Renault Captur Forums banner

Check Anti-pollution system "Warning light"

254K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Adamswanson 
#1 ·
I have a 68 reg 1.5DCi Auto .... from new .. at 6,000 miles the Anti-pollution system warning light came on //// after getting it into my local Renault garage and them checking the computer read out .. it was in need of an OIL change .. At 6.000 miles !!! any way .. sorted and now at 12,500 the warning light has come on again ... back to the dealers .. yes the same problem ... needs oil change again .... ??

Even the dealers don't know why it is coming up with this problem ...... I do alot of mixed type driving . town and motorway
so any ideas what is the problem ??

(ps. the car is on Motability )

plain:

#2 ·
Had this message come up on ours a few weeks ago (2014 1.5 dCi auto). 20 to 30 minutes on the motorway (1 junction down from home then back again) and the message has gone. We put it own to a longer than usual spell of only town driving / short journeys

Reactions: MarkZA79
#5 ·
With lots of short journeys the cat does not get hot enough especially in winter it’s not a problem if you can get the cat hot enough for it to regenerate

Every four months or so I drop it down a gear when on a motorway as I do lots of short trips.

I have started to add injector cleaner at every sixth fill-up now.

#6 ·
Do catalytic converters actually get clogged up? I thought they got very hot,very quickly being mounted far up the exhaust system near the engine to maximise the exhaust gas heat. I also thought they only stopped working when the active components basically wore out(got burned away). I doubt the ambient temperatures we get in this country are low enough to "cool" the exhaust gasses sufficiently to prevent the cat working. I suspect it is the DPF that needs regenerating,if the oil needed changing you would get a service warning on the dash. Dealers will run the car at 2,000+ plus rpm for 15 minutes or so to clear the DPF,I think the "needs an oil change" is a scam to cover workshop/technicians time.
Who pays for work done on a Motobility car? The "owner"? Someone must.

#7 ·
We have a 2019 1.5 Traffic, also on Motability, light came on at 3000 miles they did an oil change and we waited three months for a Renault software update, 2500 miles later it has come on again, they said they did a reset and oil change, I picked up tonight after hours and the light is still on. Had very little explanation from the dealers reception staff, I also showed them a video of the scraping sound it makes when you switch the engine off that it has also started doing, they said it is normal, I asked what it actually is that does it then and they couldn't answer :/
To say I am livid is an understatement, when you read the fault code it shows up as 'Oil dilution' it gets a good mix of town and motorway driving, anyone had a permanent fix, have heard of exhaust temp sensors on earlier models?

#8 ·
I have a 68 reg 1.5DCi Auto .... from new .. at 6,000 miles the Anti-pollution system warning light came on //// after getting it into my local Renault garage and them checking the computer read out .. it was in need of an OIL change .. At 6.000 miles !!! any way .. sorted and now at 12,500 the warning light has come on again ... back to the dealers .. yes the same problem ... needs oil change again .... ??

Even the dealers don't know why it is coming up with this problem ...... I do alot of mixed type driving . town and motorway

plain:
Same started to day. Stop and start 3 times lights out. As for bad oil had it changed after 3 months RAC said bad oil. Still be changing car soon won’t have Renault again.

#10 ·
I have a 2020 plug-in hybrid with less than 1200 on the clock. Mainly used for short local journeys with an over-night charge, so doesn't use the ICE very much. I got the dreaded Anti-Pollution warning and booked it into the dealer as I'd only had the car for 4 weeks. By the time I reached the dealer the warning had disappeared but they said they would check it. After several attempted software downloads, consultations with Renault, referrals to the third party supplier and a wait of FOUR WEEKS, I got the car back with a new Injection Control Unit. (I only partially blame Brexit for the delays...)

#13 ·
I just got a new clio hybrid when i got it from the dealers it only done 750 miles around about , the check Anti-pollution light sometime comes on and other times it don't , I am a bit confused because even on longer drives it come on for miles then goes off , So its never on all the time more off than on and the car runs ok .

#15 ·
OK let's put this all in context. The original post was with a diesel engine and the proposed solution, in the absence of fault codes, was to regenerate the DPF (or FAP as Renault call it). Later posts are on petrol engines, where anti-pollution warning are often issues with injection, or catalysts (sensors). In fact there are scores of issues than can cause these warnings - injection timing, injection compensation, ignition (spark or coil issues), sensors in the exhaust system or inlet system etc., etc. You could say that "check injection" or "check anti-pollution" is a massive catch all for many faults. The only solution is a good mechanic with a decent diagnostic laptop - and this doesn't always mean local main dealer. I suspect hybrids are still frightening mechanics.

#19 ·
The original post was with a diesel engine and the proposed solution, in the absence of fault codes, was to regenerate the DPF (or FAP as Renault call it). Later posts are on petrol engines, where anti-pollution warning are often issues with injection, or catalysts (sensors)........ I suspect hybrids are still frightening mechanics.
It is worth noting that the Hybrids are fitted with a PPF so this additional item can be added to the "suspect list". That's probably why my warning cleared after taking the car for a good long and fast drive. I don't know if there is a facility for it to regen itself like a DPF but I suspect not.

#16 ·
Using the "wrong" oil can cause dpf problems. Not all correct weight oils are compatible with modern diesel engines. Who knows what dealers put in? I've seen Miller oils delivering to my local Renault workshop,I was also told by an ECP store manager that said dealership also buys cheap oil in bulk containers,from them and massively inflates the price to the customer when a car is serviced.

#17 ·
..... said dealership also buys cheap oil in bulk containers,from them and massively inflates the price to the customer when a car is serviced.
That's been an issue almost as long as dealerships have been around. They buy the oil in 25-gallon drums or similar for great trade prices, then sting the customer by charging at an inflated rate "per 100ml" or similar. In the good old days, some of us used to provide our own oil for the local garage to use when they serviced our cars, that way you knew what oil was going in as well as controlling the price.

#21 ·
Rather late to this thread. Just to point out from early posts that catalytic converters do not generally clog. Newest cars in many ranges, (don't know whether this applies to Capturs) are fitted with DPFs (diesel particle filters) and GPF (gasopline particle filters). These are what tends to block. A DPF may be cleared by fast running in high gear to get it hot enough to burn off the soot particles, and some cars (like PSA) use catalytic fluid injection to ease combustion. However, regeneration will not remove the inorganic ash which some oils may generate. This is why several car brands require use of specific low SAPs oil to prevent formation of ash. Newer cars with GDPs may also be prone to ash blockage so it may be necessary to use specific oils.

#22 ·

plain:
I have the same problem. It’s from day one the service light on . Bought it from Wilson Epsom they told me to drive in the motorway it will clear . But never cleared as busy I manage for 4 yeas now engine light and stop sign come up now . Take to dealer told me to replace dpf cost me £2800 to replace . But they still don’t know weather it sort out the issue

#24 ·

plain:

#26 ·
I've had no end of problems with the missus anti pollution and after some research and being robbed by Renault saying it was oil dilution I have found a solution ....if you have a scan tool and it says the error code relating to oil dilution start by resetting your service interval as if you have changed the oil use a scanner and clear the codes then take it for a normal drive for about half hour does not need motorway speeds as I've learned these captures actively regenerate as you drive at normal speeds....a little clue when you are driving and you stop and take it out of gear if you see the start stop deactivated with the symbol having a slash through it and the revs are holding on 1000 it's doing a regen....keep driving till the car is happy it's regen itself and will then allow the start stop to activate again. A regen won't take place if the oil dilution values have not been reset by resetting the service light this was my expensive realisation that Renault was doing and robbing me blind 3 times !!.....but obviously plan a new oil change as the oil is still diluted but it's a simple fix to keep the car going a bit longer till you drop the oil. These cars cannot take short trips all the while my missus car has this problem every 2-3k miles so it makes a complete mockery of the alleged 18500miles service interval.

#28 ·
Little update I've literally just done the same again to the wife's car....changed oil less than 6months ago and we have oil dilution again. I plugged my scanner in and mine actually tells me the dilution value so once these capturs see a 13% dilution value it triggers the engine management light along with the spanner light and will not do active regens....:sneaky:

Just a little edit to my advice previously about getting out the prevebual...when the engines doing a regen if the start stop does not engage after the regen it could be another monitoring system that thinks the battery is not upto charge .....so look for the revs to drop from 1000 to about 800 then this will also indicate the active regen has been done.

#29 ·
Good Day

So my Renault Captur 1.5 Diesel also recently started showing me this message about "Check anti-pollution system"

After this the vehicle went into a limp mode and there is a noticeable lack of power

I took it to the Renault Dealer who stated that the vehicle needed a software upgrade?

They have since done the software upgrade and said this did not fix the problem

They now want to replace the Catalytic Converter at some ridiculous cost which I cannot afford and even if could am hesitant in investing in this vehicle

Does this feedback from the dealer sound viable?

The vehicle does both town driving and freeway driving so build up sounds unlikely to me

I must add the vehicle was at the dealer about 4 months ago to have the Diesel Injection Pipe replaced ( it apparently tore ) and ever since then the car has sounded not quite right especially when in in 5th gear at higher speaks almost like it was lacking power. I am no mechanic so not sure if this is related. It just seems strange that only since then the car felt different and now this has happened

Advice appreciated

Thank You