Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fitted a Dashcam today and thought I would share the wiring connections to the positive fuse box and ground in pictures . I wired into the cigarette lighter position 32 which is an ignition switch live so ideal using a piggyback fuse . Hopefully you can see which position in the picture . The ground position is behind the dash side panel which can be removed with pry tools . I purchased the camera wiring kit from Amazon which includes everything you need to install .

·
Registered
4 Posts
John, what size fuse did you use for the dash cam itself ?
My dash cam has the plug that goes into the *** lighter but iam going to hard wire it in like you. I should think if you use the *** lighter fuse then the dash cam can run the same fuse as you would be using that fuse if you use the socket. Hope that makes sense

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi - the dash cam fuse is 3 amp which is included in the Amazon kit along with the piggyback adaptor .
The piggy back goes into the cigarette lighter fuse position . You then place the original cigarette lighter fuse into the piggy adaptor . Then the 3 amp into the piggy back to power the Dashcam . Basically you are using one fuse box position to power two items but they have their own fuse . Hope that helps .
It’s a bit tight in the fuse box so may require some long nose pliers to help .
See the wiring kit I used below . This is required as drops the power to I believe 5v .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm fitting a dashcam and I'm going to have 2 supplies one switched with ignition and 1 permanent, they'll both go through a 2 way switch so if you want it on when ignition is off you can do, handy when you think there's a chance your car could get damaged.say at the supermarket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm fitting a dashcam and I'm going to have 2 supplies one switched with ignition and 1 permanent, they'll both go through a 2 way switch so if you want it on when ignition is off you can do, handy when you think there's a chance your car could get damaged.say at the supermarket.
Hi Pete22, I have fitted a dash cam but only connected via the cigarette lighter fuse, (off when ignition is off) please can you tell me what fuse you used for the permanent live feed, like you I want to use the parking mode etc. Cheers John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry John I haven't got my lazy ass in gear and done it yet, there should be a few permanent positives, the interior light being one.
Regards Peter

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Sorry John I haven't got my lazy ass in gear and done it yet, there should be a few permanent positives, the interior light being one.
Regards Peter
Are you sure about the interior light being permanently live? The light on my 65plate dci 90 goes out after about 5 minutes even though the door is open

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pretty sure the timer turns the light off but fuse will be live, I'll put a drawing on here this weekend for anyone who wants to know connections, you'll need a 12 volt to 5 volt reducer and a piggyback fuse holder and fuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts