Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forum has a lot of comments regarding the inaccuracy of the mpg figures...and some people's disappointment with prognosed figures.
As a 120 EDC owner now for nearly a month, I have to say that we are happy with what we are getting. It's not as high as advertised, but can be pretty close.
My logic on this matter is that the extra power of the 120 is better suited to the body weight of the car, and add to that the superb auto box, and you have a car that works itself being economical when using the eco button, and being fully responsive with eco turned off. You do notice the difference in performance and you do use more fuel.
I'll be very interested to see what 1.5 DCE owners get, because I believe it will be a good match, and an auto box will deliver BETTER fuel economy in some cases. As many a person says it depends on driving style....and how many of you out there will admit to being too heavy footed or changing up or down at the wrong time?

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
924 Posts
I too think the MPG issue has a lot to do with power to weight ratio. I know that from earlier experience that a small engine does not necessarily mean greater MPG, especially if someone is used to a higher performance engine, and is trying to drive the new car like an older well run in vehicle, andtrying to getsimilar acceleration to that higher performance engine.

Modern cars have well tuned engines, and it is easy to get the revs up, get more power and better acceleration. However, none of this will help achieve good MPG.

Being old, I know of 900cc cars that took over twenty seconds to get to 60MPH. 45 MPG was achievable in these petrol cars long before MPG was considered necessary.These days if a car can't reach60MPH in under thirteen seconds, it is thought of as sluggish. Of course, today's roads need the odd rapid acceleration which a modern car is willing to provide. But at the cost of MPG.

Then there is braking. But I'll save that for another day.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct Crossbow! I think it's an interesting subject that not too many people consider...and I won't steal your opportunity to discuss braking as I'm confident it's the same as mine...
I would make one comment only...brakes to stop!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Ythsie, be my guest if you wish to start the braking thread. Your initial comment is a great place to start (or should that be stop)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another important angle just to add to the debate - we only do about 6000 miles a year, mostly short trips, so have always stuck with petrol. Whilst we get about 40mpg around town, have achieved low 50's on a good run, and the car has only done sub 500 miles, I do however enjoy going to the pump and saving 8p a litre compared with diesel. So I am happy to lose a bit on the mpg, but agree the figures are never near the quoted ones. A Friend has a new Audi S6 2.0 diesel estate, very heavy car, was quoted 50-60 mpg by the dealer, he's lucky if he gets 39mpg tops on a good run

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points Nick...I'm in a similar position with my partner who uses it to commute to school daily.
I would have fancied a 1.5 DCE....but it would never have done it good running 5 miles to and from a school.
Holidays are going to change that...as we want to go touring Europe a bit during the summer.
What's a new car for if not to enjoy? A different matter if you need to cover a large mileage for your work. We all have different priorities on here....but we have impecable taste!!
As far as brakes are concerned...use them as little as possible, and anticipate things!
Here in Poland (sorry my compatriots) the driving is abysmal! They sit on your back bumper, then overtake and brake fiercely to find a space in front of you...The only time they don't brake fiercely is when they regularly run red lights!!! A nightmare!! Saying that there are some drivers who are beginning to drive sensibly and are courteous to other road users.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My 1.5 Dci has done nearly 2,000 at 62mpg, of pretty mixed driving. Ive filled it up twice in the last 30 days and is so far its going to save me about £25 a month on fuel alone. Its emissions are in the taxless cost band and my insurance is less. The Dci 90 may be the slowest of the Capturs butthe Deiselengine choice seems the right one for the cars weight and size in general terms of cost efficiency compared to the petrol engines.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My urban cycle at 27MPH is around 37 MPG. The engine is still tight, and I can get 42 MPGon a run in the wilds of Suffolk. No motorways for 60 miles from where I live. Buton the A roads with the 50 MPH speed limits it gives me 42 MPG with a tight engine, but still have reserve to overtake as necessary, I am quite happy.

Look forward to getting an average on my driving style in my area of greater than the 1.6 Megane of 39 MPG.

PS Just to update - I have 1.2l TCE EDC - whatever that means

Regards

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crossbow, I'm going dyslexic in my old age!! I just noticed that the title of this section is TOTALLY SCREWED UP BY ME! It should have read EDC MPG!!
I have the EDC as well and we are returning the same mpg as you are..which is very reassuring...I expect it to improve a little...but can't fault it really.

I wonder what your thoughts are about mud flaps? I'm finding that my little wonder kicks up quite a lot of muck, and I know there are tiny deflectors over the back whells on the arches..but I'm surprised how much muck finds its way under the wheel arches...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not really Tyrfelin...just the state of some Polish roads unfortunately..There tends to be a lot of mud or grit and I want to keep the car `fresh`!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Just to update everyone on my Tce 120 EDC MPG (what a lot of TLAs - Three Letter Acronyms)

I have now done 1000 miles. In the early days, I was getting 37MPG around town, and 42 MPG on cross-country runs. I can now confidently say that those figures are still being achieved; (ECO) on all the time. So I will settle for those figures. I will stop fiddling with the trip computer and set it up now to get an overall MPG, and see if it remains close to my 1.6 Megane, which achieved 39MPG overall.

As the Megane and the Captur have the same BHP if not the same CC, I would continue to hope the Captur will do a little better than 39MPG. If it achieves 40MPG I will be a happy bunny.

PS. I always took Renault's figures with a pinch of sodium chloride, as I don't have a dynamometer, a wind-tunnel or a lab in which to run the tests.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts