Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,
Im currently having an error message with my renault capture 1.2 tce " check auto gearbox "
When it happens the car miss some gear and if i stop completely, when i accelerate , it hardly moves.
Even the mechanic dont know the exact problem
Please help

Regards
Far

·
Registered
119 Posts
HI, mine did this the other week in a car park, started up put into reverse, no thing, tried drive,just the same, message showed check auto g/box, switched off waited a minute , started up all ok,& has been since. put it down to electronic interference, my TCE is nearly 6 & has 37k miles, also get fault of stop switch not switching car off ,this has happened about 4 times but does not leave a message.

·
Registered
700 Posts
  • That was the basis of my second question. But also, as @ggboy mentioned, going into reverse gear seems to be a common thread in many similar occurrences. Happened to me. I was within hours of taking the box out (I knew it wasn't a battery problem at the time) and someone else suggested I try a gearbox software reset/update. Surprisingly it worked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI, mine did this the other week in a car park, started up put into reverse, no thing, tried drive,just the same, message showed check auto g/box, switched off waited a minute , started up all ok,& has been since. put it down to electronic interference, my TCE is nearly 6 & has 37k miles, also get fault of stop switch not switching car off ,this has happened about 4 times but does not leave a message.
Do you know the fault code please ?
Mine is 1st clutch motor circuit , short circuit to earth
DF489

·
Registered
700 Posts
Mine was a DF388 error - Clutch 1 fault. I couldn't find a problem - checked all the elec connections etc. Turned out a reprogram sorted it. Need a Renault garage though, and no guarantee that it will work. Mine was a 2011 Grand Scenic, same gearbox. The EDC box has two shafts - one has gears 1, 3 and 5 and the other has Reverse, 2, 4 and 6. If one clutch/shaft assembly fails (or the system thinks it has failed) it will use only the odd or the even gears. Sounds like this failure mode on your car is using R246 only. If it really is a gearbox failure it is a big problem. There's a chance a reprogram will sort it - better that 50% - on the basis that these actually are quite reliable boxes. I was able to clear the codes each time they appeared, after which they returned quite quickly but the gearbox worked fine in between. This was my clue that the gearbox was not physically defective. First thing to check though is that all the connectors etc are in good condition. Short circuit to earth sounds like there might be an external elec problem.

Good luck and let us know how you get along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was a DF388 error - Clutch 1 fault. I couldn't find a problem - checked all the elec connections etc. Turned out a reprogram sorted it. Need a Renault garage though, and no guarantee that it will work. Mine was a 2011 Grand Scenic, same gearbox. The EDC box has two shafts - one has gears 1, 3 and 5 and the other has Reverse, 2, 4 and 6. If one clutch/shaft assembly fails (or the system thinks it has failed) it will use only the odd or the even gears. Sounds like this failure mode on your car is using R246 only. If it really is a gearbox failure it is a big problem. There's a chance a reprogram will sort it - better that 50% - on the basis that these actually are quite reliable boxes. I was able to clear the codes each time they appeared, after which they returned quite quickly but the gearbox worked fine in between. This was my clue that the gearbox was not physically defective. First thing to check though is that all the connectors etc are in good condition. Short circuit to earth sounds like there might be an external elec problem.

Good luck and let us know how you get along.
Thank you for your help buddy
I will keep you posted
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys ,
Im currently having an error message with my renault capture 1.2 tce " check auto gearbox "
When it happens the car miss some gear and if i stop completely, when i accelerate , it hardly moves.
Please help

Regards
Far
Possible cause is a gearbox computer fault if DTC174401 clutch 2 motor circuit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys ,
Please help

Regards
Far
Hi i am having the same problems, this is going on for some time now, i used to get going once i turn the car off completely and restart, but now it has got out of hand and i had to get vehicle recovery to bring it home. his car has only 38000 km on and like new but now we are stranded.
any news from your side what to do

·
Registered
700 Posts
Difficult to say from here but I really doubt the valve body needs changing. It would be useful if more people with the same problem actually returned to the forum to say how they resolved it.

What are the symptoms. Have you tried the other options above?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Difficult to say from here but I really doubt the valve body needs changing. It would be useful if more people with the same problem actually returned to the forum to say how they resolved it.

What are the symptoms. Have you tried the other options above?
First my car show worning anti pollution sysetm after 2 month show check auto gear box
The transmission not shifting on 1,3,5
I turn off then trun it on every thing fine for 10 minutes then gear not shifting 1.3.5
This what happens with me
The big problem no workshop deal with renault here in saudia i cant found answer
Sorry for my language weakness

·
Registered
700 Posts
Don't worry about language, it's ok. I "think" it's a software problem, or a bad battery. Battery only lasts 5-6 years so if close to this it needs changing anyway. Otherwise, you need a good Renault technician. Fault code says "Clutch" but after turning off it works for a while so it obviously hasn't failed mechanically. Exactly the same happened to me but I needed Renault to reprogram the box. Sorry I can't be more help from here but unless you can get some guarantees from Renault that a new valve body will fix it I would get a second opinion. Mechanically these are reliable gearboxes. Software and external electrical connections, and a reliable 12v supply, are their weaknesses. Sorry I can't be more positive. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The technician told me that I need to pack the gearbox
Don't worry about language, it's ok. I "think" it's a software problem, or a bad battery. Battery only lasts 5-6 years so if close to this it needs changing anyway. Otherwise, you need a good Renault technician. Fault code says "Clutch" but after turning off it works for a while so it obviously hasn't failed mechanically. Exactly the same happened to me but I needed Renault to reprogram the box. Sorry I can't be more help from here but unless you can get some guarantees from Renault that a new valve body will fix it I would get a second opinion. Mechanically these are reliable gearboxes. Software and external electrical connections, and a reliable 12v supply, are their weaknesses. Sorry I can't be more positive. Let us know what happens.
They told me need gearbox overhaul..
any advice pleas

1 - 20 of 52 Posts