Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For most of the time since I bought my secondhand 2016 Captur dCi, the weather's been cold or cool, especially first thing in the morning, so I've been used to having the heating on. But now I want it off and the aircon on instead.

Is it actually possible to switch the manual heating control off altogether, so that the LED on the rotary knob which indicates the 'minimum' heater setting doesn't light up at all? Or will it be lit up all summer long, even though I'm only using the air-blower system to blow cold air?

I worry that if the LED which indicates the minimum setting is illuminated on the rotary heating control knob, it must mean that the heater is actually activated and that not only is electricity being wasted but that the heater element will be wearing out needlessly too. The blurb in the Driver's Handbook doesn't seem to cover this. Could some kind soul possibly explain? Ta.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
Welcome. It would help if you told us if you have climate control or the basic air con. With climate control (automatic air con) it heats and cools. If you press "auto" it will sort itself out to the temperature that you have set, and will adjust the fan speed too. I just leave mine on "auto" and 21 deg C all year round, the only time I alter it is to defrost the front screen or remove excess mist off the inside of the windscreen

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only "electrical" heating is for the rear window and mirrors. The car heater is just engine heat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses thus far. Ivor, my Captur has the Automatic Climate Control system but I've been using manual mode because that's the sort of lo-tech person I am and anyway I don't find the Driver's Handbook very helpful. I also use the wipers and the headlamps manually.

TwoDogs - so the rotary heater control simply opens up a vent which lets in heat from the engine bay? I never knew that. Does the fact that an LED remains illuminated on the control knob even when it's turned all the way down mean that the vent to the engine is still slightly open? If so, can it be shut down altogether? I ask because I have a feeling that when I bought the car, there was no light showing on the rotary knob, which appeared to make sense. There isn't some kind of on-off switch for the heating system, is there - right under my nose? Or do we all spend all summer driving around with one LED lit up on the rotary heater knob?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes the cabin heating is via the hot water circulation system which is engine heat. That's why it takes a few minutes to warm up first thing. On mine I have leds on the heater control knob and also on the fan speed control. There is a third led for Auto mode. I think the left hand led is lit when the fan is operating. And extinguish when the fan is fully off I think. If you have the circulation fans on you will have to live with the led on the temp control. If the a/c is turned off manually then the temp control will manage only the hot water flow through the system as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts