Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone in the process of changing my car from Clio diesel to capture diesel but was wondering if there is a great deal to be gained by paying the extra for the 110 Hp engine
I have had test drives on local roads and there does not seem to be a great deal of differance in the driving performance, other than the 6 speed box. And was looking for some advice from other owners.

Many thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 110, but sadly am not tech minded and have no idea if it's better than the 90. I bought a pre reg and it just happened to be 110 in the colour way I wanted. Sorry
Edited by: Clarey37

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
The 90 engine is reputed to be smoother and quieter than the 110. There's little in it, so I believe, in day-to-day driving and mpg and servicing costs etc, although if you are doing a lot of motorway miles the 6-speed box of the 110 may offer better mpg than the 5-speed of the 90, but then how many miles would you have to cover to recoup the extra purchase cost of the 110 over the 90 ?

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
From the website, current versions produce 95gCO2/km (dci 90) and 98 g CO2/km (dci 110) meaning both are £0 per annum VED.

Since I bought my dci 90 EDC, the emissions have been reduced meaning that new ones are £0 VED whereas I pay £20 pa

Fitting Mud & snow tyres as per the SIgnature models push the emissions up into the next band

Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
We have a 90bhp 1.5dci Captur and a 110bhp Juke.<div abp="1363">The 110bhp is much faster and a far better motorway cruiser.
<div abp="1363">My Juke can keep up with a colleagues 140bhp Insignia all the way to illegal speeds.
<div abp="1364">But the engine is a bit boosty/whooshy, meaning the turbo tends to come in with a big whack and it can make it a bit tiring to drive around town.
<div abp="1365">The 90bhp has a smoother throttle response and engine delivery.
<div abp="1365">This is often the way it goes when all they do is stick a bigger turbo/more boost onto an engine.
<div abp="1365">I wouldn't worry about the 6th gear because I don't think there's much difference in overall gearing.
<div abp="1365">In making the gearbox 6 gears, they've made the other 5 gears more closely matched and first, in particular, is much lower.
<div abp="1365">In fact, first gear in the Juke is really useless as soon as the car gets rolling, which I find a bit of a pain.
<div abp="1365">You just seem to need second gear on the Juke far earlier than you do on the Captur.
So it's a case of closer ratios and more gear changing with the 6 speed, or longer ratios and less gear changing with the 5 speed.
<div abp="1365">Unfortunately, a 90bhp Juke wasn't an option.

Edited by: bol d'or

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
STEVEA said:
Exactly the same reason I didn't like the six speed megane we traded. First gear........0-5mph....very quickly.
<div abp="889">
<div abp="890">Yup, then the final drive ratio is about the same as 5th gear is in the Captur.
<div abp="891">The 6th gear is really just there because the narrower powerband of the 110bhp engine needs more gearchanges.
<div abp="892">To be honest, the 1.5dci goes from beinga very nice engine in 90bhp mode to not-so-nice in 110bhp mode.
<div abp="893">It could probably have done with a two-stage turbo, but whacking abig one on instead is cheaper.
<div abp="893">It was the same with my Alpina D3.
<div abp="893">They whacked a big turbo off a 325D onto the 320D engine and it had bad turbo lag....wait for it...wait for it....THERE WE GO WAAHEEEEY!
<div abp="893">When they got around to fitting a twin-stage turbo, much smoother and more responsive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My wife has had a Dci90 for a year, and I bought a Dci110 in September, trading in a Megane coupe DCi110. There's not a lot to choose between them in town. On the motorway the 90 cruises fine at 80+, but doesn't have the same pull on uphill runs.Gearing is different of course, and we both prefer the 6-speed. MPG is about the same on both, at 55 on mixed trips, which equates to about 500 miles on a full tank. I got a decent deal on the 110, and paid less than we paid for the 90plusgot a slightly higher spec, so I'd say if there's not much in the price at your dealer go for the 110. Also, we both find that using VPower diesel smooths out the performance and is worth the extra cost for the fairly low mileage we do.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
With regard to diesel, i put supermarket diesel in the Juke for the first time the other day.
That was a mistake, the difference is tangible.
Lumpy idling, poor throttle response.
Back to Esso/Shell for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello

When i though in buying a Captur the first issue that i've encontered, because at the time i didn't have the knowldgement, and said imeddiatly to my wife was;

That's not an option, a car with 1265Kg weight with justo 90 hp is a poor car in motor terms, after knowing that captur since middle 2015 have the 110 hp version, i choose to buy it.

All the reviews i've readed tell the same thing; the 110 version is better, make the captur a more suitable car, the diesel consumption is nearly the same.

The truth is even the petrol version with 90 hp is a weak power to a car with the weight of the Captur, to city could perfectily do the service but if you go with it in some travels, some crossroads ou even highways with some weight and some climbs to do during the journey you wil find out a big difference.

This is my opinion.

Cheers and merry christams to you all

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Looking at the BHP only is wrong.<div abp="1155">The 90bhp Captur has plenty of torque, that's what matters.
<div abp="1156">It has enough torque to make it quite a lively performer.
<div abp="1157">Not fast, but lively enough.
<div abp="1157">
<div abp="1157">And as I said before, as someone who owns both a 90bhp and 110bhp 1.5dci car and regulary swaps between them, the 90bhp version has some definite advantages over the 110bhp.
<div abp="1157">The primary advantage being a first gear that is actually of some use.
First gear on the 6-speed gearbox of the 110bhp is a joke, a very annoying joke.
<div abp="1157">
<div abp="1157">On the 6 speed gearbox it gets very tiring to have to change into second as soon as the car is rolling, especially around town.
<div abp="1157">You can stay in 1st gear in the 90bhp 5-speed for longer, so less gearchanging.
<div abp="1157">
<div abp="1157">
<div abp="1158">

·
Registered
62 Posts
I previously purchased a 6 speed Juke diesel as much for the 6 speed box as for the fuel consumption, as I was used to 6 speed in petrol engined cars and was never happy with the 5 speed box of the petrol Juke on the motorway as it was noisy in 5th gear. I was not happy with the 6 speed box on the Juke diesel either, living on the Pennines and traversing country lanes the gears get a bit of stick and as Bol says first is pretty useless. However I find the 5 speed on the Captur diesel adequate for both hills in lower gears and 5th on motorway runs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
...In the end it's down to personal preference I guess. Both versions are good cars and compare well with the competition. I'm just waiting for diesel cars to be banned anywherethat hasa 30mph speed limit.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
2Caps said:
I'm just waiting for diesel cars to be banned anywherethat hasa 30mph speed limit.
A long way off inthe UK I think, especially when the government pushed people to change to diesel relatively recently by encouraging low Co2 cars.
Holland is banning the sale of all new ICE cars in 2025 I noticed though.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Ren said:
I believe it's currently only at the proposal stage.
It does seem a little optimistic/silly, only 8 years away.
Especially when the choice of electric cars is stilllimited and costs are high.

·
Registered
22 Posts
HelloA very big discuss for something that'svery simple to analise.
The best way to compare between 90 hp or 110 hp is to find someone with experience with the engines.
I personnaly have the knowledge about what is the 90 hp engine and the 110 hp engine as i usually drive both and in my opinion 90hp version is a lazy engine, if you want hte car just "to make a walk on the park", ok.
The user Bol d'or have is own opinion and is his own opinion and so, about that nothing to been said.
Is not the torque that's important, torque is just one more item to constructors use as marketing, but even in torque perfomance the engine torque, 110 hp version have more 40 NM than the 90 hp version; while the 90hp version make available 200NM of his torque from 1750 rpm to a maximum of 220NM at 2500rpm; the 110hp version make available his max torque immediately at 1750 rpm as you can see downloading the "1.5 dCI/K9K (Euro 5 - Euro 6 ready) - dCI 75, dCI90, dCI110" brochure at "http://www.powertrain.renault.com/our-range/powertrain-units-of-our-range/1.5-dcik9k", is a much more generous engine.

Is the best way to compare engine perfomances, this brochure as well users reviews that could bee found in the internet.

My experience is that there is a very significant diference between the 2 engines and the fuel consumption is nearly the same.

About the 6 speed gearbox, i don't have the minimum problem with her, don't think that she's "a joke" and as someone already said it make the engine much more less noisily and is what make the consumptions of the 110hp version very much the same as the 90hp version.
And if i as soon the car rolling have to change to 2º gear, in compensation many of the entraces in roudabouts and intersections i don´t have to engage the 1º gear to have perfomance enough, but this is dryving styles, i admit it. In my opinion the "some use" of the 1º gear at the 90hp version is these situations.

Make a trip with some weight in the car on 90 hp version and make an overtaking and after that make the same with 110hp version or even climb a hill.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife owns a captur dci 90, we purchased this just before
the 110 came out. recently we have been driving regularly with four adults and
some luggage in the car and noticed the car was feeling underpowered on motorway
inclines and on our local dual carriageway which has a long uphill section of
about one mile, we were thinking of changing the captur for a kadjar 1.6 dci
130bhp but decided to try a remap first as my wife loves the captur.

We looked at all the different option but because we still have
nearly 2 ½ years left on the warranty we
went with a Bluefin remap, we can remove this before any servicing or warranty work.
The captur now feels much more responsive and doesn't lose speed on hills like
it did before, in gear acceleration is a lot better the mpg is still the same.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts