Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Morning,

The climate control unit on my 16 Captur no longer activates when the car is started, all of the controls on the unit seem to have no power at all including the rear heated screen. However after around 5 minutes into a journey the unit lights up and functions completely normally.

If I start/stop the car while stationary on the drive the unit does not activate until the 4th or 5th start-up.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

I've tested the following;

Fuse replaced in slot 23 & 24
Tested the battery with a multi meter

I've also recorded a video of it not and working
Not working
Working

2016 | 1.2 TCE | Automatic

Thank you

·
Registered
455 Posts
You mention the heated screen as well, which rules out options to do with the a/c compressor control system etc., (unless that is a coincidence). Voltage (battery) is always a possibility (as dickr says) and if your car is on the original battery a change will be due soon (earlier rather than later). Other than that, the climate system might operate though a relay. I have tried everywhere to find which relays (and where) operate what systems. Renault are too bl##dy secretive about these and I'm still looking.

·
Super Moderator
2,756 Posts
Can't see either video as they are tagged as "private", however first starting point is the charge state of the battery. When it is low on power, some items are disabled. If you can, go for a long drive (maybe 30 minutes or more) with the headlights on, this should ensure that the charging circuit is operating normally

·
Registered
785 Posts
Do batteries degrade quicker if the car is not used regularly? Never had to replace one and up until covid have done at least 15,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
455 Posts
they degrade quickly if they are left uncharged. So yes, it the battery is allowed to discharge when it is not used. In a modern car it is only a matter of a few weeks for the battery to flatten completely - not like the good old days when car computers, immobilisers and keyless entry systems had not been developed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, I've now made the videos visible. So far I've tried:

- Using an AGM battery charger to bring it up to 100%. no change in symptoms but stop/start became active again. (I hadn't noticed that the feature had also not been active for a while)

- Took it out for a long drive. Climate controls switch on after 10-15 mins. But when started the next day, same symptoms as before.

I'm leaning towards it being a battery issue. I rang Renault and they wanted £99 to take a look. So I've booked a Halfords free battery check this Saturday. I'll report back if it fixes it.

Thanks again all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all,

Just had a full battery diagnostic at Halfords - The Battery is in Very good condition according to the diagnostic tool that they used on it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
OK. so it could be a problem with the UCH but I am surprised no fault has been logged or detected. Has anyone checked this? UCH is French for what the rest of us call BCM , or body control module, the ecu for cabin electronics. Renault need to do a full diagnostics first.. or a friend who has renault specific obd reader. Issue could be as simple as a software reset/update or a new UCH.

Having said all the above, I wouldn't bet my life on a Halfords test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts