Renault Captur Forums banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you know any guarage that can do it in east london?
Thanks to you
Reseting the gearbox solved the cars issue. Driven for almost 2 hour and car drives as normal.
I will put the car up for sale after testing for a week.
It's time yo go back to a petrol fully automatic car. No more french car.

·
Registered
Captur 2017 1.5DCI EDC
872 Posts
Well done. And they didn't charge you. I hope the garage knows that it worked. Don't be too hard on the gearbox. I am on my third car with the same box. It's a mechanically sound box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well done. And they didn't charge you. I hope the garage knows that it worked. Don't be too hard on the gearbox. I am on my third car with the same box. It's a mechanically sound box.
They didn't charge me because they believed it's not the solution.
It's my first time in that garage.
I won't go for any car with same gear with clutch because no mechanic really understand the gear.
If i listen to them, i would have spent a lot to buy new gear that was never needed.
About 6 garage rejected the car before i found out this garage that reset the gear.
It drives good when good

·
Registered
Captur 2017 1.5DCI EDC
872 Posts
I absolutely agree. Modern gearboxes are complex and many garages cannot deal with them. Most mechanics these days are trained to respond to fault codes.... and codes are not very specific, they are just an interpretation of a signal from a sensor. I agree, no "trained" mechanic really understands how to deal with a set of fault codes that cannot be converted into a real fault. It's not just cars... a few years ago I had a problem with a gas boiler in UK - the gas engineer said he couldn't diagnose the problem since he had been trained to interpret fault codes, and my boiler was ten (yes ten not a hundred) years old. His solution was to change the boiler for several thousand pounds. Obviously I said NO, and eventually fixed it myself with a £30 replacement exhaust fan.
You say you want to buy an automatic... there are not many better boxes out there. Torque-converter epicyclic boxes are becoming rare and beware of semi-auto boxes. Dual shaft autos are the best you can find. CVT boxes have their own issues. Electronics and software are the biggest contributors to problems and all boxes have that today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I absolutely agree. Modern gearboxes are complex and many garages cannot deal with them. Most mechanics these days are trained to respond to fault codes.... and codes are not very specific, they are just an interpretation of a signal from a sensor. I agree, no "trained" mechanic really understands how to deal with a set of fault codes that cannot be converted into a real fault. It's not just cars... a few years ago I had a problem with a gas boiler in UK - the gas engineer said he couldn't diagnose the problem since he had been trained to interpret fault codes, and my boiler was ten (yes ten not a hundred) years old. His solution was to change the boiler for several thousand pounds. Obviously I said NO, and eventually fixed it myself with a £30 replacement exhaust fan.
You say you want to buy an automatic... there are not many better boxes out there. Torque-converter epicyclic boxes are becoming rare and beware of semi-auto boxes. Dual shaft autos are the best you can find. CVT boxes have their own issues. Electronics and software are the biggest contributors to problems and all boxes have that today.
I agree with you.
I am only buying the convectional normal gearbox.
I use an honda crv, this is for my mrs to move the kids around and she can only drive automatic.
She doesn't know how to drive manual so we are stalked with automatic cars forever and autos are so expensive nowaways.

·
Registered
Captur 2017 1.5DCI EDC
872 Posts
Thanks for letting us and future owners know. It's all important feedback, especially since all advice on this forum is given without ever seeing a car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for letting us and future owners know. It's all important feedback, especially since all advice on this forum is given without ever seeing a car.
Yes i know, i got my solution here and I'm happy to give an update as well.
Our conclusion is to sell the car (renault grand scenic 2011 auto diesel), car is perfectly ok now.
The reason for sale is to buy a petrol car due to ULEZ compliant since we live in london and its restricting our movement to where we can go without paying ulez fee

61 - 69 of 69 Posts