Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an earth point for the dash cam wiring near the fuse box, without having to drill and self-tap for an earth?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Blob
If you take the panel of the dash end at the passenger side , the one with the air bag warning sticker . It just pulls off you can use one of the fixing screws that hold the metal frame inside the dash poss holding the fuse box .
This gives you good access to the wiring and you just loosen the fixing screw and fit the wiring terminal to it , the wiring can be led up the n/s pillar behind the trim out of sight from here .
Johnny R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant Johnny, I would not have thought that panel was removable except by franchise garage. So thanks.

Regards Bob

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have just received one of the Daily Mail "free" with nectar points dashcam, taken a few months to arrive.
I was a bit put off by the fact it is 5v and only works through a reducer in the cig lighter plug supplied but I set to and it was like everyone says dead easy. All the wire tucks behind panels or trim without removing anything, just eased them a bit and pushed it in. Cable supplied plenty long enough. I have a doubler that fits in the cup holder near handbrake and got it back to there so still have a socket free and it also has a usb port. It took me about half an hour,next one would take 10 minutes!. Next problem is trying to read instructions, are they small. I nearly bought a piggyback fuse in anticipation but did not. Should have bought mag glass

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Blob
If you take the panel of the dash end at the passenger side , the one with the air bag warning sticker . It just pulls off you can use one of the fixing screws that hold the metal frame inside the dash poss holding the fuse box .
This gives you good access to the wiring and you just loosen the fixing screw and fit the wiring terminal to it , the wiring can be led up the n/s pillar behind the trim out of sight from here .
Johnny R
I can't get that cover off to find the earth point. Moved about 1cm. Then it's started to crack, white line forming across plastic.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Now I might be missing something,but I can't think of a reason to wire a dashcam into the cars electrics. If you use a satnav on the dash,eg Tom Tom, because the built in one is rubbish,it's plugged into the power outlet by the handbrake not wired in. My dashcam is plugged in to said socket with the cable tucked away behind panels and trim. It comes on with the ignition,goes off with the ignition same as one that is wired in. When I want to use dashcam and sat nav I just plug them both into a double socket adapter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts