Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to change my Nissan Juke and go for something different. After looking at many small SUVs and crossovers found Captur to be the best choice. As I never buy new but always ex-demo with about 1500 or less miles I looked around and found few that fit the bill. One was advertised by Autotrader for Renault Retail Group for £16000. I contacted them and spoke to salesman Matthew who was slightly surprised as he was not aware that car was up for sale yet but promised to ring me back with more info.
And did he do just that!! I was informed that the car is for sale, it is still used for demo purpose and - at this point everyone take a deep breath - it will be £16000 plus 20% VAT. When I said that second hand non-commercial vehicles are not charged extra VAT he assured me that they are. I told him that lies and deceit is what gives car salesmen their distinctive attributes he continued to assure me that this second hand car with £2000 miles on the clock is going for the price tag of £19200
After having written a letter to Renault Retail Group customer service I was advised to contact sales manager David Smart.
Imagine my surprise when
I got the same story from Mr Smart. Reason for VAT? "We sometime sell to hire fleets" was part of his explanation. So? I am not hire company, what has that to do with me? The rest of the explanation made even less sense unless you are salesman for Renault Retail Group
Found what I was looking for in Morecambe, helpful staff, informative, getting it Saturday.
And no 20% VAT on top

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Vbl, interesting story amazing what some car dealers get up to. It's a wonder some of them are still dealing.
I place value on customer service if they let you down at the first hurdle what are they going to be like for the rest of the race?
Glad you got sorted in the end, there are decent dealers out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Calling someone a deceitful liar is rather strong don't you think? Especially since you are apparently clueless and don't know your arse from your elbow. There can be VAT qualifying cars - I'm not even going to attempt to explain because others have obviously tried but you were too dim to understand. Go Google it and stop being so righteously obnoxious.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congratulations RogerBullocks!!!

You are the first rude person I have come across on this forum.

I would say welcome but as far as I am concerned you and your attitude are not welcome here at all.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Vbl said:
Decided to change my Nissan Juke and go for something different. After looking at many small SUVs and crossovers found Captur to be the best choice. As I never buy new but always ex-demo with about 1500 or less miles I looked around and found few that fit the bill. One was advertised by Autotrader for Renault Retail Group for £16000. I contacted them and spoke to salesman Matthew who was slightly surprised as he was not aware that car was up for sale yet but promised to ring me back with more info.
And did he do just that!! I was informed that the car is for sale, it is still used for demo purpose and - at this point everyone take a deep breath - it will be £16000 plus 20% VAT. When I said that second hand non-commercial vehicles are not charged extra VAT he assured me that they are. I told him that lies and deceit is what gives car salesmen their distinctive attributes he continued to assure me that this second hand car with £2000 miles on the clock is going for the price tag of £19200
After having written a letter to Renault Retail Group customer service I was advised to contact sales manager David Smart.
Imagine my surprise when
I got the same story from Mr Smart. Reason for VAT? "We sometime sell to hire fleets" was part of his explanation. So? I am not hire company, what has that to do with me? The rest of the explanation made even less sense unless you are salesman for Renault Retail Group
Found what I was looking for in Morecambe, helpful staff, informative, getting it Saturday.
And no 20% VAT on top

At that price it would make it more expensive than the price in the brochure. Which includes vat
And we'll done on getting the car you want at the Right price !

Edited by: LynG

·
Registered
4 Posts
I apologise if you find my straight talking attitude rude. My comments were written to provoke, but only because I was so annoyed by your post. Would you not agree that calling someone a liar and deceitful isn't bordering on rude? If not, it's impolite at the extreme. Especially since you are 100% wrong.Perhaps you do know your arse from your elbow on other matters but when it comes to VAT and used cars, apparently do not.You are a senior member, I'm just a newbie, but the number of posts you make do not make your opinions more right. VAT can be chargeable on a used car, hopefully you would have googled this by now.

·
Registered
405 Posts
VAT is chargeable ONLY on the PROFIT i.e. the difference between the cost and selling price of a used car not on the selling price.

·
Registered
279 Posts
RogerBullocks

You are getting yourself confused. I am not the original poster. The original post was made in September 2013. If you had read a few posts on the forum you would find that some folk have been messed about quite royally by some dealers.

My opinion is just that, my opinion. I'll go further and say that you probably have far more experience in the car business than I have. You could have shared your knowledge in a more positive way. My comment was based on your reaction. Folk on here try to help and advise each other.

So which model and colours have you gone for with your Captur?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't want to open a can of worms but vat can be charged in 1 of 2 ways in the uk both are legal 1 is the total profit on the car the other is the total transaction cost of the car it depends on the dealer 1 way requires more paperwork and records to be kept than the other.There is no legal requirement for you to be told or for it to be advertised but you can ask which way vat will be applied and then make your own decision.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if I'm a bit naive to the intricacies of how these forums work.However, bandying around words like deceitful and suggesting that all car dealers are dishonest is not entirely fair, nor positive, and should be challenged in the strongest possible terms.

Of course I'm bias - I do work work in the industry and I do work for a Renault dealer. I suppose it's hard not to take such generalisations just a tad personally. As for being "messed about" by dealers, I can only sympathise. There have been supply issues regarding Captur in the UK, but that is no excuse for not keeping a customer properly informed.

Hats off to Goldy who is half there. VAT is chargeable on the margin profit of a car. If the car was originally bought by an organisation that can claim the VAT back then VAT is chargeable on the total selling price of the car not just the profit. It took me a bit of time to get my head around it.

I personally love the Captur, and not only because I work for a Renault dealer. I've ordered a Dynamique in black with the diesel automatic engine. Compared to five years ago, the mpgs on the autos are so much better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello RogerBullocks

Well since you do know your **** from your elbow with regard to the Renault and it's dealer network, then you will be a useful source of information for us all, if you choose to be.

Some folk get a bit heated when the dealers are not entirely straight with them - my Captur that was scheduled for delivery at Southampton on 28th May has mysteriously vanished and now won't be available until 'sometime in September'. The dealer 'forgot' to mention this to me....

Anyway, despite what I said earlier, welcome aboard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Capturman_Peter. I would be surprised (perhaps even a little disappointed) if Renault did not already engage with the community in some respect. I can't claim to talk on behalf of Renault or even my dealer butI am happy to help as I can even if you're not buying a car from me.

As I understand it, Captur is rather a victim of it's own success when it comes to supply (a bit like Dacia). Although I can't speak on behalf of your particular dealer in your particular case, I do know that many of our own sales team very much fret about telling customers about their cars being delayed. If everyone stopped buying them then the problem would be solved. Then again I'd probably be out of a job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regardless of whether a car is VAT margin (VAT paid on the difference between cost and selling) or VAT qualifying (VAT paid on the cost of the vehicle), a dealer should always advertise the total price of the car and not add VAT to that price.

·
Registered
308 Posts
RogerBullocks said:
Thank you Capturman_Peter. I would be surprised (perhaps even a little disappointed) if Renault did not already engage with the community in some respect. I can't claim to talk on behalf of Renault or even my dealer butI am happy to help as I can even if you're not buying a car from me.

As I understand it, Captur is rather a victim of it's own success when it comes to supply (a bit like Dacia). Although I can't speak on behalf of your particular dealer in your particular case, I do know that many of our own sales team very much fret about telling customers about their cars being delayed. If everyone stopped buying them then the problem would be solved. Then again I'd probably be out of a job.
Now you have ordered your new captur....you will be able to see why there are delays as the car is so popular..Enjoy the car....

·
Registered
921 Posts
gu7brian said:
Regardless of whether a car is VAT margin (VAT paid on the difference between cost and selling) or VAT qualifying (VAT paid on the cost of the vehicle), a dealer should always advertise the total price of the car and not add VAT to that price.

Spot on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts