·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

Misty was given her first bath today so she is now lovely
and shiny. I must say the Tahoe blue
hides the dirty very well. Although now that the outside of the windows are
nice and clean, the dirt on the inside of the windows really shows!

One thing I had trouble with (and is still a bit dirty) is
the chrome accent and letters on the back.
The side trims are fine, but the back just hasn't been looked after and it's
dirty around the letters. I risked using
a small dab of the alloy cleaner I have, which had no effect.So I was wondering if anyone else is particular about their
car as I am and has had good results with a chrome polish?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Chrome polish is VERY abrasive so if I where you I would be very carefull if using it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Goldy said:
Chrome polish is VERY abrasive so if I where you I would be very carefull if using it.
I will avoid that then! I was hesitant about the alloy cleaner (very acidic), which I got away with. I don't think I'll push my luck again!

Tyrfelin said:
Bug shifter!
Is that from experience?

Edited by: nowimboard

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
bug shifter applied with an old toothbrush or slim nailbrush

·
Registered
405 Posts
Check out this site. The products are fantastic and I would recommend them to anybody. I've been in the motor trade for 40+ years so I can speak from experience.Doing the job right takes time and effort but the result is great.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/

·
Registered
209 Posts
Autosol Metal Polish, available from Halfords. Been using it for years. Gives remarkable results. Even use it to clean the chrome rails in our shower.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Morning everyone,
I went to Halfords last night a grabbed some Simoniz Protection Chrome Cleaner (I will check out the Meguiars stuff, but it looks a bit pricey!), grabbed the Mrs' favourite toothbrush and went to attack the back end.

I remembered to take a picture of the last letter BEFORE I did it to show the before and after. The R wasn't the worst but it's all I got!

Before:

After:

I now take back what I said about the other chrome pieces, once I saw how clean the chrome came up, I saw how crappy the rest of them are, well WERE!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
YesMeguiarsis a bit pricey but remember the old adage "you get what you pay for"Meguiars is very very easy to use and the end result lasts a long long time.To do the jobproperlyyou CLEAN first and then POLISH/WAX.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just spent a few bob on various cleaning products (Took advantage of the Halfords 3 for 2):

1) Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
2) G3 Wax
3) Megs Deep Polish
4)Simoniz Protection Chrome Cleaner
5) Applicator pads
6) Chammy

I must keep the car looking good, not only because I want to show off it's blue paint job but as I'll end up swapping it in 3 years I need to keep the car looking in tip-top condition. Also, I have a motorbike which is my pride and joy so it deserves a little TLC .....

Edited by: lor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts