Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to use this platform but I am seriously in need of some help. I have a Renault Megan 2016 always been serviced by the Renault garage never missed a service etc. now the dash board lights up and says check pollution filter. I rushed to Renault they say they can only see it on Thursday. Then I called another Renault branch and was told they would need my car for three days! I know I am blond but seriously! So I am going to have to wait for Thursday to get it to the garage near my home. Two questions one can I still drive it safely as I need to get kids to school etc. must I go check the oil or water level will that help at All? I really cannot be without a car for three days one is pushing it. And how come two garage had such different approaches, one said come back Thursday the other leave the car here for three days.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Don't panic. The pollution filter is nothing... it is the air filter for the cabin, needs to be changed during service. Yes the car is safe to drive. Are you sure this is what the warning said....

...anti-pollution is to do with emissions; pollution is just to do with the air quality inside your car. It's an easy job

·
Registered
579 Posts
OK that's the antipollution system, not the cabin filter. This is the car's emissions controls. If the car is driving OK there is nothing to worry about but it needs checking. First thing they will do is connect to their computer to see if any faults have been logged. Three days seems a lot. Is it a diesel, in which case I would take it for a 15minute motorway drive to clear any cobwebs. Keep the revs up. If you have a diesel and use it only for short runs it can get clogged up. If it is petrol it might need longer to sort. Yes it's safe to drive but it needs fixing. One day should be enough. Even if they have to order parts you should be able to keep it in the meantime. Tell them you really need the car. Oil and water levels won't help, although they still should be checked from time to time. Different garages have different approaches. One day should be enough if they have the right equipment and parts. Three days means either they are busy or they don't have a plan yet to deal with it. See if the one day garage will let you be first in the queue (take it in the night before) and promise you to have the car back by the evening.

One other point, if the battery is more than five or six years old, it is always "possible" that this could be leading to a spurious fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brand new battery after lock down here it kept running flat first bought a charger then gave up. So new battery it has had in since March. It is a diesel I drive on the highway each day for about 20 min in each direction . Will have to take it in on Thursday just hope it keeps going till then. Thanks for the input. I hate feeling lost with cars always get ripped off. Needed to repair a tyre ended up coming home with four new tyres . Really hope it's something easy and quick to repair . Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's kinda like the problem I would prefer. I take it in tomorrow to the garage that didn't say three days....then I hope and pray!

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Needed to repair a tyre ended up coming home with four new tyres . Really hope it's something easy and quick to repair . Thanks again
Unfortunately these days there are many "rip-off" merchants and you need to have some knowledge yourself to be able to argue against some of the claims that these places will make. If the tyres had sufficient depth to be legal and there were no signs of damage or deterioration then there should not have been a need to change them. Punctures do seem to result in many new tyres being sold since tyre places are claiming that many repairs would not be legal or may be unsafe. Damage in the centre part of the thread area seems to be the only sort that is repairable, and even then only if it is a small hole through from outside to inside of the tyre. It may be unfortunate but ultimately is the potential risk of an accident due to a "marginal" repair worth it? .... and yes I've had a puncture on a tyre that was less than 1000 miles old which was not repairable, about £70 for a new tyre but ultimately my life is worth a lot more than that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts