Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,Captur 0.9 tce 2015 model, 5052 km, with"Check anti-pollution system" error. Urban driven mainly, programmed at Renault Service by 13/06/2018, under warranty.
Suspect particle filter clogging and I will come back with details after service visit.

·
Registered
288 Posts
SOunds like DPF needs regenerating, have you tried taking the car on a long highway trip?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Does that engine have a DPF? Thought they were only on diesels. I'd look at the cheap stuff first like the air filter being blocked, making the petrol/air mix too rich

·
Registered
120 Posts
grumpy crdi said:
Does that engine have a DPF? Thought they were only on diesels. I'd look at the cheap stuff first like the air filter being blocked, making the petrol/air mix too rich

I too thought the particulate filters were only on the diesels. I had this once and remember reading, I think it was on here how to force a regen on the filter. I'm sure it was something like drive up to ~50 or 60 mph in third gear to force the regen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have driven in 3rd gear at 3000 - 3500 rev but the light still goes on, First alarm was "check start stop" then "check anti-pollution system". Maybe these two messages are linked to the same root cause.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Boby said:
Yes, I have driven in 3rd gear at 3000 - 3500 rev but the light still goes on, First alarm was "check start stop" then "check anti-pollution system". Maybe these two messages are linked to the same root cause.

The only advice in the handbook about "Check start stop" is take it to a dealer. I had the same notification. The dealer told me it was partially the battery and a glitch with the air con controller. The dealer reprogrammed the air con controller and so far I haven't had the "Check ....." message and the start stop actually works. My advice, take it to a dealer for diagnostics. Out of warranty my local dealer charge about £80

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for advice! I suspect also the battery for check start stop error.I will go to the approved dealer by Wednesday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just came back from the dealer and it is an ugly fault: admission valve position sensor defect. I have to wait the supply of a new sensor. They have never seen this defect before. The effect is the vehicle does not start or false start or stop it on the road.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Are you sure he said "admissions" valve position sensor? Or did he say "emissions" valve position sensor which is part of the EGR(exhaust gas recirculation valve)? The "emissions" sensor can display the symptoms you describe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it is a small position sensor in the right upper part of the engine. This gives the valve position to the ECU.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the Renault reference is 237312832R Cam sensor. When intermittent functioning the effect is long start, "check start stop" messages. When sensor is broken the start is impossible or the vehicle may stall in the middle on the road. In my case the engine ECU triggered "check anti-pollution system" as the information of cam position was not available or was intermittent. If the engine starts however, the ECU take the cam position information indirectly from the flywheel sensor and the engine relanti is higher and vibrating.During periodic service maintenance the technicians may see these intermittent errors but they delete them not investigating the root cause. From my point of view it is critical issue.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
So the "Admissions valve position sensor" is another way of saying "Camshaft position sensor"? Makes sense now! Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes right, I just translated exactly what the tester displayed.I investigated to my friends and this kind of sensor is also used on VW cars. The same symptoms they had....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello, Just brought back the car from the dealer. They kept it for more than a week due of missing of the cam sensor. They replaced it and the car works as before. When I asked to write down in the warranty booklet they denied but as my wife insisted directly to Renault they requested me to come back and write the issue in the warranty book. They proceed like that because they want to classify the case as isolated case but I insisted to do it because in the case of fault again I need warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had same warning light on my captur, the engine stalled when low revs few times.

Had a service coming up so took it to the dealership here in Sydney Australia. They told me it was the battery needed changing, diagnosed the fault by running diagnostics - which they wouldn’t share with me.

Changed the battery and the light went out and has not come back (it’s been 5 weeks now). There is still a funny smell like exhaust fumes coming in to cabin, but I’m not sure when that started might have been there a while.

Worried that there is a greater problem but don’t trust the dealership.

·
Registered
769 Posts
There is still a funny smell like exhaust fumes coming in to cabin, but I’m not sure when that started might have been there a while.

Worried that there is a greater problem but don’t trust the dealership.

URGENT you need to have it checked by another garage if you can smell "exhaust fumes"

I would buy a odb2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scanner off ebay and then check the fault codes yourself.

Fault codes for odb2 can be found online or you can download an app on google play for android.

The odb2 plug on the captur is under the small rubber mat in front of the gear leaver neer the lighter socket

Shop around

Here's an example on ebay aus
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2019-ELM327-ODB-ODB2-V2-1-Advanced-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-AU/333130619414?hash=item4d9021da16&enc=AQADAAAC8FjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVAvhvE88Nl7yhmqw6FqKbOxL3vZfqQ7aGMROAp8E65hdOcf3pCV2zjMLJ3J9yLTE4Nhaitwklp8aVDZgkxNoPg50UEm%2FJtpkz7JbKZTQBcaukHBbpjisv%2BxD6YH9EMHSFslP%2BHW3ZAoNuXmzFKlFYIIRJRbOTCw4Sp%2BDqSWouVVnAMkByR2HoP8tKXsPMwZBX1AiIlzs6YcTO2MblRjFuMcrP7CePAXzDaTuXFNs%2BZlOSzz%2BCNl3ANTL8Niz0EeSEx5X6mtb2vcAPjFsHV78r1iW1Bhq3NaoY6zvQ8Q%2BJVC7KWyCuZg45zhAkJfDozpBTVN%2FMKfC2Ki9%2B4RYcgoQmPWu1qF%2FyzIPyGma6%2Fr%2B5IYbTzNzwGasjM9SHB%2BXMECwCp4lv9dHjqHGlWtmkWYo3Do3532jYaXQHIM%2Buv6BYc81cQkyaiQoPS5H0Y0FivUyqU6ygHDCdSK2l1KqkfhbQqE3xA%2FZLnomIpHDh1SH4muXs0bR1ZeUo3L3aNkdrKsdHxVpYdHXvL4IXqwQxM%2BtO4TUO%2FuRFnLcGYUOaagNpq8gs5pg%2F%2FqLPJl0lKhu%2B2EacJ9gI1wJMCDp9GTuIPEg54Z%2FQ0oNABcs6ttlufbQVeFAQt3Kk6ahmPyjnuQI47LuS187ygztOpeDln5y3SgwKpuiv8C8MRCPwmkuyPylPSFra0baEHtkwNPt6qXEoq3INdZUlss3XTlCInt3cVpiMTO1BeLQ3K6mRX3hoF98VjyYJNNFOyM2mXufWzsvLqyB0bwzKKPVSjKr5etjZdvlg8Z7cxEo2Gxr5000tJsn3FFe%2BSMEBdvHOtBdX9Zp4%2BPeyvxG%2BqGV0RIYvnQ7NA9JnknigMZxz60tJi2dP3G1pEw%2B66d2vK5xAloGk61uoOY8ozbAGpGEKyYtu%2BsAbDbdDAAp8DHzBLQk79Ht0vrpGPuwwRBez7MLoUW4TbYECrXO1&checksum=33313061941405b0462d10f642b7ae17fdd45c3261fc&frcectupt=true

1 - 20 of 20 Posts