Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the point of the "CURRENT MPG" gauge.
It usually flits between 50mpg to 99.9 mpg so fast that you cannot determine the current reading.
Is it just mine, or does everybody have this problem. Even when you drive at a constant speed on a motorway, the figures change so rapidly, it is almost impossible to view a reliable reading.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe it is a fault on mine then, if everyone can read their "CURRENT MPH". Mine is virtually unreadable / unbelievable - the way it jumps dramatically from one speed to another, even on a constant, straight run.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Current mpg fluctuation is common and not a fault. Every car I have owned with this feature does exactly the same-average mpg is generally within a 10% error range. To be accurate fill up to the first click,note mileage over a distance, fill up again to first click,multiply litres used by 0.22 to get gallons and divide into mileage covered . Then compare to fuel computer-mine is pretty close.Edited by: Rob

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if I made myself clear. The Average MPG is fine. The Current MPG is virtually unreadable as the figures fluctuate so rappidly up to 99.9 mpg. Even on a straight run you get a reading of say 55 mpg one second and the next second, its up to 99.9 mpg. Its a useless guage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine is the same jumps about not quite as quick as your's, I thought it was faulty but it seems that's how it is, and my average is still stuck at 29.9MPG.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, these readings are not much use. Take your foot off the pedal or going down hill and you will easily see 99,9mpg.

Never forget a few years back I had a Volvo XC90 and pulling away from a standing start, foot flat to the boards and a/c on (hot summers day) the gauge read 1mpg for about 1/2 mile.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
salmon44 said:
Mine is the same jumps about not quite as quick as your's, I thought it was faulty but it seems that's how it is, and my average is still stuck at 29.9MPG.
I like using the Average MPG. I have it displayed all the time. Hope you get yours sorted out soon.
Still don't know why Renault bothered with the Current MPG as it is the most useless, unreadable gadget I have come across. Perhaps the way the figures fluctuates so fast is "normal" - but what is the point when you have figures of 55mpg, then 99.9mpg flagging up. Bonkers !

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
awq said:
Still don't know why Renault bothered with the Current MPG as it is the most useless, unreadable gadget I have come across.
Probably because almost all cars with a trip computer have this function. It is totally pointless, as when running downhill with your foot off the gas, the actual mpg figure is in the hundreds but when accelerating hard, it can drop to single figures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts