Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 reg 1.5DCi Auto .... from new .. at 6,000 miles the Anti-pollution system warning light came on //// after getting it into my local Renault garage and them checking the computer read out .. it was in need of an OIL change .. At 6.000 miles !!! any way .. sorted and now at 12,500 the warning light has come on again ... back to the dealers .. yes the same problem ... needs oil change again .... ??

Even the dealers don't know why it is coming up with this problem ...... I do alot of mixed type driving . town and motorway
so any ideas what is the problem ??

(ps. the car is on Motability )

plain:

·
Super Moderator
2,487 Posts
Had this message come up on ours a few weeks ago (2014 1.5 dCi auto). 20 to 30 minutes on the motorway (1 junction down from home then back again) and the message has gone. We put it own to a longer than usual spell of only town driving / short journeys

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The Anti-pollution system warning light usually indicates the cars catalytic converter
is getting clogged.

Your car need to get the catalytic converter hot in order to burn the rubbish out.

It will not clear if the cat is not hot.

A lower gear 20 mile or so run should start to clear the problem.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It is the first I have heard about cat problems with this engine. They usually regen without any trouble. Slightly worrying

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It is the first I have heard about cat problems with this engine. They usually regen without any trouble. Slightly worrying
With lots of short journeys the cat does not get hot enough especially in winter it’s not a problem if you can get the cat hot enough for it to regenerate

Every four months or so I drop it down a gear when on a motorway as I do lots of short trips.

I have started to add injector cleaner at every sixth fill-up now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Do catalytic converters actually get clogged up? I thought they got very hot,very quickly being mounted far up the exhaust system near the engine to maximise the exhaust gas heat. I also thought they only stopped working when the active components basically wore out(got burned away). I doubt the ambient temperatures we get in this country are low enough to "cool" the exhaust gasses sufficiently to prevent the cat working. I suspect it is the DPF that needs regenerating,if the oil needed changing you would get a service warning on the dash. Dealers will run the car at 2,000+ plus rpm for 15 minutes or so to clear the DPF,I think the "needs an oil change" is a scam to cover workshop/technicians time.
Who pays for work done on a Motobility car? The "owner"? Someone must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts