Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to test drive today but got a rookie who could not answer my questions - is anyone able to help? I am currently a Nissan Juke driver due a change & looking at the Medianav S diesel. How many miles do you get from a tank of fuel ( the Juke has a tank the size of a peanut so always filling up!). I also do not understand why you cannot enter the full postcode in the sat nav and to do this I need RLink...£450 for 2 letters in a postcode seems quite steep! I want a reversing camera and seen some info that says this comes free with RLink and other bits that say you have to pay for it on top...really confused!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not sure on a realistic full tank distance however if you take teh combined MPG of 76.4 and a tank is 45 litres you will be looking at 540 miles to a tank.

You can have full postcode settings on the MediaNav, you can download it once you have the car for £55.

The reversing camera isn't standard on any Captur it is a cost option of £350however only if you have the R-Link ; this costs £450.

HTH

·
Registered
84 Posts
The postcode update for a Medianav (not rlink) was a simple low cost update about 10 quid as far as I remember.Reversing camera is an 'add on' option to either the medianav or the Rlink I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! My Juke is lucky to get 350 miles from a full tank anything above this would be fantastic! Why does the nav sat not take a full postcode - I have never heard of anything so bizarre. I travel a lot and often just get sent the postcode and I really don't want to spend my life lost. I know the rear camera is an upgrade on the nav sat but why is some info saying it comes with RLink?!?

·
Registered
84 Posts
My handbook says the tank is 40 or 45 litres depending on vehicle. As I have never got more than 39 litres in I assume mine is 40 litres which gives a range of a little over 400 miles.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You can only have the reversing camera IF you have R link. It costs extra on top od R link . As for postcodes, if you decide on Media Nav, the above info about an upgrade is correct for the postcode search.
I have R link and think it's worth the extra money. Tom Tom maps, better sound system plus a host of other features....and I wanted the camera..so I was prepared to pay extra. It's an excellent system....only had an initial teething problem with maps..but it seems to have cleared up.
Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ythsie said:
You can only have the reversing camera IF you have R link.

Note quite true.... I have Medianav and Reversing camera fitted as an option ... no problems, It does work and is a std option which can be added.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the car & kit but have been spoilt by all the 'toys' on the Juke. Will price up the RLink, camera & heated seats (I cannot live without these on the early morning cold winter starts!). On the R Link is the Tom Tom live worth the extra cost?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Can't really judge that because I cannot compare it to the other system. I spoiled myself, as it was my first new car and took almost every additional option..including very good heated seats...chrome mirrors, exhaust tailpipe, door sill protectors, front parking sensors and rear camera and sensors, R link for its maps and excellent sound system and feedback about driving and economy, arm rest, and bumper 'strengtheners' which look great, but are basically plastic..
BlueMeannie...thanks for that comment..I was always led to believe that reversing camera was not available on Media Nav...Good to know...sorry for posting something inaccurately!Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
741 Posts
BlueMeanie said:
Ythsie said:
You can only have the reversing camera IF you have R link.

Note quite true.... I have Medianav and Reversing camera fitted as an option ... no problems, It does work and is a std option which can be added.

You can now only get the reversing camera if you have an R-Link.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Back to my original comment then?
I was sure I was told that in Poland back in July 2013...interesting...marketing perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
The reversing camera is hellishly expensive for what it is, and Renault aren't the only offender amongst car manufacturers in this respect. The camera chip itself is a couple of quid, a camera module completewill probably bearound £10 to Renault (the company I work for buys in a similar unit), plus a bit of wiring and the relevant interface on the medianav unit.You can probably buy an aftermarket reverse camera for less than the £350 (iirc) on top of the extra £450 for the R-link.... £800 for a reversing camera !

EDIT: Do you really need it, or won't the parking sensors suffice?

Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As highlighted, I have been spoilt by the Juke (this was standard on theirs). I find I can impress most colleagues with the brilliant reverse parking completed first time....I would not like them to know I was a fake! To be honest it's great when collecting my little one from primary as you can see any little ones as they run behind you...for me it's safety. I am still shocked at the sat nav that doesn't do a full postcode.....

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
It's under a fiver to upgrade the standard medianav satnav to full postcode, you don't need to fork out £450 for R-link (unless you are determined to have that reversing camera!)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Expensive....but a good system...
believe me...my good lady likes it as a back up...pardon the punn...as the Captur does have a few blind spots..
It is a matter of priorities however...

·
Registered
741 Posts
I hate reversing cameras and I believe they are just not needed and a are a gimmick; it's not as if the Captur is a big car and hard to park.

As for the retail cost being way more than the actual cost of supplying and fitting one; well you could say that about most options; metallic paint, depending on who you believe costs either a fiver more than non metallic to produce or actually costs less than non metallic paint to produce due to the volume differences; does it cost anything like £275 to have alloys painted black?!

You can have the whole Captur painted Ivory for £225; want only the roof painted ivory and it will cost £300!!

Factory options are a big money maker for manufacturers; take Ferrari for instance, according to a thread on a different forum dealers won't take orders for one of the 458 models unless customers spec at least £25,000 worth of options as the dealer won't get any bonus money on the car. Edited by: HTP99

1 - 17 of 17 Posts