolt completely, then swing caliper up or down out the way depending which bolt you removed.
Old pads come away very easily using a screwdriver to dislodge from the spring that holds them in place
Using a G clamp- gently push caliper piston back to allow enough room to fit new pads.
Fit new pads, whilst applying a little copper grease to back plate of pads
Swing caliper back down ( or up )
Refit caliper bolt, tighten both
Press / pump brake pedal until firm
Refit wheel and tighten nuts to correct torque
Repeat the other side

Total time around half hour
Total cost £ 24 including grease.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Aha, just posted a question about the calipers, then noticed this.So it's just a normal push job for the pistons?
That's great, I half-expected them to need a bloody winding tool.
I'm getting EBC pads @ £22.46 a pair.
I also prefer proper brake caliper grease, rather than copper grease, as copper grease can damage seals.
I use Mintex Ceratec on the back and leading edges of the pads.

Edited by: bol d'or

·
Registered
134 Posts
its only wind back jobs on rears nowadays for the handbrake. sounds like an easy job, I did our fiat 500 pads just before we sold it for the captur and they were very easy indeed.
you missed off removing the brake fluid cap from the step by step.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I never remove the brake fluid cap, car or bike. If I know the brake fluid level was fine when the car/bike had new pads before, it's not going to overflow when I put new pads in now.
And any increase in pressure pushing the pistons back is negligible.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hello,I'm not sure I understand your reasoning about not removing the filler cap , because if you are replacing your brake pads then I assume it is because they are worn out.

Therefore you must have added some fluid , over time , as the level dropped in the master cylinder due to the caliper pistons moving to take up the wear of the pads. I always take the cap off and try to volunteer someone to keep an eye on the level as I move the pistons back and the fluid level rises, brake fluid is a good paint stripper !!

Take care from Neale.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
No, I've personally never had to top up fluid in any car or bike.
The fluid remains at an acceptable level whether the pads are new or worn.
You obviously feel the fluid has to remain at the 'full' level throughout the life of the pads, whereas I don't.
As long as it's within the correct levels, fine by me.Edited by: bol d'or

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I wonder if anyone can help with some tech info for my 2014 1.5 dci Captur. I have replaced front and rear brakes on my previous Renault Clio but without a Haynes for a CapturI'm missing some info to help me complete the job. The front brakes are pretty straight forward (minimum brakelining depth 10mm), but the rear are the same as the Clio with the brake drum being retained by the wheel bearing
nut, does anyone know the size of the nut (>32mm) and what is the
torque setting for refitting, also what is the minimum brake lining
depth on the rear shoes.<div ="msg">

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
116 Posts
Blimey! Do you drive with your foot on the brake? I just got my 5 year old Captur back from MOT (passed) but the comment was I should think about replacing the pads - car is coming up to 80K miles on original pads! Thanks anyway I always did my last 2 Nissan Primeras and it sounds exactly the same.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Bought new brake pads for my 66 plate Captur,went to fit them,loosen wheel nuts a tad,jack up car,wheel off. 13mm spanner in hand went to undo bolts. No 13mm bolts,just a plastic cup with a 7mm Allen bolt in and,Sod's law kicks in,I have loads of metric Allen keys from my bike riding days but no 7mm.
I'm actually assuming it is 7mm as a 6 is too small and an 8mm won't go in,does anyone know before I go and buy one? What happened to the 13mm bolts?
Just found video on YouTube,same set up as Clio4. 7mm Allen bolts.

·
Registered
420 Posts
A break in the monsoon like rain and I've finally fitted my new brake pads. 25 minutes from getting tools out to putting them away,total cost including £3.99p for 7mm Allen socket from Halfords,£24.84p. Fifteen mile road test/gentle bedding in,drive. All good,no more long pedal.
No,I didn't remove the reservoir cap.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like a simple enough task, I really should start doing this myself.

What brake pads did you go for, OE ones or some aftermarket "upgrades".

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
420 Posts
Not OE,had a look on Renault parts site and they were £70 a set!!!! Got some from GSF Car Parts. Binned the box last week when I went to fit them and couldn't so not sure of make. Not "upgrades", Brembo etc,it's a Captur,doesn't need racing compound pads just something to stop the car when asked.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I wasn't at all suggesting you needed some racing pads for the Captur, more so that places like Eurocarparts often run 50% off sales, whereby decent pads can be had for less than £20.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I wasn't at all suggesting you needed some racing pads for the Captur, more so that places like Eurocarparts often run 50% off sales, whereby decent pads can be had for less than £20.
I don’t understand your objection to racing pads for the captur, what happens when you release all that power when you turn off the eco mode

·
Registered
420 Posts
I always drive with ECO mode off(living life on the edge)I find having Renaults version of the Veyrons air brake(hand out of the window) dramatically slows the Captur from hyper speed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Scott-Walker,GSF were 60% off when I got my pads. If no one is having a sale when you look for parts,wait a few days. There is always a sale coming up,Pay day sale,mid month sale,end of month sale.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Absolutely, I would never pay "full price" for automotive parts and spares, as you say, between the main online retailers there is almost always a sale on! ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts