Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it worth sharing in case anyone else experiences this. Car will be 4 years old in October. I noticed in May that the coolant level had dropped well below Min so topped up using Renault approved fluid. Anyway, kept an eye on it, but the level wasn't being maintained and had to be topped up every 10 days or so. We only do about 8k miles per year.As at 20th July i had used 1 litre of fluid to top so decided to book in as clearly not right. Got it back today and fair play to the local dealer, took them a while but they traced it. Turns out, the seal around the thermostat housing was leaking fluid, hence my observations. The problem of course is the car has an under tray with absorbent material, so gone are the days you notice a pool on your driveway.
So moral of the story - CHECK YOUR LEVELS - weekly like I do.
My local dealership have said that this is the first example they've had of this !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My partner & I both drive capturs. Both brand new & both within weeks suffered a sudden & dramatic loss of coolant.
Garage made up some story about the cars having a small engine so they work harder and use more fluid and needing regular top up.
Strange that, I've owned other cars with equally small engines (from new) and never had to top up fluid unless something was wrong. We keep a very close eye on it now as has happened more than once.
Disappointed & not reassured: They didn't take it seriously at the garage & also said it wouldn't damage the engine unless the water was below the tube at the bottom of the reservoir. Felt rather confused by their attitude.

·
Super Moderator
2,452 Posts
Any car engine should not loose water.... it's going somewhere if you keep having to top it up, and that needs investigating especially if there are no obvious signs of leaks. When my old Scenic started leaking it turned out to be the themostat housing, found out by a pressure test which stressed the small point of leak until it blew, instantly revealing the source of the problem. Not that cheap to fix, but a lot less than the cost of a new engine.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
These posts from several Renault owners confirm for me, i was correct not to take up the cause on behalf of my wife, with her 2015 Clio 0.9 Tce bought from new.

Less BS would be appreciated when dealers especially are confronted with worried owners who are after all preventing catastrophic engine failure by being careful and diligent owners.

Seeing the Honest John column website contributions about the Clio mk4, it is obvious that the new range of engines leak coolant in significant numbers. The talk of ‘that’s never been seen before’ is probably a bit of a common untruth.

I have yet to find a garage or dealer that when confronted with an opportunity to either make money, incur cost under warranty to make good a vehicle, or come up with almost any creative and delaying/inflating of billable ‘work done/said to be done’, did not plump for the most profitable option.

So, our car leaks, and is fine in really stinking hot summer, but loses masses of coolant in cool weather. The guy that wrote in to Honest John, was eventually told it was a head gasket and that his dealer did this work under warranty as the car was only 2,400 miles old.

I took this at face value. However, our car is out of warranty and i took it to the solitary indie garage firm i know, who said what you people do...it is a thermostat housing or housing gasket leak and will cost about £250.

Now, given my view expressed about the reticence of garages or dealers to do unpaid warranty work, and the fact neither the 2,400 mile Clio owner nor us, have any oil in the coolant nor coolant emulsifying the oil, i think he was told a big fat fib.

He quite possibly had the thermostat housing leak after all, but the dealer for reasons of positive image or getting a payout from Renault, have stuck it through as a head gasket job.

It’s money i am afraid, it is simply impossible to over-reach in terms of scepticism about schemes and scams.

Good though to be here because it reinforces the likelihood our issue is contained and correctly diagnosed. Booked it in for next week.

BTW...you got that juddery clutch thing going on, especially when cold of a morning? My spouse blames my technique but basically she just revs it and keeps the clutch only partly engaged until past judder-point.

Ie she has adjusted her takeoff style to overcome this foible as all good drivers do.

Thanks for sharing your experienced though, it is incredibly helpful. To pay £14k for a car though, and have to diagnose faults ourselves, is reprehensible.

Roll on electric, is my view. I can’t wait to be rid of the museum pieces being sold brand new right now! Our year 2000 clio mk 2 has not yet leaked coolant by the way.

134,000 miles. I topped it perhaps a handful of times in nearly two decades. It’s had the coolant entirely replaced several times. I topped this clio mk 4 countless times in four years. The mk2 will leak eventually, but there is no comparison in reliability and trouble-free motoring, and the clutch doesn’t judder and the driver needn’t keep the clutch rubbing until the judder point is past.

Lastly, fuel economy. The 8v 1.2 clio mk2 returns 44mpg nearly. That is almost exactly the same as the mk4, to a decimal point. Of course the mk4 is a bigger car externally and has aircon, but all that is irrelevant up against reliability and repair-cost worries, no?

·
Registered
452 Posts
My last car,Fiesta 1.6tdci,started losing coolant around 78,000miles. I traced it to the seal on the thermostat housing,which you can't buy. Local Ford dealer wanted £187 to fit complete new housing. Got one myself from Micks Garage,identical to Ford one,and did the job myself. Total cost including coolant? £32!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem with the tce engines is that the overflow reservoir does not actually have a overflow pipe. When you overfill your reservoir, it wil over pressurize. This will cause something to break in your cooling system, likely the thermostat housing gasket or the housing itself will crack. Read your car manuals. Only fill reservoirs to between the Maxi and Mini mark when coolant too low. Never fill to or above Maxi mark. Cars are very sensitive. Check your coolant every week.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good enough advice but all systems have pressure relief valves/caps. Renault's problem is the the overuse of plastic components. If that is not enough they let the oilways and waterways share the same plastic bendy housing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only pressure relief valve is on the radiator cap, usually set to 15 psi. Operating the car under increased pressure for prolonged periods of time will ultimately lead to this plastic parts breaking. I'm not arguing that Renaults are made using good materials. If everything was steel or aluminum the car wouldn't be as cheap as it is 😜 But the point is these part's break because of unnecessary reasons. 99% of cars won't be broken when they come out of the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts