Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just noticed that my coolant level has dropped below Min. I have never had to top up coolant on any new car I have had before a service, so really don't know what type to get. I would go to my 'local' Renault dealer but it's miles away. Can anyone advise me please?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no leaks at all. The manual reads as if adding coolant was normal. Should I contact the dealer rather than top up?
Also just found this post from 10th April
bashbauer said:
The antifreeze/coolant level is low on my captur. Which one should i use from Halfords. Staff i spoke to in there today didnt have a clue unfortunately. Thanks.
So it's not just my captur that's lost coolant. Worried now though
Edited by: Bluejay

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
I am still waiting for my Captur so cannot give a definitive answer. However if you have to add less than half a litre, plain water is probably OK as you won't significantly be altering the water-to-antifreeze ratio.Most new cars these days are fitted with antifreeze that should last 5 years and is typically red in colour, as distinct from the blue-green stuff that should be changed every 2 to 3 years. If it's red, look for "long-life" antifreeze that should, in the small-print on the bottle, state that it should be changed every 5 years. Otherwise just go for "normal" car antifreeze

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
That's going to clash terribly with some of the body colours !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Bluejay
We had the same except this was on delivery. Couldn't really check the level when we picked up Rosie as car was on a gradient. Got back home found it was just above min when we checked. Spoke to dealer and they gave us about 3/4 of a litre of anitfreeze/Engine Coolant.
The bottle states
Glaceol RX
Type D
Engine Coolant
-25c
Hope this of help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, I will contact them later today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Bluejay.

Did you get any further with your coolant? I too have the same issue and would be grateful to hear what they said / which coolant is best to top up.

Cheers,

Robin

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Robin, I called my dealers service department and they said to ask for a distilled water and antifreeze mix suitable for an aluminium engine. Slightly worried that I would be leaving that description in the hands of the local Halfords, I decided I will take the trip to my dealer tomorrow and get them to top it up. Incidentally the service guy said I should keep an eye on it after top up in case there is a problem. I am still a tad worried as I always buy new cars, so the only car I have ever had to watch the coolant level on is my daughters 2001 ford ka.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the message, do you mean when I got the car? The honest answer is I can't remember! I have this feeling it was higher but that may have been when emgine was hot. Robin

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to my dealer who checked the car and said there is no sign of a leak, so topped up for me and said to keep an eye on it, but it's probably just 'settlement' ... HmmmmmAnyway, I will do as he said and check again in a few weeks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all.

Phoned my dealer who said "doubt it's a leak" but could not offer a reason why it would be low.

They suggested toppung up a bit of water, which I have done and am going to keep a close eye on it!

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
cwmeinion said:
but could not offer a reason why it would be low.
Could be a bit of air trapped in the system from new (unlikely as it's probably fitted under pressure at the factory)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Bluejay
Saw your comments on coolant levels and decided to check mine.
Guess what, my level is on minimum after just over 1000miles and three months. rang dealer and am taking it in for checking Tues, 8th July. will post result for all to see.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Interesting this...!Just checked mine and it is just above minimum..! Only done 1200 miles.. My guess is it was low from the factory...will just keep my eye on it..and get Dealer to top it up..
Incidentally, the windscreen washer bottle was very low on delivery, anyone else notice.?
Renault must be saving on fluids..!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts