Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All

Over the last month or so, I have noticed that my Captur has been loosing coolant. My initial thought was "oh S%^t" as some time ago my old Peugeot 106 did the same and that was the first signs of the head gasket going.

However, I have rigorously checked the oil and there is no sign of the "white fur" you get when coolant is passing the head gasket. So that is good news. The bad news is it is still leaking somewhere, and I am having to put ~250ml in a week to keep the coolant level above the min mark.

Has anyone else had a coolant leak issue and if so, where did it get traced to? Searching the forum it suggests that the thermostat housing could be a likely cause.
If it is the thermostat housing, can anyone who has had this fixed give me a rough indication of the cost involved?

Thanks in advance

Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi I think I had similar last year on 63 plate, I was still under 12 month warranty ( second hand buy) so wasn't charged but paper work indicates £73 parts and £85 labour to replace water housing which was causing leak and then retest it etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
250ml per week.... suggest that it is worth asking a garage to do a pressure check on the system, which should identify any leak fairly easily. I had this on my old Scenic, and the pressure test quickly found an issue on the waterpump housing; car fixed within 24 hours (slight delay in getting the right parts)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi I think I had similar last year on 63 plate, I was still under 12 month warranty ( second hand buy) so wasn't charged but paper work indicates £73 parts and £85 labour to replace water housing which was causing leak and then retest it etc.
This is really useful Smallrat, thank you!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
250ml per week.... suggest that it is worth asking a garage to do a pressure check on the system, which should identify any leak fairly easily. I had this on my old Scenic, and the pressure test quickly found an issue on the waterpump housing; car fixed within 24 hours (slight delay in getting the right parts)
Thanks Ivor. I have spoken to my local indie garage who have done all the work on my previous vehicles and I will be taking it in in a couple of weeks for exactly that (I haven't the time between now and then unfortunately). I have given them the heads up it could be the thermostat housing so that might speed things up. I will report back once the problem is identified and fixed accordingly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All. Just a quick update, the leak was indeed coming from the plastic thermostat housing. Sourcing a part off eBay tonight and getting it fixed this week. All in all, will the labour included, my local indie garage will be sorting it for approx £100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts