Renault Captur Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I bought a new battery for my car as was suggested and all has been going swimmingly until today when the warning came back on! Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated :(

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Sorry to hear you are still having problems, check all the connections again, I changed my battery on a 12 months old captur and it needed a charge after two weeks, you may end up going to the main agent

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for your reply, something to consider. But, to be honest I am beginning to lose faith in this car and am considering selling it which is a shame as I loved it up until recently!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Oh I realise that - but the thing is my Renault dealer is about 30 miles from me and I don't feel happy driving it that far when I have to keep stopping and restarting it so much. Earlier I only had to drive it 3 miles during which I had to turn it off and restart 5 times!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Same problem? Or just the warning light? It's almost time for a new battery anyway so money was not wasted.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yep, I'm just wondering if it is charging OK or if it was well charged when fitted. Need to rule out the easy stuff first. Otherwise it will have to be a trip to a Renault garage. How much use has the car had in the past three weeks since the battery was fitted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yep, I'm just wondering if it is charging OK or if it was well charged when fitted. Need to rule out the easy stuff first. Otherwise it will have to be a trip to a Renault garage. How much use has the car had in the past three weeks since the battery was fitted.
[/QUOT

Surely a new battery should be fully charged? It's been used daily since

·
Registered
407 Posts
A new battery comes off the shelf, not off a charger. Anybody's guess how long it has been there. A good run should top it up nicely though and, if it is very low you will get a warning message anyway. I was just thinking maybe you hadn't used it much since you collected it. I have a cheap Chinese digital voltmeter in my accessory socket permanently. Amazingly useful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A new battery comes off the shelf, not off a charger. Anybody's guess how long it has been there. A good run should top it up nicely though and, if it is very low you will get a warning message anyway. I was just thinking maybe you hadn't used it much since you collected it. I have a cheap Chinese digital voltmeter in my accessory socket permanently. Amazingly useful.
Ah I get your point - but yes the cars had a good few runs since it was fitted. So I'm thinking it must be something else now, and as I mentioned earlier I am losing faith in it and might just give up on it, I don't have the funds to keep throwing at it - I've not long spent a fortune on new brakes, a full service and an MOT to say nothing of the new battery :(

·
Super Moderator
2,737 Posts
Find a decent auto electrician, maybe a mobile one who will come to you. It's very easy to check to see if there is an abnormal drain on the battery when the engine is switched off

Reactions: dick riculous

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Has anyone tried to read any fault codes.
Yes (see my earlier comments) but it has thrown up another one just before the new battery which were something along the lines of some kind of electrical failure, the garage technician mentioned something about a solenoid I think? I have no idea yet as to what todays issue is though

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Find a decent auto electrician, maybe a mobile one who will come to you. It's very easy to check to see if there is an abnormal drain on the battery when the engine is switched off
Would my breakdown cover it do you think? I live out in the sticks and not easy to find a 'mobile' anything willing to come out here

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I forgot to add that I'm going to take it to a local garage who can read the fault for me - that's if I can get it there without too much hassle

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes (see my earlier comments) but it has thrown up another one just before the new battery which were something along the lines of some kind of electrical failure, the garage technician mentioned something about a solenoid I think? I have no idea yet as to what todays issue is though
My mistake. I couldn't find much on those codes except IO would say they are unrelated. Someone here had the same issue, and changing the solenoid didn't help.
captur 2014 transmission error is DF490 clutch 2 electrical circuit fault - MHH AUTO - Page 1

If you breakdown on the road your breakdown cover should take you home or to the garage. Just play dumb and don't say you thought it might happen. They are sturdy gearboxes but loaded with sensors and an electronic control unit. You might need a Renault tech eventually. If so, ask them to run a full diagnosis and software update/calibration. Worked for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My mistake. I couldn't find much on those codes except IO would say they are unrelated. Someone here had the same issue, and changing the solenoid didn't help.
captur 2014 transmission error is DF490 clutch 2 electrical circuit fault - MHH AUTO - Page 1

If you breakdown on the road your breakdown cover should take you home or to the garage. Just play dumb and don't say you thought it might happen. They are sturdy gearboxes but loaded with sensors and an electronic control unit. You might need a Renault tech eventually. If so, ask them to run a full diagnosis and software update/calibration. Worked for me.
Could I be cheeky and ask if it's likely to be costly? Thanks

21 - 40 of 41 Posts